VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Netflix to hike monthly prices...

Netflix is preparing a sequel unlikely to be a hit with its subscribers. The internet video service is about to raise its prices for the first time in three years to help pay for more internet video programming such as its popular political drama House of Cards.

The increase, to take place sometime before July, will hike prices by $1 or $2 per month for new customers. The company's nearly 36 million current subscribers will continue to pay $8 per month for at least the next year, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said in a Monday interview.

Meanwhile, Netflix's DVD-by-mail service is slowly dying. Through March, Netflix had 6.7 million DVD customers, a 52 per cent drop from 13.9 million just two years ago. Netflix isn't changing its DVD prices, despite rising postal costs.

Seems like it started fumbling to survive...
    Quote Quote  
  2. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm a longtime DVD by mail subscriber since before Netflix. I have no interest in streaming. I believe the decline in DVD by mail Netflix customers is mostly due to a decline in quality of the Netflix website. It gives less and less information about movies you might be interested in. I must now consult IMDB to find out which movies to select, to see how many people voted for a rating, the actors in a movie, etc. Now all Netflix shows is a graphic of the DVD cover.

This decline started when they split the streaming and DVD databases so you must subscribe to see what the other has to offer. Previously you could see both, then pick and choose. That's very dumb advertisingwise. It wouldn't cost Netflix anything to provide all the same info on their website to all of their customers. Then they recently stuck the old Qwickster tile logo on the DVD website, which is like a slap in the face to those who remember the 2011 debacle. I hate it and all tiles!

I suspect there is a significant future market for DVDs/Blurays by mail, but a new different company may have to arise to provide it. Netflix doesn't indicate much interest anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fascism at its worst
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
  4. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yeh... yuk...
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just my opinion: I think it's raising prices to cover the R&D of it's 4k service also. Something I will probably not invest in for another 5 to 10 years.
    Quote Quote  
  6. New subscribers do not get the option of renting DVD's anymore.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    New subscribers do not get the option of renting DVD's anymore.
    That's news to me... Reference?
    Quote Quote  
  8. The reference is their web page. There is absolutely no mention of any kind of rental, only streaming.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    DVDs by mail is still offered to new Netflix members in the US. I don't know about Canada etc.

They don't make it very easy to find on their website, but it's still there...

https://dvd.netflix.com/
    or
    https://www.netflix.com/HowItWorks?locale=en-US (click the last link at bottom of list under "Other")
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You really have to bounce around on their website to find the "Dvd only sign up" https://dvd.netflix.com/

Here is the page from the "Help Center" https://help.netflix.com/en/node/467?catId=en%2F131

No one is going to go digging for this info. Most people are just going to assume that it's now streaming only.

edit JohnnyBob beat me to it
    Quote Quote  
  11. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Actually I couldn't find it on my own, so I opened a chat session with Netflix, which started immediately provided I logged out and told them I wasn't a member. A small fib...

Their chat rep had a hard time finding a link to the DVDs by mail plan! But working together we came up with the links mentioned above after about 10-15 minutes.

I'm not sure those links can be used to actually sign up for a DVDs by mail subscription, because after getting further along it drops all mention of DVDs, and only talks about streaming. So it might be necessary to call them on the phone to setup a DVDs by mail plan now(?).

That's the answer to why their DVD membership is declining. They're doing it intentionally, obviously.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The reason i believe dvd rentals are declining in netflix is due to people watching more tv and streaming,in the town i live in the main video store which had run for 20 years shut down due to lack of business so there's no video store left here for any rentals and no one here seems to mind.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The reason i believe dvd rentals are declining in netflix is due to people watching more tv and streaming,in the town i live in the main video store which had run for 20 years shut down due to lack of business so there's no video store left here for any rentals and no one here seems to mind.
    Yep, not a buck for a small operators. Big operators like BlockBuster and Rogers are already out from this SH*TY BuSSiNeSS.
    Renters are out, and now mailers are getting out...

Now a days, I hardly encode, just get some old movie ORIGINAL dvd/bd from a Dollar Chain Stores, Watch-n-Toss.
    Last edited by enim; 24th Apr 2014 at 01:45.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix said a couple of years ago that they wanted to tie their future to streaming. I assumed the reverse of that is that they want to get away from mail delivery.

I have both Netflix and Amazon streaming. Amazon is a better deal for some videos, IMO. If you have a fast connection, streaming is feasible, sometimes with a fair bit of quality.

But it will never replace HD BD video. That would require a tremendous amount of bandwidth.

I don't watch terrestrial TV, partially because cable at my location sucks. OTA local TV is mundane. I don't watch network TV either.

Yes, I'm particular, but I don't think the majority of our connections are quite up to streaming HQ video. Unfortunately Netflix seems to think streaming is the only way to future prosperity.

But I think physical media is still in our near future.

Enough?
    Quote Quote  
  15. have both Netflix and Amazon streaming. Amazon is a better deal for some videos, IMO. If you have a fast connection, streaming is feasible, sometimes with a fair bit of quality.

But it will never replace HD BD video. That would require a tremendous amount of bandwidth.

I don't watch terrestrial TV, partially because cable at my location sucks. OTA local TV is mundane. I don't watch network TV either.
    in fact, I have tried both but I did not like the quality of any by paying the price. Now a days I get 2 dvds for a $1 or 2 bds for $3 (sometimes) from a Dollar Chains with A+++ quality & ORIGINAL never used/never been watched sealed pack. I prefer that ones.

Yes, I'm particular, but I don't think the majority of our connections are quite up to streaming HQ video. Unfortunately Netflix seems to think streaming is the only way to future prosperity.
    Paying for a crappy quality is nothing but a stupidity. Many p2p GuRuS started dominating in the area called QUALITY.
    These p2p GuRuS are way better than major streaming services in terms of QUALITY.

