VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search PM
    Sorry to be a downer and burst your bubble, but while you and Panasonic may call that deck a Professional deck, it is in reality much more of a prosumer deck. I was referring more to their full professional/broadcast line, such as a Panasonic AJ-SD255 Recording and Editing Deck. By the very existence that your deck allows recording in LP mode convinces me it is just a prosumer deck. As such, it still might make sense to go to a transfer service.

Regardless, I honestly believe it has something to do with the deck's "pre-disposition", possibly because of the default recording setting it is set to or possibly because of remnants of some earlier recording on the tape that was 12/32. Some decks, such as yours, will "lock on" to the first thing it finds, whether that is the correct setting for the bulk of the program or not. Some decks (and I cannot remember whether the one I sited is or is not that type) have menu settings or DIP switches that lock it to one of those choices only. This could hurt or help you (hopefully help for your situation).

Premiere Pro expects Type2 files and IIRC, the later versions do allow Type1 but then transform them into Type2. That's what it sounds like it is doing. PLUS, it sounds like it is doing that "padding to even byte length" thing previously discussed. That, in an of itself, is not the problem (though that could be considered wasteful). I believe the problem comes from interpolation.

Regarding going through RCA cables or not, yes, that is what I suggested earlier. If it won't allow that, or if regardless of going through the RCA cables the sound is "tinny" (which to me sounded like what you said in post #16), this won't help.

I would like you to try using Scenalyzer Live to capture the DV material. It has the ability to both specify length of capture (and whether or not to break for discontinuities), specify the DV-AVI Type (1 or 2), and MOST IMPORTANTLY HERE, the ability to specify how to capture the audio (Auto based on tape, forced 16/32, forced 16/44 or forced 16/48). This could allow you to bypass the problem (or make a worse problem), but it's worth a try...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well I bought the deck from a studio which does Professional transferring as a business... so I figured it would be good enough to transfer my home videos.

I do not think the error is with the deck, because it is correct in saying that my footage is 12/32. My minidv tapes were recorded at default setting on the camera, which was 12bit. Also, the transfer is keeping the audio "tinny" as it is on my original tapes. Somehow my stand alone (Sony VDR-mc6) is fixing the audio somehow and making it better. I cant believe that this Sony VDR device can fix it, but there is not one program/software that can do the same?

I'll try to download the Scenalyzer Live program. Which DV type should I choose?

If this doesn't work... my only solution is to use Firewire for the video, and then take the DVD recorded in my SONY VDR, dump the folder from the DVD into an editing program and line up the audio.... separate the audio from video and attach it to the firewire video version.
    Last edited by borntalent; 30th Apr 2014 at 09:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Which dv type to use depends on what apps will be using it later on in the chain. Since you have already mentioned PPro, I think type 2 is a safe bet.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard the assumption that EVERY "Pro" knows fully what to do, and that technical and quality considerations are the only/main things driving their equipment purchases.
    In this instance, it could well be that budget or ego were influential, plus they might only have encountered "tame" tapes, so never had a need for something more robust/tweakable to handle unruly (usually consumer) situations. Whatever. You have what you have.

Given that, your course of action sounds good.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. So I downloaded the Scenalyzer Live ... I don't see any options to change my input settings.
    I do see I am capturing "NTSC 32khz 12bit" and it flickers to "NTSC 32khz 12bit- ERR1" every other second.
    The 2min that I captured, it still has that "tinny" sound.

Maybe there is a setting I can change on that program?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    [File | Options | Capture Settings Tab | Audio capture settings branch | Audio-mode for all .avi files written] : Change from "Automatic (same as on Tape)" to "32kHz 16bit", "44.1kHz 16bit" or "48kHz 16bit".

IIWY, I'd try all 4 to see if there is any difference.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 3rd May 2014 at 18:35.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey.. I tried all 4 settings and all 4 pretty much sounded the same with the "tinny sound". So strange that the Sony VDR somehow eliminated the tin sound. I guess my only option left is to take my DVD's from the VDR and rip the audio out and match it up with my firewire video.
    Thanks for all of your help.. I appreciate it!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. SOLVED.. years later (sort of).

It was sort of the "deck". Certain tapes audio plays back best when using the original camera, or one of similar model. I found someone selling a camcorder similar to the ones I recorded these on, and IT WORKED!!! Played with perfect audio through the firewire.

In case anyone also comes across a similar error with Digital 8 tapes... through trial and error.. some of the old Digital 8 tapes recorded in models such as the SONY Digital 8 DCR-TR series models... these tapes will only play on the EXACT model you recorded on. I bought 3 different models and tested them all with tapes recorded on each other. They only play on the model recorded on. Just an FYI in case someone searches and comes upon this issue.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The only similar thing I have experienced is when someone recorded a show in SLP (super long play) mode on VHS.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!