VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi, question does anyone happen to know a software or how you can Crop video / keep quality.. please i need to know.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Crop??? Assuming you mean cutting out the edges of the screen, if you put it into an MKV you can set cropping in the header without re-encoding. Of course some players will simply ignore it. I'm not sure if it's possible but you might find a way to alter the stream to increase the stream cropping, all codecs are encoded with dimensions as multiples of 16 (MOD 16), stream cropping is used if the actual dimensions don't fit that, it depends on what codec you have. Other than that I don't think 'keeping quality' is an option, and all software is pretty much the same in that regard, you'll have to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I see btw im using k lite codec pack / media player classic latest version so how do i crop in mkv like you mentiond please tell me is there option for that while streaming i only know that media player classic has zoom option / pan..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You'll need MKVToolNix, if it's not already in an MKV you'll need to mux it into one using the MKVMerge GUI (mmg). Once it's in an MKV, in mmg's file menu, there's a header editor option. Load your file there, find the video stream, and look for the video crop top/bottom/left and right elements. Enter your croppings and save. VLC should honour them, I don't use MPC but it should too, a lot of players will just ignore it though.

Edit: actually, if you need to remux it first, you might as well add the croppings in the muxing stage. When you load the file, click on the video stream, click the 'format specific options' tab and enter your croppings in the copping box as {left}, {top}, {right}, {bottom}.

Edit2: if your video is h264/AVC/MPEG4 Part 10 H264info will set stream cropping (I haven't tested it and I'm not sure if it can crop above 14 and I'm pretty sure top and left croppings will screw up some codecs).
    Last edited by ndjamena; 22nd Apr 2014 at 20:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Alright thank you i will see what i can do with mkvtoolnix / mkvmerge GUI
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!