VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi,

im looking for a program that supports direct stream copy for mp4 just as virtualdub does for avi. I tired avidemux but it get an error saying the video saves incomplete and its true because it only muxes half of it.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MpegStreamClip. But you need to cut on I frames only, same goes for AviDemux.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    mpegstreamclip......and be sure to use the File->Save to avoid any reconversion.

You could also try free video editor(ADWARE) and video to video converter(editing under tools in the program).

But if avidemux says that the video is incomplete it might not working with any software.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks, but i just realized i ****ed up. The video im trying to split is a mkv and then append a mp4. Is it possible?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can't append video streams unless they're the same codec and even then the encoder settings need to be identical. Even then, it may not work.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1679243#post1679243

If you don't mind MKV as the output, try opening the MKV with MKVMergeGUI and then appending the MP4. MKVMergeGUI can also split, but it needs to split on keyframes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. hmm, no, it didnt work. I got this error:

mkvmerge v6.9.1 ('Blue Panther') 64bit built on Apr 18 2014 18:23:38
    'file-002.mkv': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Matroska'.
    'file.mp4': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'QuickTime/MP4'.
    file-002.mkv' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/h.264'.
    'file-002.mkv' track 1: Using the output module for the format 'AAC'.
    'file.mp4' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/h.264'.
    'file.mp4' track 1: Using the output module for the format 'AAC'.

Do i need conversion inevitably??
    Quote Quote  
  7. The above doesn't show any error. There's separate errors/warnings sections which displays those.

Chances are, you'll need to re-encode and join them in the process. Do the two videos have the same resolution and aspect ratio etc? Aside from the encoder settings, they won't append correctly unless they do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, i had to reencode, but i lose a lot of quality with that. This is my situation.

I have a video in mp4 which i need to add ASS subtitles to. I have yet another mp4 but i didnt make it myself so its made with a different encoding. Quality is excellent and i dont want to mess up with it, in fact i dont need to touch it in anyway, except to insert a clip into about the middle. However, i need to put but together in a single video. What do you advice me to do? Whats the best program and settings i can use so i dont lose quality? The easiest thing for me is to do everything with virtualdub but then i can save to avi only.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'd do it with MeGUI, but it'd involve a bit of Avisynth knowledge in order to join files together and/or edit.

If you're comfortable with VirtualDub, the latest version has an option for setting up an external encoder configuration. It's a pain, but once you get it working you can output x264/MKV etc. Alternatively.... do everything you'd normally do using VirtualDub and save the output as a lossless AVI. That way you won't lose any quality while editing and re-encoding. Lagarith is a quite popular lossless encoder. The output file size will be fairly large, but when you're done you can re-encode the lossless AVI with any GUI capable of x264 encoding. If you output several AVIs you can open and append them with either VirtualDub or MKVMergeGUI and save the output as a single AVI/MKV for re-encoding.

If you re-encode with x264 and it's single pass, quality based encoding method, a quality setting (CRF value) of 18 should be pretty transparent. If you want absolute perfection, you could take the CRF value down as low as 16, but naturally it'll increase the output file size.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi, with external encoder configuration you mean frameserver or a complete different feature? Because that might me my best option.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If I had to choose between option A or B, I'd go with "a completely different feature".

It took me a while to get it working the first time but I really only set it up as an exercise. I don't use VirtualDub for encoding (except to a lossless AVI).

The option is under Options/External Encoders.

If it helps get you started, this is the x264 commandline I used which seems to work. It's been a while but I think all the settings in blue are VirtualDub options and required. The ones in black are the extra x264 encoder settings I use. You'll need --stitchable if you're planning on appending encodes later.

