VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but...

We have a DSL setup in our house, running through a modem/wireless router in the office, downstairs. The thing is, that modem/router's old, and I've been thinking about replacing it. If I do replace it, can I then take the old modem/router and hook it up in a bedroom upstairs, or will the two modem/routers confuse each other, clash or otherwise conflict?

I'm primarily wondering if I can use the old modem/router as a wired Ethernet connection to the net for the Blu-Ray player in my bedroom.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is probably a stupid answer

The additional modem must still communicate to your ISP. I assume it will have its own Network Name, password etc. as default. But if it shares the same names as your existing router ie connects to the same ISP service I really can not see a problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most likely your isp will only allow one to connect. they have individual mac numbers they can track so they can tell who is on their network.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    your question doesn't make a lot of sense, if the DSL modem has built in routing capabilities then there's no reason to use a second router to split the signal, you can simply use a hardwire connection or setup a wireless (with encryption) connection to share the bandwidth with all the devices in your home.

if the modem doesn't have built in routing functionality then you need a router to split the signal and you end up as above.

if you're asking if you can run both modems at the same time in the capacity of a modem, i.e so that they are both acting as gateways to the internet, then no, you are only paying for a single account, are entitled and allocated only a single IP address at a time and can only use one modem to connect at a time.

now if you were to sign up for a second account with your ISP then yes, you could use both modems in the capacity of a modem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can't have both MODEM's hooked up to a phone line. You may be able to use the old one in bridge mode; I've done that with a 2wire gateway (many ISP's used to supply them), but you'll have to run a CAT5 cable between to two. Or, you can get a TPlink router; AFAIK they all have wireless bridge functionality and you can get one for pretty cheap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspected the answer would be that it wouldn't be possible, but it also wouldn't hurt to ask. The old router is a 2Wire, though.

I know I can probably buy something like the $60 Netlink wireless signal extender I've been seeing for the purpose; it has its own set of ethernet ports, and the main reason we've been considering getting a new modem/router is because the current one's range is rather limited. But I thought I'd make sure, since the replacement modems are cheaper than the extenders.

deadrats: I'm not sure what you believe's not making sense. I have a Blu-Ray player upstairs, that'll only go online with a wired ethernet connection. The router's downstairs. Since I was considering getting a new modem/router, I was wondering if I could take the old one upstairs and give the player that wired connection. Probably not, but... eh.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure that you are aware, but you can use just about any router, wireless or otherwise, to extend the range of your original router/modem. All you need to do is turn off DNS for automatic addressing, and use new addresses that don't conflict with your old modem/router.

Feed the output of your first router into the second one, then output that to different PCs. I've set up to three routers on one system and they all work and play fine with each other. Wired or wireless, it should work. Feed the first router signal into a second router LAN connection, not the WAN and you can easily extend the system.

That's the cheap way to add more nodes. You can also use an extender, but usually more expensive. I also have about six Ethernet switches in my system. Switches are another way to keep signals from conflicting when several PC are wired in.

There are plenty of options. Just figure out what you want to do and someone here should be able to figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Short answer is no - you can't use two modems (yes - they will conflict) - DSL assume point to point connection - SLAM negotiate with modem optimal parameters (and optimal can be different for different devices) - PSTN line is used exclusively by modem and SLAM.

(if one line can be sufficient for more than 1 modem then all telephone companies will be very happy)

if you need connection upstairs without additional wires just use PLC (power line) modem - set of 2 (basic starter kit) should be around 30$
    http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=dp_brw_link?ie=UTF8&node=1194444
    Last edited by pandy; 24th Apr 2014 at 05:27.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The above posters are correct, most routers can be used as wireless access points. Or you can just buy a wireless access point for about $20.
    Quote Quote  
  10. But can the two talk using wireless? Redwudz and Ai seem to say that they need to be wired in order to be used as an extender.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    But can the two talk using wireless? Redwudz and Ai seem to say that they need to be wired in order to be used as an extender.
    If you search "use router as repeater", you'll get quite a few links on how to use a spare router as a repeater.

Here's one way that should work if you find your router in the database :

http://pcsupporthub.com/752/how-to-use-wireless-router-as-repeater/

Firmware database:

http://dd-wrt.com/site/
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Actually few of the newer faster routers can use the Open-WRT firmware (or DD-WRT or Tomato) which has wireless bridging capability built-in. Netgear has a range extender that is the same hardware as their WNR2000, they just added the wireless bridging and they charge an extra $20 for it; funny thing that router is DD-WRT compatible.

All the TPlink routers I've looked at have the capability out of the box and their cheapest can be had for less than $15.

It's true that most routers can be used in bridge mode over a wire, but you have to know how to set it up and not many can do it over Wi-Fi. Having the function in the firmware makes it trivial to setup.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can get a wireless access point for around $20? Huh. I'll have to remember to look into that.

Yeah, I'm mostly just looking at options, for the time being. As much as modifying the old router appeals to me (as someone who's been setting hardware up in unexpected configurations and jury-rigging for probably the last couple of decades), it seems like it'd probably be a bit of a waste going toward just a Blu-Ray player.

Actually, I do have one of those 'gaming antennas' from the Playstation 2 era... even used it to bring an old computer setup with Knoppix online for a while, some years ago. But I'm wary about using it with the Blu-Ray player... I'd used it with my first BD player, a Samsung set-top. It seemed to work okay, but the player bricked while executing a firmware update.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!