VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got all 10 episodes of the first season of Game of Thrones currently in MKV format, and need to add subtitles.
    My understanding is that these should be in .srt format (text) to be pretty much universally supported.

The source of these MKVs was blu-ray, and I have copies of all the subtitles in .sup format but as far as I'm aware there is no way to "directly" convert these into .srt files without OCR-ing.

I don't really like the idea of using OCR, not just because it can take awhile waiting at the computer, but also because it's prone to spelling mistakes.

I don't know why, but I used to think that DVD subtitles were stored as .srt s and that the bitmap-subtitle setup was all new for blu-ray, but a quick google search showed me otherwise.
    In my mind the idea was to borrow the Game of Thrones DVD off a friend, and take the .srt files from there to mux with my MKVs, but it looks like I was being slightly naive.

So is there no way for us 'consumers' to get at any 'official' SRT files?
    If I download an SRT off opensubtitles.org, will that have been OCR-ed by someone from blu-ray/DVD somewhere down the line?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by edd1234 View Post
    My understanding is that these should be in .srt format (text) to be pretty much universally supported.
    Don't know about that. Are VobSubs okay for you? They can be created from the SUP files using BDSup2Sub.
    So is there no way for us 'consumers' to get at any 'official' SRT files?
    There's no such thing as 'official' SRTs.
    If I download an SRT off opensubtitles.org, will that have been OCR-ed by someone from blu-ray/DVD somewhere down the line?
    Yes.

There are some programs that can perform an 'automatic' OCR to SRT without you having to type anything. But they usually have to be edited at least a little bit afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    There's no such thing as 'official' SRTs.
    I get that now, I just had this impression that if you could get them off DVDs, then you could either "homemake" them, or get the "real" ones, but it turns out that was just a figment of my imagination...

Do you think it likely that VobSubs will work on anything from android phones to Smart TVs? If so I'll give them a go
    I've never had subtitles in anything but .srt, so I don't really know how it all works
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by edd1234 View Post
    Do you think it likely that VobSubs will work on anything from android phones to Smart TVs?
    Sorry, no android phone, no smart TV. A manual should say what subs are supported.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite a few subtitles in SRT format have been produced very accurately for the hard of hearing by a few dedicated individuals so it would be worthwhile having a look on some of the subtitle sites and simply trying a few.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Lot of dvds have subs in cc/srt format,i use handbrake to include the cc subs which are in srt format and then use mkvcleaver to extract them and edit.

If you need subtitles for tv shows http://www.addic7ed.com/ is the best place to get them,other sites get the subs from them such as opensubtitles.org.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Lot of dvds have subs in cc/srt format
    I knew I'd read somewhere that you could sometimes get a .SRT straight off the DVDs rather than converting/OCR from blu-ray .sup

My process for OCR-ing is as follows, can someone just confirm I'm not making too much of a meal out of this?:
    1) Blu-Ray --> MKV (via MakeMKV)
    2) MKV --> .sup (via MKVCleaver)
    3)a) .sup --> .srt (via SupRip)
    b) .sup --> .srt (via Subtitle Edit)
    4) Compare two .srt files with WinMerge. Correct any differences in the SupRip version. *
    5) Open checked srt, (originally from SupRip), in Subtitle Edit and "renumber" to fix errors after checking.
    Done...

*The reason I make two and compare them is both Subtitle Edit and SupRip have their flaws.
    -Subtitle Edit makes far more spelling mistakes, and often changes grammer from "..." to "-.." or "?" to "'?" etc.
    -If text is repeated twice in a short amount of time, SupRip deletes the second iteration and makes it one long speech. In all the instances I've seen, this is wrong.

In SupRip, after doing "Auto-OCR", it tells me there are usually about 30 errors still in there, given by the ¤ symbol. The only way I can find of identifying these lines with errors is saving the srt temporarily, opening it in wordpad, and using CTRL-F to find that symbol (¤). Is there no way to skip straight to these lines with errors in SupRip itself?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by edd1234 View Post
    I knew I'd read somewhere that you could sometimes get a .SRT straight off the DVDs rather than converting/OCR from blu-ray .sup
    You can, but closed captions aren't in SRT format. Something like CCExtractor converts them to SRT or other subtitle formats from the text-based format being used for the CCs. That's the reason an OCR isn't necessary for CCs the way it is for image-based subs such as the ones on DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!