--level 4.1 --preset slow --tune film --crf 18.0 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --vbv-maxrate 62500 --stitchable --demuxer raw --input-csp i420 --input-res %(width)x%(height) --fps %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -o "%(tempvideofile)" -

Once you've set up an encoder profile, it needs to be added as an "encoder set" in order to use it. It took me a little while to work that one out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vd.gif
Views:	2320
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	24888
    Last edited by hello_hello; 30th Apr 2014 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks, i didnt know about the new option. My version was pretty old, i just downloaded the latest one. However my first problem would be to join the 2 videos which are not avi and are not made with the same encoding settings. Can megui do that? My problems would be over if there is a way to load ASS subs with vegas or adobe AE. Then everything would be much easier.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think i got an idea. I would like to trythat option you suggested. However, i dont have any encoders folder in my virtualdub installation. Where do i get it from? Or is it enough with linking to the x264 codec installation on my computer? (wherever that is).

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just download the x264 encoder and put it somewhere. I created the VirtualDub/encoders folder myself, but you can put it wherever you like.

MeGUI can edit video when encoding but it does it via Avisynth scripts. It has an AVS Cutter under the Tools menu. If you want to encode parts of a video you can open it with MeGUI and it'll help you create a script (cropping, resizing, hardcoded subtitles etc etc) and then it'll save the script for encoding. That's how you'd normally set up an encode, but you can open the script with the AVS Cutter and specify multiple start and end frames for encoding. When you're done you'll be encoding just the bits you want. It's really no different to editing with VirtualDub in that respect. The audio is handled separately but the AVS Cutter can save a file to load into the audio section so it can be encoded to match. Or there's an Audio Cutter under the tools menu which will split and rejoin the audio without re-encoding it.

Mostly if I want to combine different videos as a single file I encode them individually and append the encodes together with MKVMergeGUI, but you can combine multiple scripts as single encoding job, as long as they created with the same resolution etc... you just need to do that part "manually".

Why not just open the files in question with VirtualDub and resave them as lossless AVIs? Then you can freely edit, split and append those AVIs with VirtualDub and save the final version as a single AVI for re-encoding. Admittedly if it involves working with large files it mightn't be speedy, but it should be fairly easy, especially if you already know your way around Virtualdub.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 30th Apr 2014 at 14:53.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi again,

ultimately, i decided to try out your suggestion. I put the enconder in a folder and i set up the profile on virtualdub but im getting an error that says:

The video encoding processing has exited prematurely error code of -1 (fffffff)

What could i be doing wrong? I donwloaded the encoder from here: http://download.videolan.org/pub/x264/binaries/win64/x264-r2431-ac76440.exe
    since i have windows 64 bit.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm not a VirtualDub expert and I'm running XP, but are you using the 64 bit version of VirtualDub? If not you might need to in order to use the 64 bit version of x264. I have no idea to be honest.

Next best guess.... did you copy the commandline I posted exactly, including the space and dash at the end? They'd be easy to miss, and it won't work without them.

I just gave it a quick test with the following commandline and it definitely worked:

--level 4.1 --preset slow --tune film --crf 18.0 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --vbv-maxrate 62500 --no-fast-pskip --stitchable --demuxer raw --input-csp i420 --input-res %(width)x%(height) --fps %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -o "%(tempvideofile)" -
    While I was looking, here's the commandlines I have working for audio:

AFTEN (AC3) (192kbps constant bitrate)
    -readtoeof 1 -v 0 -b 192 - %(tempaudiofile) -
    FLAC (maximum compression)
    -8 -o %(tempaudiofile) -
    NeroAAC (default variable bitrate quality setting):
    -q 0.50 -ignorelength -if - -of %(tempaudiofile) -
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hmm, i dont know what im doing wrong. Im positive im copy-pasting the command as you posted but still no use. I even got virtual dub 64 bit version and i got the same error. This is what i did step by step:

1. I went to external encoders and on the encoders tab i created a new profile like this:

-Type: Video encoder.

-Program: The exact location of the one i posted above

-Command arguments: --level 4.1 --preset slow --tune film --crf 18.--level 4.1 --preset slow --tune film --crf 18.0 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --vbv-maxrate 62500 --no-fast-pskip --stitchable --demuxer raw --input-csp i420 --input-res %(width)x%(height) --fps %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -o "%(tempvideofile)" -

-Output filename: %(outputname).mp4

And i checked the first 3 checkboxes then OK.

