VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Howdy all,

was just wondering the most efficient way to convert later version codec to old skool AVI/XVID.

Most softwares I'm familiar with but they have all stopped supporting xvid, I mainly use MeGUI but it has errors but think it's just the way I set it up as it's portable.

I do like the idea of handbrake & mencoder Command line as they are easy & convert in 10 minutes on my rig but they don't support the codec anymore

Just in case your wondering it's needed for my mother inlaws DVD/Media player as it won't play new codecs & not firmware updateable!

TIA Grant
    Quote Quote  
  2. What errors are you experiencing using MeGUI? It's the program I would have suggested.

HDConvertToX and FFCoder are two programs which come to mind. They both still support Xvid encoding. Maybe because neither has been updated in a while, but they both should open and convert MKV/MP4.

If you're after "quick and easy" for one time viewing conversion, maybe try Video To Video Converter. It doesn't give you much control over encoder settings, but it has lots of presets and it'll convert almost anything to anything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Attached are the error's that I get with MeGUI, but read it could be because it was a portable version & AVIsynth isn't setup correctly & also need to make sure I use ffmpeg instead of directshow & best to create my own synth script but not sure on any of those just a thread I saw that sounded similar to my issue!

Thanks for the advice on the other programs, I will look into them if I can't sort out MeGUI!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	megui xvid error LOG.png
Views:	903
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	24592  

Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Encoders expecting video height resolution that's mod16 isn't unheard of especially with mpeg4 asp. It's not as complex as it sounds.

"Mod 16" means divisible by 16, no remainder. Modular arithmetic is common in computer programming. And in geek written docs and error messages.

You may want to resize to mod16 or crop/add black borders.

Avidemux works very well for xvid/ASP. It's what I use if I want to convert to xvid. It seems a lot easier than what you're using.

There's no great speed differences between encoders. The standard video geek response to those wanting faster encodes is "get better hardware". If you want quick and dirty use 1 pass bitrate/target size mode and not a lot of quality options.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I can't see the whole log file, but "versions" has an exclamation mark next to it and "update detection" has an "x" next to it so it'd appear there's problems there. I could only guess as to what they are but MeGUI is pretty much self contained (including the portable version of Avisynth which it uses).
    The Haali Media Splitter is required for some file types but other than that you shouldn't need to have anything else installed (aside from a correct version of the dot net framework, which you probably do). It'd be helpful to see the "versions" and "update detection" sections expanded in order to work out what MeGUI is unhappy about there, but it doesn't relate to the "Problem in Avisynth script" warning you're seeing.

Back in the dark ages, video needed to be mod16 (width and height both evenly divisible by 16) so MeGUI is warning you about it. It only offers that warning when you add an encoding job to the queue while the selected encoder is Xvid. You can ignore it and encode non-mod16 anyway. The warning message is a bit deceiving because it implies the mod16 issue is an encoder issue, when in fact Xvid will happily encode that way (the warning message itself has probably been the same since MeGUI was first created and it should be changed). The issue is a decoding one. If your player doesn't mind, you can happily encode non-mod16. Generally as long as you resize to mod4 dimensions (width and height both evenly divisible by 4) you shouldn't have any problems.

Most DVD players are standard definition only, and most will only support a maximum width of 720. So normally you'd need to resize to an appropriate width and height. 720x400, 720x384.... that sort of thing. If it's a media player which will play higher resolutions, then obviously you don't need to resize down.

The Xvid encoder isn't necessarily great at using a quadcore CPU to it's full capacity. If you run an encode and check CPU usage to find it's not particularly busy, the simplest workaround would be to run more than one encode at a time if possible. MeGUI makes that fairly easy to do if you add multiple encoding jobs to the queue. If you need instructions regarding how to run two jobs simultaneously, post back.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 18th Apr 2014 at 15:11.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I tried AVIdemux but got the attached message when I tried to queue it?

But then I tried install Haalisplitter & AVIsynth & went back to MeGUI but still had the same issue, sorry those other errors are just cause I don't have the computer connected to net & don't allow updates!

But then I found an old version of MeGUI I had lying around (was x86 version) & thought I'd try it anyway & BINGO it converted a 40minute show in 6 minutes per pass, not to mention the picture quality was better than AVS & the file size & bitrate was a lot lower (in percentage comparing file sizes).
    What is it that get's edited in MeGUI to make it a true x64 version instead of x86?

