VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

So I´m a computer nerd among other things and love to experiment in c++ code..

I made this plugin:

Name:  TbT-Filmgrain.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  21.1 KB

It will add filmgrain to your video. The plugin is "active".. that is.. it will use luma/color levels among other things to blend the grain with the frame.

I did not intend to emulate 35mm grain or anything so you can see this as a semi digital take on this "holy grain" topic... simply put.. if you like it then use it.

Since I´m just trying out ideas at the moment and I found the OFX SDK that made experimenting soo much easier I havent made any attempts with installers ect so the zip file contain the whole OFX folder for the plugin that you manually have to unzip into your shared OFX folder on your window system.

In my case the shared plugin folder on my system is located at: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins" (this could of course be completely different depending on window version and language ect.. so if you do not find it then do a google search on the topic)

Also I´ve compiled the plugin on a win7 64bit system running Sony Vegas Movie studio 12 platinum 64bit version where it theoretically should work "as on my own system" if you got simular setup and the plugin will show up in the "third party" plugin menu.

I also compiled a 32bit version in the same folder so if you are runnig a 32bit system one can assume that the shared OFX plugin folder would be located in the "Program Files(x86)" folder instead....

And of course you use this plugin "as it is,at your own risk".. that is I can´t promise a hundred percent stable plugin but I havent had any crashes with it.

So... a little bit of work for you but IF you manage to get it up and running I am very much curious of what you think... does it come off as useful to you?.. let me know.

The parameters are quite simple:

Grain amount = the amount of grain in the frame
    Grain size = size of grain where 0.0= fine grain and 1.0 would be "super8-ish"
    Color noise = when off it will be black and white noise

EDIT: and yes it does consume a bit of CPU since there are lots of calculations on every pixel so don´t see this as a realtime plugin, rather like a final master render thingy.. and a tip is to experiment with color grading before and after the plugin since you would get different results since it is an active plugin.

http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/hosted/TbT-Filmgrain.ofx.bundle.zip

//Daniel
    Last edited by ddummer; 23rd Apr 2014 at 08:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds pretty good, but I don't have the nerve to be the first to try it. My VegasPro12 is dialed in perfectly right now. No issues. But I'll be glad to install it later. Hehehe.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ..it´s not rocket science.. Vegas is quite forgiving... if a plugin crash during startup and so on it will disable it and continue to run without it... and if you remove the folder from the OFX plugin folder it is gone.
    Quote Quote  
  4. For Movie Studio Platinum 13 users, (Win 7 64) the OFX plugin folder is located here: Program Files>>Sony>>Movie Studio Platinum 13.0>>OFX Video Plug-ins
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I installed it on my Vegas Pro 10 running Win7 x64 in "C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 10.0\OFX Plug-Ins\". It works as stated and adjusts by the sliders. I have no need for it and removed it.

P.S. Vegas Pro already has some decent Film / Grain effects filters.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the grain realistic? Does it jitter?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!