VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find DVD Shrink to be lightning fast anyway...
    But I was just wondering would it help me if I turned off video preview? Would it speed up ripping in anyway?

Thanks

OM
    Quote Quote  
  2. Simple enough to run a test:

Rip the same source with and without preview.

Time both.

Report results here in the spirit of VideoHELP!

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @conrapilot, i'll be happy to do
    though, i wouldn't want to rip the same dvd twice
    i don't understand why, but ripping dvds of roughly equal length take differing times
    sometimes done in about 22 min, other times takes 32 min (just making those numbers up)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it's the only way you will know for sure....

dvds of roughly equal length
    Are obviously NOT the same dvd so of course they would take different amounts of time, one may have more extra content, etc.

Movie only Vs. entire dvd will make a difference also.

And I assume you are referring to "transcoding" and not "ripping" ?
    But you were pretty vague so who knows.....

I also bet it would be a difference, if any, of seconds and not minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @noahtuck, dvdshrink - using to rip
    just loading up. getting rid of foreign audio and ripping

i'm thinking, doing a test won't give a conclusive answer
    dvdshrink i have found is awesome. it runs in the background on low process
    which means, if i want, i can still use my laptop to do other things

a machine that is fairly powerful + has loads of ram - there will be no difference
    a machine that is entry level, then, yes, turning video off, uses less resources and therefore makes it faster
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oy Vey.....
    Quote Quote  
  7. DVD Shrink shows the data rate when it's "backing up". It does tend to change as the backup progresses, but wouldn't it be a matter of checking/unchecking the preview option and noting it's effect, or lack of, on the displayed data rate?

No two DVDs will take the same amount of time to rip, not just because the video length is often different, but because the speed at which the drive can read the disc will vary from disc to disc. I've had ripping times vary between 10 minutes and an hour, the latter being for disc which are old/scratched/badly pressed/hard to read.

I have 3 DVD drives in this PC. Two are the same make/model, while one is a newer model. It'd not be unusual for me to rip 3 DVDs simultaneously using 3 instances of DVD Shrink. I generally open each and re-author, then start them all ripping together. They never, ever, ever finish at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. OM2 says: ". . . though, i wouldn't want to rip the same dvd twice"
    As was mentioned by noahtuck, that IS the only way you can answer this question.

Care to share with the Colonials on this board as to "why" you "wouldn't want to rip the same dvd twice" to find a definitive answer to your OP?
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by OM2 View Post
    I find DVD Shrink to be lightning fast anyway...
    But I was just wondering would it help me if I turned off video preview? Would it speed up ripping in anyway?

Thanks

OM
    I've never seen nor heard of any test results on that question, so suggest you do some experimenting and post the results here for the benefit of all. I expect you'll probably find that it doesn't make much difference. I've always left it OFF because I could discover no advantage to be gained by turning it ON. It's easy enough to turn ON/OFF so that has always seemed moot to me. I'm more curious about whether the original commented pre-assembly/compilation DVD Shrink code is available anywhere.

P.S. The professional thread killers are at work now, so you probably can't get an answer here...
    Last edited by JohnnyBob; 30th Apr 2014 at 01:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Oy Vey.....
    I was thinking more along the lines of OMFG STFU but we'll try the subtle approach first.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Oy Vey.....
    I was thinking more along the lines of OMFG STFU but we'll try the subtle approach first.
    LMAO!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Since the OP seems to have resorted to a "hunker in the bunker," here's my result, being willing to rip the same dvd twice (what do we Colonials know?): NO TIME DIFFERENCE on a WinXP 2.7 mhz Celeron machine with 512mb ram; i.e., an oldie slow'un.

In the spirit of VideoHELP . . . .

(Your mileage may vary . . . . )
    Quote Quote  
  13. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post
    Since the OP seems to have resorted to a "hunker in the bunker," here's my result, being willing to rip the same dvd twice (what do we Colonials know?): NO TIME DIFFERENCE on a WinXP 2.7 mhz Celeron machine with 512mb ram; i.e., an oldie slow'un.

In the spirit of VideoHELP . . . .

(Your mileage may vary . . . . )
    That's what I expected. No significant difference. The preview video being displayed is only small short occasional clips which takes negligible time to process.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    That's what I expected. No significant difference. The preview video being displayed is only small short occasional clips which takes negligible time to process.
    Agreed. It's only a partial preview and a thumbnail at that. Margin should be so small, time to generate should be negligible.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The preview video being displayed is only small short occasional clips which takes negligible time to process.
    Agreed. It's only a partial preview and a thumbnail at that. Margin should be so small, time to generate should be negligible.
    To my non-calibrated eyeballs, using the preview mode seems a lot more continuous than "short occasional clips." and at the framerate shown; i.e., if the rip is at 36 fps, the video seems about that much faster than the norm. As I said, though, "non-calibrated eyeballs."
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!