VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

Let me say first that my video editing knowledge is very limited. I come here looking for help from the experts in solving my problems with video and audio not being sync'd.

The problem I have is the Audio is timed much later than the video, in other words, I see the lips move and then I here the voice.

Here are the specifics:
    1) I recorded a movie from TV to my DVR.
    2) I captured the recorded movie from my DVR to my PC using an EZcap116 and Ulead VideoStudio v10.
    (I've converted about 130 VHS tapes using this setup)
    3) I used Ulead VideoStudio to edit the movie and save it out as an MPG file.
    NOTE: The audio and video is properly sync'd in the MPG file
    4) I use AVStoDVD to create DVD folders.
    5) I use IMGburn to burn a DVD.

When I add the mpg file to AVStoDVD, the audio shows a delay of (-96 ms) but there is a 0 ms delay in the resulting Files from AVStoDVD.

The resulting DVD that I burned seems to be OK for about one third of the video, then the audio gradually gets out of sync.

I should also note that When I captured the DVR recording with Ulead VideoStudio and EZcap116, there were ZERO Frames dropped.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide to me.

Regards,
    Ed

Here is the AVStoDVD logfile for the movie in question.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    <4/20/2014 6:19:08 PM>
    START PROCESS
    <>

PROJECT SETTINGS

DVD Video Standard: NTSC
    DVD Titles number: 1
    DVD Size: 4106/4450 MB (92%)
    DVD Output Setup: DVD Folder
    DVD Label: The Forgotten
    DVD Menu: Static Menu
    Output Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD
    Delete Temp Assets Files: Yes
    Delete Temp Working Files: Yes
    Edit Command Parameters: No
    Post Process Task: Show Progress Status window

PREFERENCES

MultiThread: 1
    AVS Video Source Filter: A2DSource
    AVS Audio Source Filter: A2DSource
    AVS UpSize/DownSize Filter: Lanczos4Resize/Spline16Resize
    Frame Adjust Strategy: 1
    PAL SpeedUp: 0
    Video Resolution: 0
    Video BitRate Min: 2500
    Video BitRate Level 1: 6500
    Video Profile Level 2: 4500
    Video BitRate Max: 8500
    Keep DVD Compliant Video: 1
    AC3 Audio Encoder: 0
    Force FFmpeg for Long Audio: 0
    DVD Audio Format: 0
    DVD Audio BitRate: 192
    Keep DVD Compliant Audio: 1
    Normalize Audio: 0
    Auto Delay Audio: 1
    DVD Audio Language (Primary): EN - English
    DVD Audio Language (Secondary): EN - English
    DVD Subs Language (Primary): EN - English
    DVD Subs Language (Secondary): EN - English
    DVD Subs Font: Tahoma 16pt (255,255,255)
    Chapters Interval: 5
    Use Source Chapters: 1
    DVD Burning Drive: D: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D DE04
    DVD Burning Speed: 4x
    Auto Erase DVD RW: 1
    Unload ActiveMovie library: 0
    Adjust ffdshow at runtime: 1
    Save General Settings: 0
    <>

TITLE 1 SOURCE FILES
    Video: C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\Ulead VideoStudio SE\10.0\The Forgotten-TRIMMED.mpg
    Info: MPEG-2 Video - 6107 kbps - 720x480 - DAR 1.333 - 29.97 fps (CFR) - Interlaced (TFF) - 1:30:11 hours - 162186 frames
    Audio 1: C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\Ulead VideoStudio SE\10.0\The Forgotten-TRIMMED.mpg
    Info: MPEG-1 Audio layer 2 - 128 kbps - CBR - 2 ch - 48000 Hz - 1:30:11 hours (-96 ms delay)
    [MediaInfoLib - v0.7.61]
    <>

AVISYNTH SCRIPT
    Import("C:\Program Files\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")

# Video is frameserved by AviSynth just for Preview and Edit purposes.
    Video = A2DVideoSource("C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\Ulead VideoStudio SE\10.0\The Forgotten-TRIMMED.mpg", CacheFolder="C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp", FrameRate=29.97, VFR=false)
    # Audio is frameserved by AviSynth just for Preview and Edit purposes.
    Audio = A2DAudioSource("C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\Ulead VideoStudio SE\10.0\The Forgotten-TRIMMED.mpg", CacheFolder="C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp")

