VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't record video often only once every month for classroom DIV presentation.
    What I need is HD (1080), mic in (wireless or external), earphone out, manual focus. However, I'm not able to find manual focus in consumer grading camcorder. Any suggestion ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Many consumer camcorders use the touch screen to manually focus. It's more commonly available than people realize.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some suggested that I need to consider entry level DSLR or mirorless camera, I'm confused.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by AAC View Post
    Some suggested that I need to consider entry level DSLR or mirorless camera, I'm confused.
    It's another option, but there's a lot to be said for the ergonomics and practicality of a regular camcorder. FWIW, www.BHPhotovideo.com has very good search tools for sorting through the features of different models.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've never seen manual focus feature in todays cameras. i have an old Canon Powershot S3 IS (Si3) camera that i got cheap a few years ago. no manual focus. all these cameras have different ways to focus. some are hard to figure out, others are clumsy or clunky to get to, let alone, to do the focusing. on mine, i hold down a button on the ring/lens area, and lightly press on the shutter button, it makes slight "scratchy" sounds to let you know you released the last focus and are setting to new focus while it adjust the focus in real time. i mainly shoot in "M" mode and 4:3, 1600x1200 pixels onto a 64g card. there is a "hack" website for all these and many more popular cameras that allow you to make adjustments and/or unlock hidden features not normally available for a given camera. ie, in a hack file i have, it allow me to set my Si3 to shoot raw pictures instead of jpeg. i forget the name of that website, though its an pretty old site.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, a hybrid camera (DSLR with better lens selection or prosumer i.e. Panasonic FZ200) with HD video and manual focus/control is the way to go ?
    If this is the direction, there is no point for general consumer to pick a camcorder from Walmart. Is there something consumer camcorder can do but hybrid camera can't ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Camcorders are generally easier to hold and use for shooting. Many DSLRs have a limitation on recording time. DSLRs can have better lenses. You gave to evaluate your situation and determine what works best for you.

I use and like both. For run-n-gun camcorder is preferable, for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How long are you going to be recording for each uninterrupted segment? Is the camera going to be moving around or mounted and locked down? Indoor or Outdoor (batteries vs AC)?

What is your REAL budget for the whole package?

Need more info...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not more than 2 hours indoor, 90% of recording time mounted on tripod stationed in one spot, interrupted segment can be stitched together in editing process.
    I own one Panasonic AG-DVX100B for 4-5 years for 8-10 hours whole day event. It has all manual control but it's not HD. It's painful to spend 1 on 1 transferring hours converting DV tapes video into digital video before editing on Adobe premier.
    I don't record long hours event any more, just looking for a cheap (not more than $600) HD video recorder (camcorder, DSLR, mirorless or prosumer point-and-shoot) that are able to work on manual focus, compatible with Sennheiser SK 100 (with XLR plug-on, connecting to audio console) wireless microphone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm thinking of using a Canon Vixia HF-R500 or similar as a 3rd, lockdown camera for an upcoming event I'm shooting. While being a "consumer" camera, it can do exposure override and manual focus. Add a Beachtek or similar XLR-to-1/8"mini mixer/adapter, and it might cover all your requirements, all still within your budget.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!