2. I went to encoder sets and i created a new profile like this:

-Video encoder: the one i just created above.

-Audio encoder: I dont need one right now so i set it to none

-Multiplexer: none

-File extension: mp4

Then OK.

3. I went to file -> Export -> Using external encoder and selected the one i just created.

After that the output window appears but immediately after that i get the error i posted above. Really there is not much else to say.

Thank you for your patience.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    My problems would be over if there is a way to load ASS subs with vegas or adobe AE. Then everything would be much easier.
    You can in AE with a script
    http://aescripts.com/pt_ssakaraokeanimator/

Or a free way would be to use avisynth with masksub() to generate a transparent overlay with subs, to overlay onto your video . You can either encode the video (e.g. using lagarith or ut video codec using RGBA mode) or use avfs to frameserve the .avs into vegas or any program

For your other vdub issues, I would try 32bit vdub - that's the one everyone uses because it's more stable, and many plugins are 32bit, stable avisynth builds are 32bit
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    Yes, i had to reencode, but i lose a lot of quality with that. This is my situation.

I have a video in mp4 which i need to add ASS subtitles to. I have yet another mp4 but i didnt make it myself so its made with a different encoding. Quality is excellent and i dont want to mess up with it, in fact i dont need to touch it in anyway, except to insert a clip into about the middle. However, i need to put but together in a single video. What do you advice me to do? Whats the best program and settings i can use so i dont lose quality? The easiest thing for me is to do everything with virtualdub but then i can save to avi only.

Did you need to hardcode the ASS subs ? or softsubs ?

The highest quality way would be using smart rendering software to append the edited segments , edit the ASS subs so they match (because you are inserting in a clip in the middle, that will screw with the sub timing) . Smart render /join the segments using something like videoredo, solveigmm video splitter or tmpgenc smart renderer . Smart rendering is like direct stream copy for the unaffected segments. Only a few frames around the cutsites might need to be re-encoded

If you re-encode in vegas or vdub, you will incur 1 generation loss, or be stuck with huge filesizes if you use a lossless codec . But if you need to hardcode the subs, that point is moot, because you would need to re-encode at least once anyways
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    After that the output window appears but immediately after that i get the error i posted above. Really there is not much else to say.

Thank you for your patience.
    I'm fairly sure the x264 encoder can't output directly to MP4. At least not the standard commandline version. There may be a modded version which can.

It doesn't seem to make any difference which extension you use when setting up the x264 encoder profile, but if you use MP4 when adding it to an encoder set..... well it produced the same error when I tried it. If you're keen on MP4 you'd need to either add an external muxer to an encoder set (which I haven't tried myself), or use 264 as the extension, then mux the output into an MP4 yourself with something like MyMP4BoxGUI.

If there's a version of the x264 encoder which can output directly to MP4, someone else will hopefully know. There definitely was at some stage because MeGUI was able to do it. The option was removed a while ago.... the entry in MeGUI's log file says:
    [x264] disabled direct mp4 output as the official builds do not have this support enabled anymore
    Last edited by hello_hello; 1st May 2014 at 12:25.
    Quote Quote  
  21. ^yes it's true certain compiled versions of x264 don't have mp4 support

You can check by using x264 -help

Or use a compiled x264 version that is known to have mp4 support
    http://komisar.gin.by/
    Quote Quote  
  22. There's probably a better place to get them, but a google and a read of a couple of forum threads led me to Simple x264/x265 Launcher, which apparently includes x264 versions which support MP4 output, so I downloaded it and gave "x264_8bit_x86.exe" a spin with VirtualDub and it happily gave me an MP4 output. It's the only one I tested, but it'd appear the other x264 versions which come bundled with Simple x264/x265 Launcher also support MP4 output.
    (Don't use the 10bit x264 versions if you want the encoder to be playable on a standalone player. Stick to the 8 bit version, which comes in either 32 bit or 64 bit flavours.