Also what does everyone find a better codec installer shark007 or K-Lite mega, & is there a specific way to set either of them up for both xvid & H264 or should I have seperate machines for either codec conversion?

Thanks again EVERYONE Grant
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AVIdemux error.png
Views:	617
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	24613  

Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy your mother-in-law a blu-ray player and show her how to play the files without re-encoding.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Why do you need a codec pack?
    There's plenty of self-contained players which don't require addition codecs. I use MPC-HC myself. VLC is popular.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't want to buy a new player as I'm stubborn & like to get things working!

Need to install codec packs to be able to encode, not talking about playing... conversions like the thread section suggests!
    Quote Quote  
  10. The players I linked to are free.

Most encoder programs are pretty much self contained too these days. MeGUI for example. No need for codec packs. Which encoder GUI were you looking at which requires them?

I have the Haali Media Splitter installed for MeGUI and ffdshow for the odd bit of DirectShow decoding, but that's about it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah those players are good/fine if your playing off a device that supports them, but going off topic!

Well now seeing I've found a version of MeGUI that does xvid/avi/asp & have another that's set for x264 encoding I'm pretty well sorted with it I think!

So I guess it's just a matter of what codecs are needed for them & what do you change in standard form of MeGUI to make it x64 or should I ask that in other sub thread?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't really know about the 64 bit thing.... I'm still using XP. I'm not sure it's possible to make MeGUI 64 bit because most of the tools it uses are 32 bit. It'd require the 64 bit version of Avisynth which I don't think is being developed any longer, which in turn would require 64 bit Avisynth plugins of which I don't think there's many, and development of the 64 bit version of MeGUI stopped a year or so ago. Save yourself a huge headache and just use the 32 bit version. I don't think there's much benefit to 64 bit anyway (in respect to encoding speed).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Hello Hello,

I was part of an encoding group & have a working x64 MeGUI they created was trying to mod it myself for future updates but might be out of my range from what you say!

I just found out why none of my other MeGUI versions were working for whatever reason if you go into MeGUI options & change the last tab to use nero AAC (needs restart to enable) then it causes the issue!!!

As soon as you untick that & restart it encodes even with my x64 version so now all sweet!!!

Thanks you everyone for tips & advice it might be 1 of those tips the mod's here might want to keep on the registry!

Cheers Grant

Just to test I tried uninstalling everything to see what MeGUI needed & it won't run for my formats & guessing more without codec packs installed (can't get passed open create avs-dssource).
    Then it would create X264 encodes with just codec pack, but then wouldn't create AVI-XVID-ASP without having AVIsynth installed, it does create without HaaliMediaSplitter but think it may work better with it as it uses it for part of the script if installed but will work without it installed!
    Last edited by GruntVidStar; 20th Apr 2014 at 00:48.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You'll probably need third party codecs to decode some/many formats using DirectShowSource (ffdshow covers it for me), but DirectShow should really be kept as a "last resort" decoding method unless you particularly need to decode that way for some reason. It's a better idea to open files using the File Indexer and let MeGUI index them with ffmsindex or dgindex etc and then decode them that way.

As far as I know MeGUI is self contained. It doesn't require codec packs to decode all the common formats and re-encode with x264 or Xvid. It even comes with a portable version of Avisynth so you can still encode without Avisynth installed. The only things you need to download yourself are the Nero and QAAC audio encoders and Haali Media Splitter. It's required to decode some file types, as far as I know. Not having it installed might be why DirectShowSource isn't working, but when it comes to the 64 bit version of MeGUI, I have no idea what does and doesn't work.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 20th Apr 2014 at 02:10.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I'm not to sure about file indexer over DSS as I haven't done it that way, but can do some more testing!

Just found out I will also need lame mp3 encoder to be able to support the mother inlaws player too which isn't included in klite mega 10.40!

