VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi - I've joined today and hope that I'm posting to the right area. I could sure use some help

I want to burn blu-ray discs from my dvr. I've just bought a Hauppauge 1512, a Pioneer BDR-2209, and a box of Verbatim BD-R discs. I gave it a try by copying a movie (via component) using Hauppauge Capture. That works fine, and creates a .ts file that plays back OK within Hauppauge Capture.

My problem is getting a usable blu-ray disc. My first try used the software supplied with the 1512, CyberLink's Power Director 10. It converted the file to .m2ts, which took around 5 hours (!) and then burned a BD disc. It played on my Oppo 93, but omitted portions of the film periodically, about 5 seconds missing each time. The time to do this, along with the defective recording, led me to try tsMuxerGUI followed by ImgBurn to create the disc.

I've tried the above procedure 3 times today; each time I've followed threads (various forums) to the letter for both procedure, and each time, the Oppo won't read the disc. Nothing - I press "play" and nothing happens. I've not done any editing, added menus, etc...just burned the BDMV and Certificate folders that tsMuxer created. Checking the discs on my computer, they contain 8 folders within BDMV, the main movie file within "Stream".

At the moment, I don't have a way to know whether tsMuxer or ImgBurn is the problem area. Can anyone suggest something else that I can try, or perhaps an alternate conversion/burning method? Any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by Foto28; 18th Apr 2014 at 21:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Too many steps to know where your problem is off hand.
    You need to make sure the file you get out of PD is blu-ray compliant.
    This is supposing that there isn't any copy protection interfering with your workflow.
    Make sure to use good blu-ray blanks and burn at say, 4X write-speed.

Personally, I question whether PD is putting out a good file.
    If it were me, I would be tempted to try another prog. to get the files over to m2ts.
    I am not familiar with your capture device, others here that have it can give you more detail about how to get this over to blu-ray compliant files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you burn the disc as udf 2.50? Without a menu the video should start playing automatically without you having to press play.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a software player on your computer, I would suggest you play the BR folder through that instead of burning discs. That way you don't end up wasting discs. Once you get things sorted out, then you can burn a BR disc.
    More computer details in your profile is a good idea too. Processor type, amount of ram, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all of your replies:

Steve - There shouldn't be any copy protection problem since I used component and it's not a recording from HBO, etc that specifically prevents copying. I installed VLC last night at a friend's suggestion and did a test play of the .m2ts file within the BDMV folder (i.e. the copy converted by tsMuxer) and it played fine on VLC, although it was pretty badly out of sync. The latter wasn't the case when played with Hauppauge Capture. I used Verbatim BD discs and copied at their native speed, 6x. Any suggestions for a different program to capture the file from the dvr?

Gil - yes, it's udf 2.50.

Brainiac - I tested it on VLC last night (see above) and it played fine except for the sync problem. It seems to play OK everywhere except the actual discs on the Oppo (naturally). Computer info: Windows 7 (32), Intel i3-4330 CPU @ 3.5GHz, 8GB RAM.

Question re: tsMuxer: for Output, I'm choosing "Blu-ray folder" - is that correct, rather than "Blu-ray ISO" or "AVCHD Folder"?
    Last edited by Foto28; 19th Apr 2014 at 14:33.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 24624 - Click to enlarge]

Here's a screen cap of my tsMuxer settings
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I meant is using software like TotalMedia Theatre, PowerDVD or the likes. You should be able to find a comprehensive list in the TOOLS section of this site. You should be able to have the software load the disc folder (NOT the individual file(s)) you have created. The benefit would be that the software would operate like a blu-ray player and you would be able to determine if the blu-ray plays as it should before you actually commit to burning it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you used tsmuxergui you say you select Bluray as output format. I usually select avchd even when I later write the folders to a BD disc. To save discs if your Oppo has usb input you could also put the avchd on a thumb drive. I don't do that since I have a lot of re-writable BD-RE discs but apparently you need to make a folder called AVCHD (all caps) and put the BMVD and Certificate folders in it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Outputting as AVCHD is worth a shot. In the early days of Blu-Ray, Doom9 maintained a list of players that were touchy about various things, and the list was long. Dunno about the Oppo standalones.

I used to author AVCHDs with tsMuxer from my (original) Hauppauge HD-PVR captures. (They always played on my Sony BDP-S360s). One time I didn't get the bitrate right and ran a little over BD5 size. I thought I'd run it through BDRB and re-encode the audio. Surprise! BDRB wouldn't accept the input. Which tells me something might not have been entirely within spec.

I'm curious: have you tried capturing 720p? I say that because apart from PBS, a lot of stuff is 720p anyway, and editing it is a helluva lot more accurate (than 1080i) when using tsSniper.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 19th Apr 2014 at 19:34.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Something else to try: Run the .ts (transport stream) file through tsSniper. It wouldn't hurt to trim off the junk frames front and back where the capture starts and stops. The main purpose though being to have tsSniper analyze the transport stream and write a new header. It could very well be that the timestamps are wrong, I've seen that often, and it may be why your Oppo doesn't like the result. Then mux/author with tsMuxer. I wouldn't let anything by Cyberlink touch your captures.

BTW, always use ImgBurn for burning Blu-Ray video. It will automatically prompt you if it isn't set to use the correct file format, so if your mux had been good, the disc should have played. Assuming, that is, that your Oppo isn't excessively particular about something or other. Do you have another standalone player to test?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. +1 for trimming a little off start and end of file.
    The reason being if there is an offset you are not aware of then sometimes tsmuxer will align the video and audio track.
    The next step would be to use converter(s) to make sure both video and audio are compliant to blu-ray.
    If could well be that the video is already compliant with only the audio needing to be converted, as I mentioned
    above, I am not familiar with your capture device.

As far as which capture program to use, I'll leave that to other members to advise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HTL or LTH discs?
    The LTH discs are not all that great. Even budget HTL tend to be better.

I assume 25gb too, not 50gb. (Correct?)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lots of good ideas - many thanks, everyone. I'll give these a try. I tried AVCHD outputting to a flash drive yesterday - no difference.

Yes, 25GB discs (Verbatim). B&H has them for a good price (25 for $23.xx and free shipping), BTW. Will do more experiments today. The Oppo has never been fussy - it plays anything I give it up till now - it's modified for RF but I can't see that that should affect anything else. But yes, I also have a Panasonic player that I can hook up today and use for testing.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Getting back with an update. I found out, thanks to another guy that I chatted with, that the Hauppauge 1512 records audio in AAC format, not BD compliant. Apparently they dropped support for AC3 except by optical input; I decided to return the 1512 and replace it with a 1212, since others were doing exactly what I wanted to do using the 1212 without problems. I got the the latter a few days ago and so far, everything is now running smoothly at last. I'm recording from Comcast DVR via component at 13.5 MB with DD AC3 2.0 to .ts files, 29.97fps, using Hauppauge Capture. No editing nor Video Redo has been needed; I run the files through txMuxer to convert to .m2ts, then burn to Verbatim BD-R using ImgBurn at 6x. The discs play with no sync error nor other problems on both Oppo 93 and Panasonic players. Yesterday I tried burning multiple files to one disc and that works too (I don't need an actual menu - just choose the desired title from the list that Oppo brings up), so I'm very pleased Thanks again for the help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 1512 also compresses to ac3 over hdmi as long as the "disable" check mark is off (but capturing some sources over hdmi is another story ).
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!