VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have a few shows recorded on my DVR and I wanted to extract the subtitles from them.

I assume I will need some TV Tuner card which I can connect to my DVR and then instruct the DVR to playback the shows with closed captioning and then record the captioning to my PC.

But I will need a TV Tuner card which can read the closed captions separately on the video file that I can later extract through CCExtractor.

Any such thing out there?
    Last edited by video2me; 16th Apr 2014 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of Hauppuage cards/devices can do this. The old PVR-250 and 350 could, but you had to use a registry hack to get the closed captions to record. The Colossus and HD-PVR family may be able to do this, but I'm not 100% sure about that. The only problem with your plan is that if you turn on closed captions at the DVR side, the video will play with them embedded into the video stream, not muxed into it as an invisible but present separate stream. I think you'll just have to play the video without them turned on and hope that the capture card is capable of recording them so you can extract them later.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by video2me View Post
    I have a few shows recorded on my DVR and I wanted to extract the subtitles from them.

I assume I will need some TV Tuner card which I can connect to my DVR and then instruct the DVR to playback the shows with closed captioning and then record the captioning to my PC.

But I will need a TV Tuner card which can read the closed captions separately on the video file that I can later extract through CCExtractor.

Assuming you live somewhere in N. America...

All the devices that would permit recording closed captions from your DVR as closed captions are standard definition only. This is because closed captions aren't present in the signals from component video connections (red+green+blue ports) or HDMI. Closed captions are only going to be available via the DVR's Coax/RF TV out (on analog channel 3 or 4), composite (yellow port) or S-Video (mini-din) connections.

Only some TV tuners and capture devices will allow recording closed captions as closed captions. I have been able to capture them using discontinued ATI TV tuner cards (TV Wonder 650 and TV Wonder 600 USB) and Windows Media Center or some other third-party software. Current model Hauppauge TV tuner cards do not permit capturing closed captions with the manufacturer's included software in a way that CCExtractorGUI can use them. If I recall correctly, Windows Media Center can record closed captions from current model Hauppauge TV tuner card using an analog source too, but I cannot test this at the moment to be certain, and I had no luck extracting them with CCExtractorGUI, and no luck capturing them with other third-party software. CCExtractorGUI only seems to work if the closed captions are recorded in the MPEG-2 user data of the recording (ATI TV tuners do this), but not when closed captions are stored as a separate stream within Windows Media Center or .ts files, as appears to be the case with current Hauppauge TV tuner cards.

If you are open to recording the closed captions as open captions (they become part of the picture and can't be turned off) any high definition capture device or standard definition capture device will capture them that way.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Apr 2014 at 14:40. Reason: added clarification
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

All the devices that would permit recording closed captions from your DVR as closed captions are standard definition only. This is because closed captions aren't present in the signals from component video connections (red+green+blue ports) or HDMI. Closed captions are only going to be available via the DVR's Coax/RF TV out (on analog channel 3 or 4), composite (yellow port) or S-Video (mini-din) connections.
    I get closed captions from my dvr through hdmi.Are you saying cc can't be captured that way?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post

I get closed captions from my dvr through hdmi.Are you saying cc can't be captured that way?
    Yes. I'm saying that if you are capturing from HDMI you cannot capture closed captions as closed captions, which can be turned on and off while watching the capture file. They can only be captured as open captions, which are embedded in the video and thus cannot be turned on and off. N. American closed captions are transmitted via line 21 of the VBI in standard NTSC analog signals, which are always standard definition and interlaced. HDMI is digital, and does not include an alternate means of supplying closed captions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The shows that I have recorded are in SD and my DVR is connected through coaxil. It only outputs to TV through the HDMI out.

So I guess I am still in luck if I use this card?

http://www.amazon.ca/Diamond-Wonder-Ntsc-Secam-Tuner/dp/B002UOUQ08/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie...Wonder+600+USB
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The shows that I have recorded are in SD and my DVR is connected through coaxil. It only outputs to TV through the HDMI out.

So I guess I am still in luck if I use this card?

http://www.amazon.ca/Diamond-Wonder-Ntsc-Secam-Tuner/dp/B002UOUQ08/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie...Wonder+600+USB
    Which model DVR do you have? I want to see for myself what outgoing connections it offers before I advise you on what capture devices or TV tuners can work with it.

I haven't tried that particular ATI device, but for what it is worth, one member here who did have one complained that the quality of its video captures is poor due to blended fields and erratic automatic gain control.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have a few shows recorded on my DVR and I wanted to extract the subtitles from them.

Assuming you live somewhere in N. America...

