VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1920 x 1080 uses more diskspace. Thats the only difference i know.
    I would like to film in the best quality and put it on vimeo or youtube.

Now i am wondering :
    Is there a real difference in quality when you want to create videos which will be placed on youtube? Is it visible?

Thanks
    Last edited by Baldrick; 24th Apr 2014 at 02:37. Reason: Link removed. We don't need an example....spam...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No 1920x1080 on that video. Are you spamming us?
    Courage is being scared to death --- and saddling up anyway. 'John Wayne'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First time posters linking youtube do it for hits so they spam forums.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Spam in a can
    Status - Attacked by mold spores. - Pour out a lil liquor for all the homies lost in the format wars. Sanlyn will live again, a Sanlyn v2.0 if you will
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by taxidriver View Post
    1920 x 1080 vs 640 x 480... Is there a real difference in quality
    Yes. Are you blind?
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Apr 2014 at 21:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. 144p in the hizzzouseeee. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Status - Attacked by mold spores. - Pour out a lil liquor for all the homies lost in the format wars. Sanlyn will live again, a Sanlyn v2.0 if you will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So the below examples may help...

Recently, while I was spec'ing out cams to decide the resolution requirements for a job I planned, I wanted to be clear about what was the level of acceptability for whatever resolution I chose. Unfortunately, most comparative examples of resolution demonstrate the size differential (see below):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	LandscapeDemo-LayeredCombo-2160to480scale.png
Views:	20
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	24737
    (note: this was scaled down to fit the usual browser window size, as a 4k width would be unwieldy)

While this is helpful for certain things, it DOESN'T explain the comparison between resolutions in terms of equivalent full-screen DETAIL, which is what I was needing, and what I believe many consumers mistakenly ignore until it is explained to them. So here goes:

#1 SD CIF or 352x240
    Name:  LandscapeCompare-SD240.png
Views: 202
Size:  759.8 KB

#2 SD D1 or 720x480
    Name:  LandscapeCompare-SD480.png
Views: 204
Size:  831.0 KB

#3 HD 1280x720
    Name:  LandscapeCompare-HD720.png
Views: 201
Size:  878.2 KB

#4 HD 1920x1080
    Name:  LandscapeCompare-HD1080.png
Views: 210
Size:  930.5 KB

#5 2k 2048x1080
    Name:  LandscapeCompare-2k.png
Views: 198
Size:  910.6 KB

#6 4k 4096x2160
    Name:  LandscapeCompare-4k.png
Views: 195
Size:  975.0 KB

All images are taken from a master 6k/8k still and sized down then blown up to equivalent frame sizes, using the same downrez algorithm and the same uprez algorithm. What you are seeing is a (~200%?) blown up section from the center of the 4k screen - just to the right of the 1080 overlay.

I think this should make it clear to the OP what the difference between 1920x1080 and 640x480 (or its nearest equivalent here: 720x480) is - Quite a LOT!

Hopefully, it will help others in their understanding of resolution and in deciding which way to go WRT cameras, rendering, etc.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 24th Apr 2014 at 00:52.
    "When will the rhetorical questions end?!" - George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  8. I liked JaG's reply
    Yes. Are you blind?

and Cornucopia's patience & explanations, as usual.

So, in short,
    SiZE does matter!
    I neither prefer lemons (too sour), nor water-melons (too much work). I LuV apples (delicious).
    LOL!

================================================== ===========================
    Last edited by enim; 24th Apr 2014 at 01:08.
    Quote Quote  
  9. No is no spam. I just looked for an example of a video made with a canon 5d mkII. Thats the camera i wanna buy...I wanna work with an DSLR.
    I now have a nikon 90d. That filmquality is not bad but the 5d i much better.

The problem is that if you place videos of 16gb on vimeo (i wanna upload each week 3 videos off 20 minutes each) you have to have a pro account.
    So when i do a quick count :
    With 16gb flashcard you can make a movie of 49 minutes at 1920x1080
    With a 16gb flashcard you can make a movie of 1h39 at 640x480

As you will notice at 640x480 i can make much more films without getting to the 16gb/ week upload limit on vimeo.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But it won't look as good as 1920x1080 and that was stated in previous posts with examples.
    Courage is being scared to death --- and saddling up anyway. 'John Wayne'
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by taxidriver View Post
    No is no spam. I just looked for an example of a video made with a canon 5d mkII. Thats the camera i wanna buy...I wanna work with an DSLR.
    I now have a nikon 90d. That filmquality is not bad but the 5d i much better.

The problem is that if you place videos of 16gb on vimeo (i wanna upload each week 3 videos off 20 minutes each) you have to have a pro account.
    So when i do a quick count :
    With 16gb flashcard you can make a movie of 49 minutes at 1920x1080
    With a 16gb flashcard you can make a movie of 1h39 at 640x480

As you will notice at 640x480 i can make much more films without getting to the 16gb/ week upload limit on vimeo.

Thanks
    What's the point of owning a Ferrari if you're only gonna drive it in first gear?
    Quote Quote