VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. According to recent news, UK customers can breath at ease coz Kate likes watching movies and Netflix likes Kate.
    And, Katy in US has no time to watch Netflix except to Roar. So Netflix US customers are helpless.
    Last edited by enim; 14th May 2014 at 17:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I enjoy having 8 Blu-rays delivered for $10.73 a month.
    That's $1.34 a rental.
    I do, however, have to walk 50 feet to the mailbox.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    I do, however, have to walk 50 feet to the mailbox.
    Deal breaker.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well I received my first bill and was only charged $7.99! I'm not going to complain whatsoever. I just don't understand why they even mentioned (in my previously received email) that they were raising their prices by a $1 for new members. I took that as, me included. I have no clue what their cutoff/new price date was or currently is.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't have Netflix but have some relatives that have. If the Company could expand their catalog to get more shows from the U.K. and Australia that would really draw me in. I think is reasonable to put the price up a bit if they can expand on their offerings. I know there is a competitor called Acorn TV. I think there are more competitors all the time, but who has the funds to have half a dozen streaming services?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly I have no issue with the $1 more a month but instead of sub par original programming they should use the extra cash for providing better selections on their streaming service.

There is only so many time I can watch Top Gear....wait no i can always watch that.

-Kes
    Quote Quote  
  7. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't care either about + or - $1 / month. What I care about is getting the DVDs I order on a timely basis! They've been slowing down lately and apparently don't work on Saturday anymore. Also almost everything in my queue is "Very Long Wait". It reminds me of Blockbuster a year or two before they folded...
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    I don't care either about + or - $1 / month. What I care about is getting the DVDs I order on a timely basis! They've been slowing down lately and apparently don't work on Saturday anymore. Also almost everything in my queue is "Very Long Wait". It reminds me of Blockbuster a year or two before they folded...
    I'm very glad to say that I don't share your problem . . . but then I'm located only an hour's drive or so from one of their distribution centers, which I expect must be very atypical among NF subscribers.

As I've noted before, streaming is pretty much a dead issue here. Aggravatingly unacceptable performance, with continual stops and buffering. That's with supposedly fast cable broadband, and a top-notch dual-radio Linksys router. If I string a 50' ethernet cable to the nearest tv, performance becomes acceptable, though not great. (And of course the PQ is well below Blu-Ray quality: it may not even compare with your better DVDs.) Other people I know nearby have cancelled different streaming services for much the same reason. If you happen to be the beneficiary of a sweetheart deal like the one NF is establishing with Comcast for improved streaming, then perhaps you will be as lucky as I have been with the discs by mail. (These streaming issues are a critical infrastructure deficiency, and likely won't be going away, higher subscription fees or not.)

I've been a Neftlix subscriber since their earlier days. The bottom line: whenever the discs by mail go away, that's when I'll be gone as a customer.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    I'm very glad to say that I don't share your problem . . . but then I'm located only an hour's drive or so from one of their distribution centers, which I expect must be very atypical among NF subscribers.

As I've noted before, streaming is pretty much a dead issue here. Aggravatingly unacceptable performance, with continual stops and buffering. That's with supposedly fast cable broadband, and a top-notch dual-radio Linksys router. If I string a 50' ethernet cable to the nearest tv, performance becomes acceptable, though not great. (And of course the PQ is well below Blu-Ray quality: it may not even compare with your better DVDs.) Other people I know nearby have cancelled different streaming services for much the same reason. If you happen to be the beneficiary of a sweetheart deal like the one NF is establishing with Comcast for improved streaming, then perhaps you will be as lucky as I have been with the discs by mail. (These streaming issues are a critical infrastructure deficiency, and likely won't be going away, higher subscription fees or not.)

I've been a Neftlix subscriber since their earlier days. The bottom line: whenever the discs by mail go away, that's when I'll be gone as a customer.
    Guess I have to agree on that one, every little buffering or quality problem while watching a payed streamed movie makes me a little aggressive and I am normally a very relaxed guy. And unfortunately it never works as perfect as it should. Plus I don't like to be dependent on my internet connection that can be bitchy as well

On the other hand I like the concept of streamed movies and series...I will try and observe if this is getting better but at the moment I am far from bein happy with it.

If they could stabilise their streams I would be okay with paying 1 or 2 more bugs
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DonaldDuck View Post
    Guess I have to agree on that one, every little buffering or quality problem while watching a payed streamed movie makes me a little aggressive and I am normally a very relaxed guy. And unfortunately it never works as perfect as it should.
    Aside from a few seconds before starting a video, or when fast forwarding or rewinding, I haven't had any buffering in years. People having buffering problems need to blame their ISP. ISPs are intentionally dropping/delaying Netflix packets to degrade service. Most ISPs are also the cable TV provider and need to make sure you don't cancel your cable TV service, their bread and butter. And in most areas they have a municipally granted monopoly so they don't have to worry about you switching ISPs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DonaldDuck View Post
    If they could stabilise their streams I would be okay with paying 1 or 2 more bugs
    "Bugs"? Really?

It's "bucks" not "bugs". You misspelled "stabilize" too.

Anyway, don't forget the part that nobody talks about where you can't get every movie you want via streaming or at least not without paying extra for it. Amazon streams almost everything but you have to pay extra for most stuff. Netflix's streaming offerings are in my opinion unbelievably poor and I remain amazed by the large number of people who are very happy with it. I guess my tastes are different from theirs. Do you remember Taken? Big hit movie from about 6 years ago. How about The Hangover - remember when that came out? Try to stream either from Netflix. Let me know if they EVER have either one available.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    don't forget the part that nobody talks about where you can't get every movie you want via streaming
    Because that's too obvious. It's also true of broadcast TV, cable TV, satellite TV, and even DVD/Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like Netflix combined with Amazon for documentaries and TV shows. I've been pretty happy with both and very rarely have any buffering problems with Charter (my internet provider); same with VUDU.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  14. Don't forget the OTHER part nobody talks about. Newbies can't even get DVD's delivered anymore. There is absolutely no mention of renting DVD's or BD's on the Netflix home page. Just a couple of words that imply streaming to your TV or xbox. That home page is probably one of the worst designed websites I have ever seen.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New Netflix customers can still sign up for DVD rentals if they go to dvd.netflix.com

I don't understand why Netflix is trying to hide the DVD rentals. There are still millions of people who are Netflix DVD customers and I am sure many more people would sign up for the DVD rental service, especially now that there are no more Blockbuster stores or smaller rental chains.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think they want to move to streaming that can't be recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Netflix probably loses money on DVDs so they don't want any more DVD subscriptions. But they have to keep it around to keep their old customers happy.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!