VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I have a netbook with Z520 1.33GHz cpu and 2GB RAM that, surprizingly, can play excellently a 1080 50p (bitrate ~28Mbps) movie with windows media player 12. I have also another netbook with a stronger cpu (N450 1.66GHz) and 1Gb RAM, but I can't make it play smoothly that movie. Do you guys know how to identify which decoding filter wmp uses when playing a movie file?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's more likely the GPU (The video processor chip) that's helping with playback. WMP is not known for performance. I would try some different players such as MPC-HC player.
    Last edited by redwudz; 25th Apr 2014 at 12:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by video-phile View Post
    Do you guys know how to identify which decoding filter wmp uses when playing a movie file?
    DirectShow Filter Graph Spy:

http://alax.info/blog/777

Regarding the decoding speed: currently LAV Video is (nearly?) as fast as the abandonware CoreAVC.
    And if you're not afraid of the command-line environment, Mplayer will be even faster.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 25th Apr 2014 at 12:15. Reason: ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    ... And if you're not afraid of the command-line environment, Mplayer will be even faster.
    I'd also recommend mplayer for slow hardware but not the CLI version for most ... SMplayer is a GUI front end for mplayer and it's my default for video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Divx's h.264 decoder was reputed to be the fastest h.264 decoder. But I don't think that's going to help you. The main difference is probably the GPU's DXVA h.264 decoder. Because sub 2 GHz, single core CPUs can't decode 1080p50 h.264 in realtime.
    Quote Quote