All a learning process!
    Quote Quote  
  16. DSS isn't very frame accurate. It's generally fine when re-encoding from start to finish, but if you use any complicated filtering in a script, or if you're just encoding specific sections of a video, it can be a bit of a disaster. I find, at least when using ffdshow for decoding, DSS can sometimes mange to decode "problem video" where other methods might fail. Occasionally I'll convert something to a lossless AVI using DSS for decoding, then index and re-encode the AVI while applying filtering.... that sort of thing. As a general rule though, DSS is probably the "last resort" method. Plus it relies on "system codecs" to do the decoding, and that's outside of MeGUI's control. It takes a little longer to set up an encode, but usually indexing first is the better way to go about it. MeGUI will choose the best indexer for the job. It's usually DGIndex for mpeg2 video and ffmsindex for everything else.
    The same applies to AVISource. Last resort.....

If you want to use the original audio (not re-encode it) DGIndex will extract the audio when indexing, and MeGUI can extract the audio from MKVs. It should be able to do the same for MP4s and AVIs (because it's not hard) but it's never been given that functionality. You can either extract it yourself, or remux files as MKVs with MKVMergeGUI and then open the remuxed MKV for encoding. If you use the file indexer, MeGUI will extract the audio while indexing.

I thought the LAME encoder was included with MeGUI, but maybe not. I'm pretty sure it is though. At least for the 32 bit version.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had never tested fileindexer over DSS, but did today & looks like it is a lot more accurate & handles easier!
    Only problem is the x64 MeGUI I have won't fileindex! it has an error saying can't handle media with a specific code (attached).

Other thing I tried was autoencode with MeGUI but it came out completely CRAP was completely different to encoding Audio & Video separately in MeGUI!
    But then if I encode audio & video separately in MeGUI for AVI then what is best to use to merge them as I normally use MKVmerge but obviously its going to merge as MKV not AVI.

For reference too the x64 MeGUI encoded the exact same file with exact same script & synth in 7:37 where as the x86 did it in 9:33, so there is a difference there!

other odd thing is if I use the x86 MeGUI to create fileindex the x64 can utilise & works perfectly but a bit of a PITA going between 2 versions!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. I thought the 64 bit version shows MeGUI x64 under versions in the log file. Was that log file from the 64 bit version?
    As far as I know, the only 64 bit version of Avisynth is 2.5.8.... I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a 64 bit 2.6.0.3 version.

You do realise, even the 32 bit version of MeGUI can encode using the 64 bit version of the x264 encoder? There's an option to enable it under Options/External Program configuration (if you're running a 64 bit version of Windows).

Other thing I tried was autoencode with MeGUI but it came out completely CRAP was completely different to encoding Audio & Video separately in MeGUI!
    There's no reason why it should unless you specified a different file size (or no file size) when setting up the encode with AutoEncode. Of course AutoEncode uses whatever encoder configuration you have at the time. Did you change that?

But then if I encode audio & video separately in MeGUI for AVI then what is best to use to merge them as I normally use MKVmerge but obviously its going to merge as MKV not AVI.
    VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod. For just straight muxing I find the latter easier. Either way, select Direct Stream Copy as the video compression method so it won't re-encode. Oh..... VirtualDubMod gets all huffy about variable bitrate MP3. You can ignore the warning. VirtualDub has a setting to disable the warning. It's just a left-over from the dark ages......

For reference too the x64 MeGUI encoded the exact same file with exact same script & synth in 7:37 where as the x86 did it in 9:33, so there is a difference there!
    MeGUI doesn't encode. It just tells the x264 encoder to encode via the commandline with Avisynth as the input. Of course each version of MeGUI could be using different versions of various tools including the x264 encoder.

Here's the thing...... Version A of MeGUI indexes with the version of ffmsindex it has in it's tools folder. Version B of MeGUI might be using a different ffms version which fails. You load the Version A script into MeGUI Version B and it works, but the script is using Version A of ffmsindex to decode.......

To be honest I'm not sure I could even guess as to what's happening, but I'm not sure there'd be any point anyway. Most of the tools listed under versions in the log file have been updated once or more since the versions you're using. MeGUI even uses a completely different version of Avisynth these days (Avisynth+). You really should dump those old versions and start again with the latest MeGUI. Here's a list of the changes you're missing out on.
    If you must keep the 64 bit version of MeGUI, that's fine, but at least update the 32 bit version so when you can't get the 64 bit version to work properly you can use the current 32 bit version instead.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by hello_hello; 21st Apr 2014 at 09:22.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh cool I will try & add the FFMS from version that works into the 1 that doesn't & see if that helps!

