VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've encountered a problem recently when playing back (or encoding to mp4) Huffyuv-compressed AVI's, using various media players, VirtualDub and Avanti FFMPEG encoder, both on my Windows XP machine and Windows 8.1 laptop. Here is a screenshot of the playback problem when using MPC-HC:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Huffyuv_MPC-HC.png
Views:	282
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	24575

I was encountering the problem in all media players I tried and in VirtualDub, but then I added the huffyuv DLL to my sysWOW64 directory in Windows 8.1, and now playback is fine in VirtualDub:

Name:	Huffyuv_VirtualDub.png
Views:	210
Size:	862.0 KB
ID:	24574

but playback is still problematic (the same as before) in MPC-HC or when feeding the video to VirtualDub via Avisynth or when encoding using Avanti FFMPEG encoder (I don't know if it works in any other media players/encoders either because I haven't tried it.

The strange thing is, I think Huffyuv playback was working before on both machines until recently, but I may have been using a copy from a different website before. The one I'm using now is from the author's website.
    Quote Quote  
  2. there is few HuffYUV implementations... this codec is not standardized - i would advise to use same implementation on encode and decode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What are the dimensions of your clip ? In vdub , file=>file information , or use mediainfo . Non mod4 dimensions can cause issue like this on playback with certain renderers

What does playback in VLC look like ?

MPCHC uses directshow, VLC uses VFW - these are different systems and use different decoders
    Quote Quote  
  4. To the other poster, I am using the same implementation of Huffyuv for both compression and decompression.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What are the dimensions of your clip ? In vdub , file=>file information , or use mediainfo . Non mod4 dimensions can cause issue like this on playback with certain renderers

What does playback in VLC look like ?

MPCHC uses directshow, VLC uses VFW - these are different systems and use different decoders
    I tried it in VLC and here's how it looked:

Name:	Huffyuv_VLC.png
Views:	164
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	24584

BTW I was using a non-standard resolution of 854 x 480 on the video, but when I changed it to mod4 640 x 360 it worked fine upon playback in MPC-HC at least, and was in color in VLC and not slanted like before, although it still had a similar "overblown" look in VLC like the image above for whatever reason. I'm not planning to worry about that for the time being however because I just need my huffyuv files to work in Avanti FFMPEG encoder in order to convert them to mp4, which I'll test later. Thank you poisondeathray, for the mod4 info.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It looks like some of the huffyuv decoders don't like mod2 frame widths. Stick with mod4. Reencode your mod2 videos as mod4.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just a clarificaton, I wrote "VLC uses VFW" => that's wrong . VLC uses libavcodec , I meant to say that it's vdub that uses VFW system

VLC is based on ffmpeg/libav as well. So if VLC has problems, there is a strong chance ffmpeg/avanti will have problems
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Just a clarificaton, I wrote "VLC uses VFW" => that's wrong . VLC uses libavcodec , I meant to say that it's vdub that uses VFW system

VLC is based on ffmpeg/libav as well. So if VLC has problems, there is a strong chance ffmpeg/avanti will have problems
    Thanks for the info. For some reason it worked fine in Avanti when I encoded a small clip from it.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!