VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'll try to be extremely terse here, because frankly I don't feel confident to pretend to know even anything about this.

So, I want to make a gaming video! Some of you may be familiar with the term "frag-movie". I'll spare the details, but I'm curious what program is recommended for this sort of thing? I'd like to have some features such as:

Being able to overlay pictures on a running video and maybe have them move around. My idea is to have the running video pause and go black and white with my character's portrait appearing in front of it with a banner below it saying my name (recognize this?).

Other fancy effects that are similar to the ones this video: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeqozTgesvk" (not the brilliantly made animations, but just the effects).

I hope I've explained it in a way that is comprehensive. Basically I want your advice on an easy-to-use but still fairly advanced editing program. I've heard After Effects but it seems very confusing and it tends to crash and freeze occasionally, do I simply have to walk the long road and try to work out how to use it?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need to be more specific. Which effects were you referring to specifically ? Can you describe or point to some timeframe ? Most of that video is gameplay footage

It really depends on what you had in mind exactly . Almost any editor can make a video pause and go black and white. But how did you want the "character's portrait to appear" . You need to be more specific. Does it fade in? Does it grow in size from nothing? Does it animate on? Maybe it materializes from particles and dust ? There are 100's of different ways that single thing could be produced. e.g. How did you want the banner to show ? For example if you wanted it to unravel in 3d revealing your name, that takes a different sort of program then a NLE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You need to be more specific. Which effects were you referring to specifically ? Can you describe or point to some timeframe ? Most of that video is gameplay footage. For example from 0:10 to 0:40 there is almost constantly fancy stuff that I can't really explain what it is, like the transitions (I'm only familiar with the good ol' Windows Movie Maker ones) or the snow effect at 0:19.

It really depends on what you had in mind exactly . Almost any editor can make a video pause and go black and white. But how did you want the "character's portrait to appear" . You need to be more specific. Does it fade in? Yes. Does it grow in size from nothing? Does it animate on? Maybe it materializes from particles and dust ? <- Both of these sound absolutely awesome.There are 100's of different ways that single thing could be produced. e.g. How did you want the banner to show ? Same fade in like the portrait. Scroll is probably the word I should've used, scroll in from the left side i.e. For example if you wanted it to unravel in 3d revealing your name, that takes a different sort of program then a NLE
    Thanks for the response! Hope I cleared some things out.

Edit: Found an example! "http://youtu.be/si_qEkOoYok?t=27s" The banner in the bottom left I'd like a bit changed of course and also a picture of the character currently playing introduced in the same manner right above it. Does this make sense?
    Last edited by Thinius; 17th Apr 2014 at 01:57.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The "effects" from 0:10 to 0:40 are mostly transitions and overlays, some blurs - those are simple enough to do in most editors

The "banner" you're referring to is commonly called a "lower third" . It's really an overlay as well. This can be done in any editor

More advanced things like particles require plugins or something like after effects . AE can basically do everything, but it's not as "fast" as an editor as a real editor. A real editor will let you cut and edit your footage much faster (because that's it's job)

And when I refer to "most editors", I'm referring to NLE's like premiere, vegas etc... Even free ones like aviutl can do this, but it's not as user friendly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    The "effects" from 0:10 to 0:40 are mostly transitions and overlays, some blurs - those are simple enough to do in most editors

The "banner" you're referring to is commonly called a "lower third" . It's really an overlay as well. This can be done in any editor

More advanced things like particles require plugins or something like after effects . AE can basically do everything, but it's not as "fast" as an editor as a real editor. A real editor will let you cut and edit your footage much faster (because that's it's job)

And when I refer to "most editors", I'm referring to NLE's like premiere, vegas etc... Even free ones like aviutl can do this, but it's not as user friendly
    Thanks! I'll take a look.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    The "effects" from 0:10 to 0:40 are mostly transitions and overlays, some blurs - those are simple enough to do in most editors

Oh, wow. I love you. It's working great!