Yeah I know I should use latest version of MeGUI but as shown with times it does make a difference with whatever has been moded as I did use the exact same AVIsynth file & the same script.

I was told when encoding for the group if I update the x64 moded MeGUI from normal server updates it then changes files back so it's not true x64 bit version any more!
    But they never used file indexer so I can try & copy that accross!

Sorry I wasn't clear with merging AVI encode, I actually want to merge the encoded AVI & the MP3 to make a proper file not actually join avi's together!

I actually just found that MeGUI can join the AVI & MP3, avi-muxer in drop down... PRETTY COOL I must say!
    I also just tested & copying the FFMS folder from latest MeGUI to the x64 version now allows the indexer to work sweet!

Now I just need to figure out how to trim audio when using MeGUI to strip to MP3 Lame!
    Last edited by GruntVidStar; 22nd Apr 2014 at 04:42.
    Quote Quote  
  20. VirutalDub & VirtualDubMod will both mux audio and video into a single AVI. Yes, MeGUI has an AVI muxer too.

I still don't think you're using a 64 bit version of MeGUI but you didn't answer my question about the log file....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats strange with virutaldubmod, I couldn't find anywhere to select audio into stream.

But the avimux works really well in MeGUI, figured out how to trim the audio I want, not the correct way but just a simple -48174 ms audio delay.

Sorry about not replying about log file, yeah that was the x64 version of MeGUI, I even tested audio encode the latest x86 MeGUI did it in 2:07 & the x64 version did it in 1:48, so not a huge difference but still a difference using the exact same script files!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Once you open an AVI with VirtualDubMod the "Streams/Streams List" menu is where you'll find the audio streams. You can add/delete them there. You can also extract (demux) them. If you right click on an audio stream and select Interleaving, you can set an audio delay in the window which opens.

I'm in the habit of using VirtualDubMod for AVIs because it can extract audio from them and you can also use it to edit AVIs without re-encoding (if you edit on video keyframes). It's habit more than anything, I guess.

VirtualDub doesn't have the Streams menu but it has an Audio menu. VirtualDub will only add a single audio stream to an AVI. VirtualDubMod lets you add multiple streams.

From the log file you posted:

AviSynth: 2.6.0.3 (8/03/2013 4:28:48 PM) - portable

So that version of MeGUI is using it's own, portable, slightly out of date version of Avisynth, which I still strongly suspect is not 64 bit. Have a look-see round the internet to see if you can find a 64 bit version. I can't.
    The other version of MeGUI could be using a different portable version of Avisynth, an installed version of Avisynth, different versions of encoders, and the two MeGUI version could even create slightly different scripts (they way things are done is periodically changed). I'm not saying one version isn't faster than the other, I'm just fairly sceptical as to why.
    When you've compared encoding speed you've used the term "exact same script" a couple of times but not "exact same encoder settings". I could use the same version of MeGUI and encode a video in 30 minutes, then encode it again in three minutes using different x264 settings.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well I've tried it a couple of times & if I use an AVI file without audio already attached I can't add it separately with VirtualDubMod, but on a plus side now I have the fileindexer working I can now auto encode with MeGUI & it keeps everything at what I command for both script & encoder settings & process all done in 10 minutes (video encode, audio encode-with -xxxxxMS delay for video trim & the join) win for MeGUI.

Yeah honestly I know what your saying with MeGUI version not knowing what is being set as x64 but I used the same script & encoder setting down to a TEE for both audio & video encodes in both version & that was the time difference so there has to be something there.

Now x265 is out I may need to look at newer software encoding, but for now I can get the good x264 encode done for me & the downgrade xvid-avi-asp for mother in-law in 1 reasonably easy process.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by GruntVidStar View Post
    Now x265 is out I may need to look at newer software encoding.....
    x265 is very slow, not all that much better than x264 yet (if it is) and is has very little hardware support. It's not ready for prime-time and I wouldn't encode with it myself, aside from playing around. Maybe in a year or two.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	x264.gif
Views:	470
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	24713
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I had a feeling it may be a bit clunky with only being early days & if it is a lot slower & barely any difference I won't even bother, the next issue then also is if media players support that codec!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!