In other words, use either "x264_8bit_x64.exe" or "x264_8bit_x86.exe". Once you install Simple x264 Launcher, you'll find them in the "Simple x264 Launcher\toolset" folder.

Edit. Or I see poisondeathray posted a link. See if you can find a version with MP4 support. I haven't looked around on that site yet. I'm out of time at the moment....
    Last edited by hello_hello; 1st May 2014 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try to post a vdprof file to use with newer versions of Virtualdub and the external encoder feature. You can search here or the Virtualdub forum for all the encoders and instructions for how to use them (or you can cheat and download Selur's Hybrid program that has most of the updated CLI encoders. I use the newest version of mkvmerge which supports x265/DivX265 and the GPAC version of mp4box.exe. Just remove .txt from the end of the vdprof file. You have to make sure that the path to the encoders are correct.

EDIT: I don't know if any of these encoder sets work or not. I installed Comodo firewall and it is blocking everything I try to do. I can download and upload without a problem but It won't let me run any execute files. I can't use Virtualdub or any command line encoder since they are all .exe files.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by DarrellS; 2nd May 2014 at 05:09.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thanks for your help, guys.

First off, i do need to hardcode the ASS subs. I tried the plugin poisondeathray suggested which looked like a great option at first but unfortunately it doesnt seem to keep either the styles or positions as defined in the ASS file so its kinda useless for me. Its a shame because that would have pretty much solved all my problems.

Secondly, i cant use any kind of smart rendering with mkv files in virtualdub and i cant combine files either because they have different encoding settings. What im doing right now is to save all parts one by one as uncompressed avis (which is extremely painful because i end up with too large files) and then join them with virtualdub again, do all my edits and finally render to avi which is the only output format virtualdub supports as of now that i havent been able to figure out how to fix the external encoders issue.

I went to http://komisar.gin.by/ but i cant tell which one is supposed to support mp4.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by supercain View Post

First off, i do need to hardcode the ASS subs. I tried the plugin poisondeathray suggested which looked like a great option at first but unfortunately it doesnt seem to keep either the styles or positions as defined in the ASS file so its kinda useless for me. Its a shame because that would have pretty much solved all my problems.
    Since you need to hardcode, everything is simpler because re-encoding is a must

You can do it with avisynth (the appending/joining) , and the hardsubbing (e.g. using vsfilter, assrender, or xy-vsfilter ) -> they keep the formats/styles/fonts/effects

Secondly, i cant use any kind of smart rendering with mkv files in virtualdub and i cant combine files either because they have different encoding settings. What im doing right now is to save all parts one by one as uncompressed avis (which is extremely painful because i end up with too large files) and then join them with virtualdub again, do all my edits and finally render to avi which is the only output format virtualdub supports as of now that i havent been able to figure out how to fix the external encoders issue.
    Smart rendering is mostly pointless if you're hardsubbing - I suppose it might be useful if there are long sections without subs

I went to http://komisar.gin.by/ but i cant tell which one is supposed to support mp4.
    All of CLI binaries do (the VFW versions are for VFW applications like vdub - they actually do too but you have to use it on the commandline, and audio isn't muxed in)
    Quote Quote  
  26. I have tried avisynth before and i really found it painful to do things. Im mostly used to virtualdub and in fact, since i already have all the settings and edits templates made, i would rather stick to it. What im not really sure about is the command lines for compression. I would like to achieve an output like this:

AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 22mn 25s
    Nominal bit rate : 3 072 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.049
    Writing library : x264 core 120 r2120 0c7dab9
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.40:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=8 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3072 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=6144 / vbv_bufsize=15360 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.60
    These are the specifications of my source video according to mediainfo so i would like the output to be as close as possible. Could i achieve that f i use the encoder you suggested and the command line as above?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    I have tried avisynth before and i really found it painful to do things. Im mostly used to virtualdub and in fact, since i already have all the settings and edits templates made, i would rather stick to it. What im not really sure about is the command lines for compression. I would like to achieve an output like this:
    It's worth learning, because it makes so many video/audio tasks so much easier. Very powerful. You'd be done by now

AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 22mn 25s
    Nominal bit rate : 3 072 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.049
    Writing library : x264 core 120 r2120 0c7dab9
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.40:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=8 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3072 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=6144 / vbv_bufsize=15360 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.60
    These are the specifications of my source video according to mediainfo so i would like the output to be as close as possible. Could i achieve that f i use the encoder you suggested and the command line as above?

