VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I have a video capture device which creates and stores videos onto it in the AVI format as shown in the MediaInfo screenshot.

However I cannot create an AVI using MediaCoder that will work on this device and every time I try to set the GOP settings it just ignores them and the MediaInfo for the computer created file doesn't include these settings at all.

So my question is how can I make an AVI file using MediaCoder or some other software that will work on my video capture device?

Thank you.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by patel_d21 View Post
    ... that will work on my video capture device?
    Your screenshot shows H264 video and ADPCM U-Law audio.
    Is this the only format that the "video capture device" will accept?
    And does the attached testfile.avi work OK?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi bat999,

Yes that's correct all the files the device creates are H264 video files with ADPCM U-Law audio along with the other format settings included in the screenshot and these are the only files the device seems to play, anything other than AVI files it cannot even see the files in at all and unless the AVI file has been created from the device itself any other AVI file just gives the error "File Not Support" when I try to run it.

The testfile.avi file works just fine on my PC, but not on the device that I'm trying to get it to work on though.

It's a very strange one really, if you need any further details please let me know and I'll do what I can to provide those details.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try this - the specs match your mediainfo report except for bitrate, but mediainfo only reveals a few things about the video, several other things can be mismatched. You need to post a video sample

You can use x264 directly if mediacoder doesn't allow you to control the settings
    http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hi poisondeathray,

Please find the sample file that came with the device in question and works fine on the device as it was created specifically for it, I have left the file untouched as it was and is on the device so you can have a proper look at it.

I tried your file, but that just gives the same error and works fine on my PC.

How did you create that file and how do I go about using x264 directly, I'm very new to this kind of thing and not technical minded in any way at all?

Thank you.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. x264 is commandline software. Some of the settings available are listed in that link above

You can use a GUI for x264, something like simple x264 launcher, megui, handbrake, ripbot, and customize the commandline settings (some of the GUI's have a custom command line box) to try to match the video

Test these; they differ slightly by metadata
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 21st Apr 2014 at 14:52.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you, I will try using x264 directly through one of the above mentioned methods when I get an opportunity to mess around with my test video file again and see how it goes.

Also I have tried both of the test files and they both just give the same error again on the device, but work using my PC, although that test2a.avi didn't work using VLC Player, which is what I use the most for video playback on my PC, worked fine using Real Player though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry I don't know then. Even the metadata is "spoofed" on the 1st one (e.g. DSC-India software design team, TI ) , and the encoder string removed for the 2nd one

These were the settings used for encoding

Code:
    x264 --profile high --level 5 --crf 20 --keyint 30 --ref 1 --bframes 0 --weightp 0 --vbv-maxrate 4000 --vbv-bufsize 4000 --force-cfr -o x264v2.avi input.ext
    Metadata was copied by ffmpeg, and audio was encoded by audacity, A&V muxed by ffmpeg

Code:
    Format                                   : AVI
    Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
    File size                                : 767 KiB
    Duration                                 : 5s 60ms
    Overall bit rate                         : 1 242 Kbps
    Encoded by                               : DSC-India software design team, TI
    Subject                                  : MPEG4 MOVIE
    Copyright                                : Texas Instruments Inc
    Comment                                  : MPEG4 OpenDML movie file

Video
    ID                                       : 0
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L5.0
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=30
    Codec ID                                 : H264
    Duration                                 : 5s 33ms
    Bit rate                                 : 709 Kbps
    Width                                    : 720 pixels
    Height                                   : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2
    Frame rate                               : 30.000 fps
    Standard                                 : NTSC
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.068
    Stream size                              : 436 KiB (57%)

Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : ADPCM
    Format profile                           : U-Law
    Codec ID                                 : 7
    Codec ID/Hint                            : CCITT
    Duration                                 : 5s 60ms
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 512 Kbps
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Sampling rate                            : 32.0 KHz
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Stream size                              : 316 KiB (41%)
    Interleave, duration                     : 63 ms (1.89 video frames)

The bitrate doesn't match, but your device should be able to play lower bitrates (but not necessarily higher bitrates)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 21st Apr 2014 at 16:16.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    It's alright, thanks for your help anyway, I may just have to give up with it then, I'll see what I can do first though.

Also I might try one of the video encoders/decoders that Texas Instruments use for various chipsets they manufacture, these seem to be freely available to download and try from their website, but I'm just not sure which chipset I have and whether they have the relevant encoder/decoder for that chipset on their website or not, I'd say it's worth a try though.
    Quote Quote  
  10. But why do you need to encode files to playback on this device if it's meant for capturing ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Lol, that's a good question and the answer is a bit lame and stupid, but here goes.

I'd like to hook it up to my TV so I can watch videos off that on the TV, not just ones the device has created, but any video I happen to have after I've correctly converted and encoded it to work on the device, it's a nice portable device which I can easily store in my pocket with a nice Samsung Galaxy S3 sized screen for watching videos on directly and it has some good connectivity options for connecting to various output devices whilst on the move and it has a decently sized 320GB hard drive on it to store a good amount of video on it and it can output in full HD quality too with an optional HD out cable, which I'm thinking of buying if I can get some videos working on it and if I can find the correct cable of course.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!