But I think physical media is still in our near future.
    It is very hard to beat the BD HD quality from Branded Original Manufacturer like WARNERS, DISNEY and other major brands at this moment. But, some BDs even from Original Manufacturers are poorly encoded we can tell it's a transfer from low-end.
    Those who like crispy and crystal clear collections, always prefer physical BD media from Original Manufacturers.
    Last edited by enim; 24th Apr 2014 at 01:27.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I am not surprised by this and, frankly, was expecting it. Why? Among other things the death of Net Neutrality. With Netflix having to cough up money to Comcast and other providers in order to give their subscribers a better streaming experience this is going to cut into their profit margin. With 4k this will become an even bigger issue. Now that Net Neutrality is truly dying and the FCC isn't stopping it we are going to see Netflix having to sign deals with even more providers. That'll mean even more money leaving Netflix's coffers on top of their deals with studios and whatnot to have access to movie libraries. The money needs to come from somewhere. So, it'll be the customers. At the end of the day people shouldn't be annoyed at Netflix on this one. Blame the likes of Comcast. Things are only going to get worse
    Quote Quote  
  17. Among other things the death of Net Neutrality. With Netflix having to cough up money to Comcast and other providers in order to give their subscribers a better streaming experience this is going to cut into their profit margin. With 4k this will become an even bigger issue. Now that Net Neutrality is truly dying and the FCC isn't stopping it we are going to see Netflix having to sign deals with even more providers. That'll mean even more money leaving Netflix's coffers on top of their deals with studios and whatnot to have access to movie libraries. The money needs to come from somewhere.
    -AGREED. The points are noted and high-lighted as well!

================================================== ==========================
    Now a days, I hardly encode, just get some old movie ORIGINAL dvd/bd from a Dollar Chain Stores, Watch-n-Toss.
    Last edited by enim; 24th Apr 2014 at 01:54.
    Quote Quote  
  18. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    ...Now a days, I hardly encode, just get some old movie ORIGINAL dvd/bd from a Dollar Chain Stores, Watch-n-Toss.
    Which dollar stores? Local or online? I haven't bought any $1 DVDs for 5-10 years and quit because the quality was always super terrible.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Which dollar stores? Local or online? I haven't bought any $1 DVDs for 5-10 years and quit because the quality was always super terrible.
    If I drive & hit nearest metro-city from the town where I live in up north, there is a big DOLLARAMA & BUCK OR TWO. Both have lots. May be they got from the businesses closing out or overstocked piles at Original Manufacturers. Mostly OLD movies. If you spare 10~15 min, you will get two or three very good ones.

I still remember during my last visit to NewYork, someone mentioned about a gigantic only DVD/BD wholesale store some where out-skirt of NewYork. There, you can also get a original DVDs for $1. Due to short of time I could not visit.
    Last edited by enim; 24th Apr 2014 at 05:50.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Just mentioned about p2p GuRus...
    and here comes The Monster.......
    Pirate Bay Hits Historic 10 Million Torrent Milestone

The Pirate Bay hit a new milestone today when the site processed its 10 millionth torrent upload. The landmark came as a surprise, and caused some trouble behind the scenes, where some of the code had to be changed to accommodate the extra digit.

Last summer The Pirate Bay celebrated its tenth anniversary, and today the site reached another noteworthy milestone.

How can Netflix & Amazon survive?

O' LA PEG LA
    Last edited by enim; 24th Apr 2014 at 05:51.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    I am not surprised by this and, frankly, was expecting it. Why? Among other things the death of Net Neutrality. With Netflix having to cough up money to Comcast and other providers in order to give their subscribers a better streaming experience this is going to cut into their profit margin.
    Exactly. And the FCC is about to sell us out and cast it in stone:
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/04/net-neutrality-dead-for-good-fcc-may-endors...or-play-deals/
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Apr 2014 at 08:14.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I went ahead and signed up with Netflix April 29th. (one month free trial) And then May 9th I received an email confirming that as a new member, that the price is going up by $1.

The email also said that if I continue as a member, that they guarantee that my plan and price will not change for two years.

I can live with a price of $8.99/$9. I'm doing streaming only. I'm actually surprised that they aren't raising the price of a dvd plan by a $1.
    Quote Quote  
  23. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Mr.Delusional View Post
    ...I'm actually surprised that they aren't raising the price of a dvd plan by a $1.
    How do you know they're not?
    Quote Quote  
  24. I got an email couple of days ago from Netflix:
    "As a thank you for being a member of Netflix already, we guarantee that your plan and price will not change for two years"
    Quote Quote  
  25. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    How do you know they're not?
    I'm just going by what the original posted article stated. "Netflix isn't changing its DVD prices, despite rising postal costs."
    Quote Quote  
  26. Some dvds I got from them were on streaming in a new weeks. So I just stream now. Use my library for new dvds. Also use Amazon streaming for $3.99 for new ones.
    Quote Quote  
  27. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    I got an email couple of days ago from Netflix:
    "As a thank you for being a member of Netflix already, we guarantee that your plan and price will not change for two years"
    So do you subscribe to DVDs? I've been a Netflix DVD subscriber for several years and received no such email.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't doubt that they're trying to get ahead of the anticipated surcharges that Verizon, Comcast and others are going to try to levy on other content providers, now that the FCC will not support net neutrality.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    I got an email couple of days ago from Netflix:
    So do you subscribe to DVDs? I've been a Netflix DVD subscriber for several years and received no such email.
    I used to, I unsubscribed BD's about two years back or so. I cannot remember when I exactly subscribed with Netflix for streaming, I'm with them perhaps 3-4 years already.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!