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
    <>

START VIDEO DEMUXING OPERATIONS
    Target Video FileSize: 3940 MB
    FFmpeg Parameters: -i "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\Ulead VideoStudio SE\10.0\The Forgotten-TRIMMED.mpg" -vcodec copy "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_The Forgotten-TRIMMED.m2v"
    <>

<4/20/2014 6:23:43 PM>
    END VIDEO DEMUXING OPERATIONS
    Created File: C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_The Forgotten-TRIMMED.m2v (3943.3 MB)
    OUTPUT VIDEO INFO: MPEG-2 Video - 6112 kbps - 720x480 - DAR 1.333 - 29.97 fps (CFR) - Interlaced (TFF) - 1:30:11 hours - 162184 frames
    <>

<4/20/2014 6:23:43 PM>
    START AUDIO DEMUXING OPERATIONS (Track 1)
    FFmpeg Parameters: -i "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\Ulead VideoStudio SE\10.0\The Forgotten-TRIMMED.mpg" -acodec copy -map 0:1 "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_The Forgotten-TRIMMED_1.ToFix.mp2"
    <>

<4/20/2014 6:25:27 PM>
    END AUDIO DEMUXING OPERATIONS (Track 1)
    Created File: C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_The Forgotten-TRIMMED_1.mp2 (82.6 MB)
    OUTPUT AUDIO INFO: MPEG-1 Audio layer 2 - 128 kbps - CBR - 2 ch - 48000 Hz - 1:30:12 hours (0 ms delay)
    <>

<4/20/2014 6:25:28 PM>
    START DVD MENU BUILDING OPERATIONS
    DVD Menu settings:
    Style: 0
    Aspect Ratio: 0
    Titles Format: 1
    Template: SpotLight
    Max Titles Page: 12
    Enable Play All: 1
    Force Play All: 1
    Background Audio: 0
    Max Thumbs Row: 4
    Thumb Image Source: 1
    Thumb Frame Position: 10%
    HL Frame Format: 0
    HL Selection Color: 9
    HL Play Color: 8
    Menu Video BitRate: 6000 kbps
    Motion Menu Duration: 15 seconds
    Thumb Drop Shadow: 2
    Play All Shadow: 2
    Arrows Shadow: 0
    <>

<4/20/2014 6:25:31 PM>
    END DVD MENU BUILDING OPERATIONS
    Created File (Menu Page 1): C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_MenuPage1.bmp (1 MB)
    <>

<4/20/2014 6:25:32 PM>
    START DVD AUTHORING OPERATIONS
    BatchMux Parameters: -arglist "C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp\The Forgotten_3_BatchMux.ini"
    BatchMux ini file:
    -d "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3\VIDEO_TS"
    -mxp "C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp\The Forgotten_3_MuxMan.mxp"
    -l "C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp\The Forgotten_3_MuxMan.log"
    -muxman "C:\Program Files\AVStoDVD\MuxMan"
    -prio LOW
    -palette "C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp\The Forgotten_3_Palette.txt"
    -v "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_The Forgotten-TRIMMED.m2v"
    -vidmode 4:3
    -a1 "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_The Forgotten-TRIMMED_1.mp2"
    -a1lang en
    -cellfr "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_The Forgotten-TRIMMED_Chapters.txt"
    -progfr "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_The Forgotten-TRIMMED_Chapters.txt"
    -chapfr "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_The Forgotten-TRIMMED_Chapters.txt"
    -SEG2v "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_MenuPage1.bmp"
    -SEG2vidmode 4:3
    -SEG2s1 "C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3_Menu.sst"
    -SEG2s1dmode LB
    -SEG2hlmnu "C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp\The Forgotten_3_MenuPage1_Buttons.mnu"
    -SEG2hlcsm "C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp\The Forgotten_3_HighlightScheme.csm
    -hcn "C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp\The Forgotten_3_BatchMux.hcn"
    <>

<4/20/2014 6:35:40 PM>
    END DVD AUTHORING OPERATIONS
    Created Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\My Videos\AVStoDVD\The Forgotten_3 (4103.8 MB)

CHECK DVD SIZE
    DVD Folder (actual) Size: 4103.8 MB
    vs Estimated Size: 4106 MB -> 0.1% undersize
    vs Assets Size: 4026.8 MB -> Warning!
    <>

<4/20/2014 6:35:40 PM>
    Log file created by AVStoDVD Release 2.7.3
    <>
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a few thoughts.