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What kind of fade ? Fade to black ? Fade into another clip ? Eitherway - it's just manipulating the opacity parameter (I think it's called "clearness" in aviutl) . It actually has "fade" in the effects list . Have a look at the tutorials for aviutl, basically you want to manipulate the keyframes. There is a aviutl thread, and some of the guys there (like MaverickTse and racer-x) are more familar with the software if you have specific questions
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What kind of fade ? Fade to black ? Fade into another clip ? Eitherway - it's just manipulating the opacity parameter (I think it's called "clearness" in aviutl) . It actually has "fade" in the effects list . Have a look at the tutorials for aviutl, basically you want to manipulate the keyframes. There is a aviutl thread, and some of the guys there (like MaverickTse and racer-x) are more familar with the software if you have specific questions
    Yeah sorry I found it slightly after I posted that!

My only problem right now is that when my video which is roughly 1½ minute long so far has been exported it's 18 gigabytes large. I understand this is because of the quality, so where do I lower it? The video is very choppy!
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's choppy probably because your HDD isn't fast enough and you're using uncompressed video - You need to use video compression

File=>export as AVI , push the video compression button & configure

Or better yet, use the advanced x264 export. File=>export with plugins => adv x264 Export GUI
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hm, I tried what you said (except it was 265, maybe it's been updated) and it gave me an error saying "Export failed".

"auo [error]: Unable to locate muxed file.
    auo [error]: Failed to mux with L-SMASH muxer.
    auo [error]: muxing commandline...
    auo [error]: ".\exe_files\L-SMASH rev785\muxer.exe" -i "C:\Users\Linus\Desktop\1v1 joust recordings vulcan(right perspective)\Xianji movie first.265"?fps=2997/100 -i "C:\Users\Linus\Desktop\1v1 joust recordings vulcan(right perspective)\Xianji movie first.tmp.wav" -o "C:\Users\Linus\Desktop\1v1 joust recordings vulcan(right perspective)\Xianji movie first_muxout.mp4"
    L-SMASH muxer [error]: MP4 muxing mode
    L-SMASH muxer [error]: Track 1: H.265 High Efficiency Video Coding (for testing purposes only)
    L-SMASH muxer [error]: Error: failed to open input file.
    L-SMASH muxer [error]: Error: failed to open input files."

Any ideas?

Edit: I also seem to have lost the window which shows the layers in some horrible way.
    Last edited by Thinius; 18th Apr 2014 at 03:25.
    Quote Quote  
  11. To bring back the advanced editing window (The one that shows layers) , settings=>advanced editing . It's weird because something like that should be placed under the "view" or "display" menu in other programs

I must be using a different older version. You should be able to access the AVI export still (the first suggestion) . Any codec you have installed that shows up in vdub will be available there (and VFW codec) . e.g. if you install x264vfw, or xvidvfw, they will show up
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    To bring back the advanced editing window (The one that shows layers) , settings=>advanced editing . It's weird because something like that should be placed under the "view" or "display" menu in other programs

I must be using a different older version. You should be able to access the AVI export still (the first suggestion) . Any codec you have installed that shows up in vdub will be available there (and VFW codec) . e.g. if you install x264vfw, or xvidvfw, they will show up
    Oh god, you're the best. Solved both my problems. Currently running smoothly editing just the way I want!

If I run into any problem I'll post it here, but you've saved the day!
    Quote Quote  
  13. It's actually a powerful little program. One of the best free ones out there IMO. There are a lot of effects and hidden switches. I'll try to help out, but I only know the basics with this program - but those 2 guys I mentioned earlier are more familiar with the program . They made a bunch of tutorials and demo projects as well you can check out as well too
    Quote Quote  
  14. Somewhat late discovering this thread...

here is a sample project on
    1> achieving image slide-in (two methods)
    2> Snow, and "magical feeling scene" using snow+reverse direction+glow

For the first video where Text seems to be sticking on a truck, that requires motion tracking and perhaps some degree of 3D-reconstruction.(It is possible that the whole scene is a 3DCG. In that case, no "tracking" is needed at all)
    I have written a basic Motion Tracking Plugin for AviUtl, but if you need some sophisticated tracking, consider using the 3DCG soft "Blender" as a free solution (even more difficult to use than AviUtl IMO)

If you want to play with 3DCG with a milder learning curve, consider "MikuMikuDance"

About the encoding, take a look at this post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360967-AviUtl-video-tutorial?p=2313536&viewfull=1#post2313536
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!