VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I usually have good luck splitting multi-episodes but I seem to be having issue with one for the first time.
    I have a dual-episode MKV that wont split properly. Total time is 00:21:56 (mediainfo reads 00:21:57)
    The first segment ends at 00:11:11 and when trying to use this number in mkvtoolnix, it outputs clip at 00:11:17
    Now if I try going to lower "seconds" I either stay the same result or end up at 00:11:06 as the output clip.
    I have even tried adjusting milliseconds 00:11:11.000000000 but still not getting the clip to end at the right time.

Should I be trying another piece of software ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The short explanation is mkvmerge isn't frame accurate for cuts. You can only cut on GOP (group of pictures) boundaries.

You need a smart rendering editor to be frame accurate. It will re-encode the few frames of the GOP within the cutsite.

The only free one is mkvcutter by selur.
    http://forum.selur.de/topic220-mkv-cutter-tool-to-cut-h264-mkv-files-frame-accurate.html

Retail ones include videoredo, solveigmm video splitter, tmpgenc smart renderer
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help Will see what I can do.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried mkvcutter but still getting same result of 00:11:17
    Episode ends at frame 16088 so tried that but result was same as usual and so I tried 16085 down to 16080 but still wants to end 6 seconds too late.
    Suggested key frame is 15975 so tried that and it ended the clip 5 seconds too short.

Guess episode will have to stay as is ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. tsMuxer used to have a cutter in it. Not sure how good it is. Not used it since before it started being updated again.
    You might try that and remux back to MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tsMuxer did a better job for the first clip. Starting and ending spot on. Unfortunately I cant get the second clip to start at the right place.
    I went back to mkvtoolnix but no luck there for the second part. It's plus or minus 5 seconds no matter what.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You have to use a video editor that will re-encode the seconds where you want to edit and leave the rest of the video untouched.There are members here who will recommend a program that can do this.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Before you go the whole hog with a video editor you could also try SolveigMM AVI Trimmer + MKV (not frame accurate) and

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/354976-How-to-cut-any-video-with-the-free-Video-to-...ideo-Converter

again, not frame accurate but you never know your luck
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!