Only some TV tuners and capture devices will allow recording closed captions as closed captions. I have been able to capture them using discontinued ATI TV tuner cards (TV Wonder 650 and TV Wonder 600 USB) and Windows Media Center or some other third-party software. Current model Hauppauge TV tuner cards do not permit capturing closed captions with the manufacturer's included software in a way that CCExtractorGUI can use them. If I recall correctly, Windows Media Center can record closed captions from current model Hauppauge TV tuner card using an analog source too, but I cannot test this at the moment to be certain, and I had no luck extracting them with CCExtractorGUI, and no luck capturing them with other third-party software. CCExtractorGUI only seems to work if the closed captions are recorded in the MPEG-2 user data of the recording (ATI TV tuners do this), but not when closed captions are stored as a separate stream within Windows Media Center or .ts files, as appears to be the case with current Hauppauge TV tuner cards.

If you are open to recording the closed captions as open captions (they become part of the picture and can't be turned off) any high definition capture device or standard definition capture device will capture them that way.

hvr 1600 capture cc apart and you can see them with vlc.

also hvr 2250 capture them but you need use cc extractor for see them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Its CISCO Explorer 8642 hd
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    I also have an hvr 2250. I do not think you understand the question. I know from answering some of your posts that you are using your TV cards with an antenna as the signal source, not a DVR or cable box. CCExtractor works perfectly well for extracting closed captions from DTV captures produced from this card's digital TV tuner, but the digital tuner can't work for capturing the output from a DVR.

I have tried CCExtractor to extract closed captions from analog captures, which is what the OP will be doing to capture the output from a DVR, and it did not work.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Apr 2014 at 19:29.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    double posted by mistake
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post

Yes. I'm saying that if you are capturing from HDMI you cannot capture closed captions as closed captions, which can be turned on and off while watching the capture file. They can only be captured as open captions, which are embedded in the video and thus cannot be turned on and off. N. American closed captions are transmitted via line 21 of the VBI in standard NTSC analog signals, which are always standard definition and interlaced. HDMI is digital, and does not include an alternate means of supplying closed captions.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its CISCO Explorer 8642 hd
    Although it is not a great capture device, the Diamond TV Wonder HD 750 USB has connectivity options that will work with your DVR. The TV Wonder HD 600 USB, which can sometimes be found for sale on ebay, is better and has the same connections. I do not know what else to recommend for capturing closed captions, if you must use a device that is still in production. I wish I could recommend something better that is not discontinued, but it is hard to find out if a capture device or TV card captures closed captions as MPEG-2 user data until you try using it for that.

You need to capture video using MPEG-2 to record closed captions in a form that is usable for CCExtractorGUI.

Your DVR's best connection to use for standard definition capture using a TV Wonder USB device is S-Video, the round black port with multiple pin holes. Its second best option is composite video, the yellow port. In both cases, the audio is captured using the red and white audio ports.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Apr 2014 at 21:21.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks for all the info. As recommended, I've ordered

Diamond TV Wonder HD 750 USB: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002UOUQ08/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and S-Video: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002UOUQ08/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully these two do the trick. Will let you know the results once I receive everything on Monday.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    /ccextractor]CCExtractorGUI[/url], and no luck capturing them with other third-party software. CCExtractorGUI only seems to work if the closed captions are recorded in the MPEG-2 user data of the recording (ATI TV tuners do this), but not when closed captions are stored as a separate stream within Windows Media Center or .ts files, as appears to be the case with current Hauppauge TV tuner cards.
    CCExtractor explicitly supports Hauppauge recordings (some models, at least).

Anyway, rather than chasing hardware that CCExtractor supports sometimes it's easier to send a sample of whatever your hardware can record to the developer (that's me). Some times I can add support. If not, I'll tell you
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not know what else to recommend for capturing closed captions, if you must use a device that is still in production.
    For new recordings from TV, HDHomeRun. They are amazing devices. I own one so it's what I use to test development.

If the source is something else (VHS, DVR, etc) then no idea. I'm sensitive to "save CCs from old recordings" though, so I'll be happy to help people migrating to a digital archive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cfsmp3 View Post
    I do not know what else to recommend for capturing closed captions, if you must use a device that is still in production.
    For new recordings from TV, HDHomeRun. They are amazing devices. I own one so it's what I use to test development.

If the source is something else (VHS, DVR, etc) then no idea. I'm sensitive to "save CCs from old recordings" though, so I'll be happy to help people migrating to a digital archive.
    hi, where can see changelog of ccextractor? i cant see it on website. thanks!

I also have an hvr 2250. I do not think you understand the question. I know from answering some of your posts that you are using your TV cards with an antenna as the signal source, not a DVR or cable box. CCExtractor works perfectly well for extracting closed captions from DTV captures produced from this card's digital TV tuner, but the digital tuner can't work for capturing the output from a DVR.