1. I see you are exporting mp2 audio. I thought that was not part of the NTSC DVD spec.
    2. The imported assets (subject to the above) appear to be dvd-compliant so no transcoding is taking place - you should get out what you put in.
    3. Does your version of Ulead have a dvd profile for export or do you just set this yourself ?
    4. If possible, I would go back to Ulead and re-export your edit with PCM audio. You should be able to encode at 6000 kbps variable bit rate but 5,500 for 90 minutes should still suffice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just a few thoughts.

1. I see you are exporting mp2 audio. I thought that was not part of the NTSC DVD spec.
    The "What is DVD" page at VideoHelp says that mp2 is allowed, but only when there is also an AC3 or PCM audio track. When there is only one audio track, it must be PCM (as you suggested) or AC3,
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nedriv49 View Post
    The resulting DVD that I burned seems to be OK for about one third of the video, then the audio gradually gets out of sync.

I should also note that When I captured the DVR recording with Ulead VideoStudio and EZcap116, there were ZERO Frames dropped.
    When audio gradually goes out of sync as you describe, it is normally caused by errors in the audio stream or the video stream.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    When audio gradually goes out of sync as you describe, it is normally caused by errors in the audio stream or the video stream.
    I reran my mpg file through AVStoDVD and paid closer attention to the "command" window as the mpg was being processed. I noticed several (about 20) errors occurred during the ffmpeg audio processing step that said "[mp2 @ location] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: location >= location" with different locations noted.

Could these errors be causing a "compounding" audio delay?

What does this error really mean (It's Greek to me...)

Is there a way to eliminate/repair these errors?

I'm a real neophyte when it comes to this stuff, so if possible, please keep it simple for me.

Thanks,
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Just a few thoughts.

2. The imported assets (subject to the above) appear to be dvd-compliant so no transcoding is taking place - you should get out what you put in.
    3. Does your version of Ulead have a dvd profile for export or do you just set this yourself ?
    4. If possible, I would go back to Ulead and re-export your edit with PCM audio. You should be able to encode at 6000 kbps variable bit rate but 5,500 for 90 minutes should still suffice.
    Hi DB83,
    Replying to your comments/questions by number.
    1) I don't know about that, but as I mentioned, I have successfully converted over 130 VHS tapes to DVD using this same setup.
    2) OK, I basically accept the default settings in AVStoDVD
    3) Ulead allows me to choose an output format from a dropdown list. I choose DVD. I then set the video resolution, video and audio bitrate, I can choose audio of MPEG or LPCM. I have always left it at MPEG and it has always seemed to work OK.
    4) I could try that, I think I would need to recapture the video from the DVR which, unfortunately, I already deleted.

See my other post regarding some errors I noticed while rerunning my mpg file through AVStoDVD.

Thanks for your help
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I reran my mpg file through AVStoDVD and paid closer attention to the "command" window as the mpg was being processed. I noticed several (about 20) errors occurred during the ffmpeg audio processing step that said "[mp2 @ location] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: location >= location" with different locations noted.

Could these errors be causing a "compounding" audio delay?

What does this error really mean (It's Greek to me...)

Is there a way to eliminate/repair these errors?

I'm a real neophyte when it comes to this stuff, so if possible, please keep it simple for me.

Thanks,
    Ed
    To be honest, I'm not all that familiar with ffmepg, and haven't seen that error message. I only know what causes the gradual loss of sync that you describe. I sometimes see it with captures from digital TV channels I make using a TV tuner card. Running the capture file through VideoReDo Plus's "quick stream fix" utility usually helps. It does minimal re-encoding.

Regarding mp2 as the only audio in an NTSC DVDs, some authoring software will accept it, but if authoring software follows the formal DVD specification exactly, that software may reject it,. Probably lots of DVD players will play it too, but there is no guarantee that will be true for every DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    [QUOTE=usually_quiet;2316757][QUOTE=nedriv49;2316750]
    Running the capture file through VideoReDo Plus's "quick stream fix" utility usually helps. It does minimal re-encoding.
    I took your advice and downloaded VideoReDo and used the "quick stream fix". It found 22 audio errors. I re-ran AVStoDVD and now the audio is sync'd properly. THANK YOU!!

Regarding VideoReDo, the 8 day trial is very short, and the software is VERY costly for only occasional use. Is there any other software that does this audio repair processing?

