VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I edit videos from time to time in vdub, ive probably done about 100 or so of them. 95% of the time the aspect ratio is in the second window of vdub is the aspect ratio of the final video.

But that 5% of the time something goes wrong. I will crop the video, so it might be 720p res, but make it 400 width. Everything looks fine in vdub, but on save its like it took the 400 crop, but auto resizes it to 720p width (1280px width)....

Adding a resize filter has absolutly no effect, it goes right back to 1280 width.

Very frustrating. One thing I noticed is that in MPC under "video Frame" there is an option for "keep aspect ratio", when I uncheck this, it goes to the right aspect ratio.

So my question is, how do I fix this without unchecking that box (and messing up other videos).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Divorce the idea of stored video size being equated with displayed size. The display size may "autocorrect" (though you can, and probably should, turn this off), but no standard filter that I know of would auto-resize.

Why don't you clarify your vdub steps, in order and in detail, so we can all be on the same page.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by SignedupGuest View Post
    One thing I noticed is that in MPC under "video Frame" there is an option for "keep aspect ratio", when I uncheck this, it goes to the right aspect ratio.
    Set the aspect ratio in the codec you're using to compress the video in VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  4. jagabo: I cannot do this. I use loseless codecs most of the time which do not ask me for the resolution.

I don't know what vdubs problem is.... but for now since 97% of the time I re-encode them in meGUI, ive been using avs 'crop' function. And even if I need xvid or something, I could always load up the avs in vdub and encode in xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SignedupGuest View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Set the aspect ratio in the codec you're using to compress the video in VirtualDub.
    jagabo: I cannot do this. I use loseless codecs most of the time which do not ask me for the resolution.
    Then override the source aspect ratio, or set the output aspect ratio in MeGUI.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It is either detailed settings of encoder or a resize filter you are using will make you able to set proper aspect ratio. I hope, they will allow you set custom aspect ratio rather than just pre-defined ones.
    Last edited by enim; 3rd May 2014 at 01:41. Reason: addition
    Quote Quote  
  7. http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/MeGUI/Aspect_Ratio_Signalling_in_AviSynth_Scripts

By the way, the AVI container doesn't really support aspect ratios (technically, the ODML extensions do but few programs write or read that AR info). Some codecs maintain their own aspect ratio information internally, for example, DV and Xvid. So if the codec you're using doesn't signal the aspect ratio you have to override the AR in your downstream processing.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd May 2014 at 08:07.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!