There is a program called mis2x264 by selur that can take mediainfo string and produce x264 encoder arguments

Unless your other videos were encoded with different -sps-id 's or --stitchable, you 're likely not going to be able to join this without glitches even if the settings matched perfectly. You will have higher probabilty of success with smart rendering (and even they can have problems with some streams). Good luck spending hours fiddling with this
    Quote Quote  
  28. By using avisynth you mean creating a script and then frameserve with virtualdub to another program? Or by a different method?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    By using avisynth you mean creating a script and then frameserve with virtualdub to another program? Or by a different method?
    Yes, Since you're hardsubbing , you have to re-encode anyway, so you might as well use avisynth (it's basically doing all your uncompressed steps that you are currently doing, without the uncompressed video HDD space requirements, or extra steps, or risk of not joining) . You do your joins/edits and hardsub right in the script. You're doing and encoding everything in 1 go, it's the fastest, 100% foolproof way .

The actual encoding can be done by vdub, or any program that accepts avs scripts (you can use avfs, and any program will) . Other commonly used GUI's for x264 are ripbot, megui, xvid4psp, simple x264 launcher

Very few approaches in video are clear cut (usually there are multiple ways to do something, each with pros/cons) - but in this case there is one fastest/best way for what you want to do

Smart rendering hardsubbed x264 encoded videos with one of the 3 programs above (not vdub, it' doesn't smart render AVC properly, very often there are glitches, frames out of order, green frames) will give you a higher probability of a successful join than trying to match encoding settings and doing it by trial and error - but slightly lower quality because the join sites at the GOP's boundaries will be re-encoded . Also not 100% guarenteed to work, chances of non-union and glitches although not as common a problem as vdub with AVC

You have the vegas (or NLE) import option using masksub() with the transparent overlay - and it will work, but I wouldn't do this, it's a waste of time compared to using a script for the joins and hardsubbing . You do that only if you need to do something in vegas (or the other program you're importing into) , that avisynth can't do , or can't do very easily (e.g. complex edits, compositing, some effects etc...) .
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 2nd May 2014 at 12:30.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Editing in MeGUI isn't the same as VirtualDub, but at the same time, it's a lot like it. You don't really need to understand Avisynth, but with a little knowledge you can start playing around with modifying scripts and manually adding different filters/plugins etc, but for straight editing and re-encoding.....
    You seem to know your way around an encoding program well enough to wrap your brain around using MeGUI without your head exploding

First you open a file with MeGUI (File/Open menu) and let it index it, then help you create the script (it's often a good idea to remux MP4s and AVIs as MKVs first, then open the MKVs for encoding as MeGUI can extract the audio from MKVs). There's nothing out of the ordinary there. Crop and resize etc with a preview. Subtitles are added for hardcoding under the Filters tab.

Name:	1.gif
Views:	2234
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	24904

You save the script and use the script cutter to open it and set start and end points for encoding, pretty much like you would with VirtualDub, but without banging your head against the desk because it's not navigating frame-accurately.
    It'll save a "cuts file" to load into the audio section so the audio will be re-encoded to match, or you can use the Audio Cutter under the tools menu if you don't want to re-encode.

Name:	2.gif
Views:	2077
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	24905

Use the Config button to configure the video encoder, then add the encoding job to the queue and run it.

Name:	3.gif
Views:	2046
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	24906

Once it's done you can append the output files with MKVMergeGUI or MP4Box etc.

I find MeGUI easier to use than VirtualDub even though it does encode via Avisynth, but maybe that's just because I've not used VirtualDub for much other than very basic editing or remuxing, so I don't know my way around it as well.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 2nd May 2014 at 14:48.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!