Thanks again,
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not follow the development of avstodvd closely. Nut IIRC the author has only started using ffmepg as the muxer lately (but I could be confusing that with something else.

Even so, there is a difference between a broadcast recording (which can have transmission drop-outs) and a VHS capture (which has different types of drop-outs). I guess the original audio was not mp2 so some conversion and, probably, data loss is taking place in that part of the process. The preview players could well compensate hence the encoding apparently being in sync. Just because you have had no issues with your VHS work does not mean no issues with this set-up.

If mp2 audio works for you then fine but as u_q states there is no guarantee that all, including your next player, will handle it.

It may well be worth the experiment to recapture again. And talking of the capture is the audio in the capture process mp2 or PCM ?. I would always, if I had the choice, capture audio at PCM.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I do not follow the development of avstodvd closely. Nut IIRC the author has only started using ffmepg as the muxer lately (but I could be confusing that with something else.

Even so, there is a difference between a broadcast recording (which can have transmission drop-outs) and a VHS capture (which has different types of drop-outs). I guess the original audio was not mp2 so some conversion and, probably, data loss is taking place in that part of the process. The preview players could well compensate hence the encoding apparently being in sync. Just because you have had no issues with your VHS work does not mean no issues with this set-up.

If mp2 audio works for you then fine but as u_q states there is no guarantee that all, including your next player, will handle it.

It may well be worth the experiment to recapture again. And talking of the capture is the audio in the capture process mp2 or PCM ?. I would always, if I had the choice, capture audio at PCM.
    Hi DB83,
    Thanks for your feedback. I will try the LPCM audio option on my next capture. As to the recapture experiment you suggested, unfortunately, I cannot do the recapture since I deleted the DVR recording from which I did the capture.

Regarding your question on whether the audio is mp2 or PCM, I don't know how to determine the answer? Can you provide guidance to me on how to determine the answer? All I know is I let Ulead Videostudio default to MPEG for audio capture.

From a previous post by usually_quiet, he said "The "What is DVD" page at VideoHelp says that mp2 is allowed, but only when there is also an AC3 or PCM audio track. When there is only one audio track, it must be PCM (as you suggested) or AC3."
    So, doesn't this imply the audio track is PCM, or it wouldn't work in AVStoDVD? I guess I'm just not sure.

Thanks again for your help.

Ed
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    DB83,

I think I've found the answer about whether the audio is mp2 or pcm. I forced AVStoDVD to reencode the audio. During this process the output showed that it "Found PCM Audio". Not sure if that's the answer but, there it is. I attached a screenshot of the output from that process.

So, is that the answer. Does that make my process more acceptable? Not sure how to ask the questions.

By the way, the reencoding of the audio did not correct the sync problem. However, in a previous post I indicated the sync problem was resolved using VideoReDo's "Quick Stream Fix".

Regards,
    Ed

Click image for larger version

Name:	FoundPCMAudio.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	24695
    Last edited by nedriv49; 22nd Apr 2014 at 11:50. Reason: fix formatting
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Running the capture file through VideoReDo Plus's "quick stream fix" utility usually helps. It does minimal re-encoding.
    I took your advice and downloaded VideoReDo and used the "quick stream fix". It found 22 audio errors. I re-ran AVStoDVD and now the audio is sync'd properly. THANK YOU!!

Regarding VideoReDo, the 8 day trial is very short, and the software is VERY costly for only occasional use. Is there any other software that does this audio repair processing?

Thanks again,
    Ed
    I don't know of any software that can repair files as well as VideoReDo.

Is $50 "very costly"? VideoReDo Plus is $50 and it is a decent frame-accurate editor. http://www.videoredo.com/en/PurchasePayment.htm?product=plus

VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 costs $96 but unless you decide to start doing H.264 captures, you probably will not need it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Just for clarity, I suggested PCM for the capture since it is uncompressed ie best quality. I have used Ulead products for many years and I would have been surprised if PCM was not available at the capture point. Since you were unsure then, clearly, you did not see the available options.

Unless I read you incorrectly, you have not attempted to author the dvd 'as is' ie leave both video which is already dvd-compliant alone and the audio 'unforced' ie at PCM. And that in-its-self gives you maximum compatabity.

If it does not make any difference to the authoring ie it does not fix/ingnore transmission drop-outs then you have little choice but to use videoredo.

Having said that, there is often no consistency with transmissions so your next DVR recording could be fine. Something you only find out at the end unless you are prepared to invest in the software.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!