I have tried CCExtractor to extract closed captions from analog captures, which is what the OP will be doing to capture the output from a DVR, and it did not work.
    which exactly source of dvr is?

i can get closed captions of atsc signals, and composite [yellow], s-video too.
    in my case i have directv, i try with dvr of it and works perfectly.

i can get it with vhs tapes, when cc its available.

i also have colossus hauppage card,and avermedia hd card, you cant get apart closed captions neither component or hdmi, but webpage of hauppague mention, it will be a future development for card.
    Last edited by godai; 19th Apr 2014 at 07:43.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM

which exactly source of dvr is?

i can get closed captions of atsc signals, and composite [yellow], s-video too.
    in my case i have directv, i try with dvr of it and works perfectly.

i can get it with vhs tapes, when cc its available.
    Since you succeeded in using using CCExtractor to extract closed captions from analog recordings created by the HVR-2250 using your satellite DVR composite out as the source, maybe you would care to explain to the rest of us how you did it. Start with the software you used to record, the settings you used, and the type of file you used to store the capture.

I didn't succeed in extracting closed captions from analog recordings made by HVR-2250. Closed captions were present in the source (composite out from my set-to box) , and the .wtv file (they were playable in Windows Media Center), but CCExtractor did not find them in the .wtv file or any other files (.DVR-MS or .ts) that I created from my original recording.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Apr 2014 at 09:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    cc extractor has a option you need mark it.

wintv7 , .ts

advance input options> miscellaneous options> File was captured with a hauppauge card (try extract captions in hauppauge's propietary encoding)

record files display cc in wintv 7 too. only in it

i guess engineers of hauppaugge are lazy or not its very important make work cc of hvr 2250 without use ccextractor like hvr 1600.
    Last edited by godai; 19th Apr 2014 at 10:11.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cc extractor has a option you need mark it.

wintv7 , .ts

advance input options> miscellaneous options> File was captured with a hauppauge card (try extract captions in hauppauge's propietary encoding)

record files display cc in wintv 7 too. only in it

i guess engineers of hauppaugge are lazy or not its very important make work cc of hvr 2250 without use ccextractor like hvr 1600.
    I don't have WinTV 7 to test with. (Yes, I know I can buy it separately from Hauppauge.) My HVR-2250 is the MCE/white box version, which includes no software.

This thread from SHS's website stated that CCExtractor did not work on the HVR-2250's .ts files from WinTv 7.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Apr 2014 at 10:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    but it did. and im arbegas there.

it works.

if you want i send a sample of capture of hvr 2250 composite and you check with cc extractor.

usually with hvr 1600 and using vlc player you can see captions 1 to 4 like atsc capture, but with hvr 2250 analog capture not.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but it did. and im arbegas there.

it works.

if you want i send a sample of capture of hvr 2250 composite and you check with cc extractor.

usually with hvr 1600 and using vlc player you can see captions 1 to 4 like atsc capture, but with hvr 2250 analog capture not.
    You mean it works now. Apparently it didn't always work. In the thread from SHS's forum that I linked to arbegas wrote "i just try cc extractor 0.46 and 0.57 it cant find any subtitles on 1800-2250 streams."

VLC won't display closed captions in MPEG-2 .ts recordings unless they are stored in the MPEG-2 user data. The HVR-2250's hardware MPEG-2 encoder does not capture closed captions as MPEG-2 user data, and maybe that is because the HVR-2250's MPEG-2 encoder chip simply was not designed to do it. The HVR-2250's closed captions are output in a different format (obtained from the driver's VBI pin) which WinTV 7 stores as a separate stream in its .ts files and Windows Media Center stores as separate stream in its .wtv files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    im arbegas and i can prove it.
    i updated that thread just in case if somebody need know about that.

sorry, i miss understand you , what i said there is [me arbegas] , you can see closed captions displayed using wintv 7 when you play recorded file there [also i contacted one engineer of hauppauge in that time, and he confirm that] , in that time cc extractor not have option to extract hauppage cc, but its happening- working since with cc extractor few years ago.

i dont remember time but probably 1 or 2 years.

Hvr 1600 Displayed closed captions in mpeg-2.ts streams, also if you want i can send a sample of that one , and you will see them when ,play with vlc [ i was crazy when i discover that function of hvr 1600, i bought a bunch of hvr 1600]
    Last edited by godai; 19th Apr 2014 at 11:33.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hvr 1600 Displayed closed captions in mpeg-2.ts streams, also if you want i can send a sample of that one , and you will see them when ,play with vlc
    The HVR 1600 probably captures closed caption as MPEG-2 user data (a part of the video stream), and not as a separate stream in the .ts file.

...and while that is nice, we were discussing the HVR-2250 can do, because it is still being made. The HVR-1800 and HVR-1600 are out of production, and the OP is in Canada, which may make them even harder for him to find. At any rate the OP already ordered a capture device, the TV Wonder HD 750 USB.

We don't know the OP's system details or budget. An internal card may not even be an option for him and the HVR-2250 isn't cheap. For all I know he has a laptop and that is why he picked a USB device.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Apr 2014 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    i dont know what you mean with separate stream, but both hvr 1600 and hvr 2250 you can get a .srt file with closed captions, using cc extractor, also you can get captions of other channels of cc [cc3 sometimes you get spanish or english here in united states], just like you get with atsc files.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i dont know what you mean with separate stream, but both hvr 1600 and hvr 2250 you can get a .srt file with closed captions, using cc extractor, also you can get captions of other channels of cc [cc3 sometimes you get spanish or english here in united states], just like you get with atsc files.
    I mean this, as explained in your thread (as arbegas) at SHS's forum

A reply from Hauppauge

I believe we have a filter that extracts them from the VBI pin (just like
    MCE would do), and tacks that data onto the TS stream in a custom PID, and
    it's just recorded with the rest of the stream. On playback that custom
    PID, if present, is rendered by WinTV7 (it's also used for Parental
    controls, etc).

I also believe that starting with driver 1.38.27160 it also embeds the CC
    data (similar to 350 and 1600) on the HVR-1800/1850 devices as well.
    It's been quite some time (about 2 years) since I added that, and have not
    revisited it since then.
    Transport streams contain elementary audio and video streams. Other elementary streams (closed captions, for example) can be added too, with their own PID to identify them. Hauppauge apparently does this for closed captions in WinTV 7 for their TV cards.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I am thinking of investing in a Directv box for the prime purpose of extracting closed captioning. Given that I have ordered the Diamond TV Wonder HD 750 USB with S-Video, I would like to use the same setup. However, I am totally open to any other method as far as I can keep the equipment cost close to $200 - $300, specially if it can make the job easier and bypass some of the steps. Best case scenario will be to not have to playback the whole show to extract the CC.

Which Directv box should I be ordering for the most painless closed caption's ripping? I would like to use the PVR functionality as I can't extract it from live playback due to time constraints.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am thinking of investing in a Directv box for the prime purpose of extracting closed captioning. Given that I have ordered the Diamond TV Wonder HD 750 USB with S-Video, I would like to use the same setup. However, I am totally open to any other method as far as I can keep the equipment cost close to $200 - $300, specially if it can make the job easier and bypass some of the steps. Best case scenario will be to not have to playback the whole show to extract the CC.

Which Directv box should I be ordering for the most painless closed caption's ripping? I would like to use the PVR functionality as I can't extract it from live playback due to time constraints.
    If you record to a cable DVR or satellite DVR then the process for getting closed captions from their stored recordings is the same. You need to play back the recording and capture the programming in question from one of the DVR's analog outputs able to supply analog closed caption data, using your PC and a suitable capture device. That process takes place in real time, which means if this is a one-hour TV show, then capturing the show to get a file on your PC from which you can extract closed captions takes one hour. Once you have the recording, extracting the closed captions as an .srt file using CCExtractor takes only a minute or two.

There is no way to shorten the amount of time the process takes. In the USA and Canada, the files on a cable DVR's hard drive or satellite DVR's hard drive are encrypted, so you can't simply copy the files to your PC and extract closed caption data from them directly.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Apr 2014 at 14:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    closed captions (or, subtitles) on the directv dvr receiver are only available on the following models

H21 and above; HR 21 and above, and R22

i have the R16 model and it doesn't appear to have closed captions. i did look around. perhaps that is why my cc direcshow graphs inside graphedit / graphstudio kept crashing.

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2510/session/
    Last edited by vhelp; 20th Apr 2014 at 15:22.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    closed captions (or, subtitles) on the directv dvr receiver are only available on the following models

H21 and above; HR 21 and above, and R22

i have the R16 model and it doesn't appear to have closed captions. i did look around. perhaps that is why my cc direcshow graphs inside graphedit / graphstudio kept crashing.

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2510/session/
    The HR 21 and above, and R22 are models that are capable of displaying closed captioning themselves instead of depending on the TV to do it. That feature won't necessarily help the OP with what he wants to do. He needs a receiver that outputs line 21 closed caption data via its composite or S-Video connections, which is the same thing that a TV would need to display closed captions on its own.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!