VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First I want to say I know very little about videos and video files, but I'm learning a little bit at a time. I think I have a pretty unusual situation and I have had little luck searching the internet for a solution. Here is my situation, I have DVR players which are used to record time-lapse underwater video of fish passing through a counting station. One DVR player has a 1TB drive the other a 500GB drive. Both players have the same symptoms of not showing the files or crashing when playing them back. I think the motherboard, firmware, or hard drives have gone bad.

I have removed the both drives and one at a time I used Photorec to recover files. One drive is partitioned in Linux formatted index and the other partition holds the raw video files. These are stored, at least as I understand it as raw H.264 files. I have recovered most of the missing data but the files all have weird extensions for video files; e.g., .pst, .ab, .dat. etc... I can rename the files as .h264 or .mkv and play the videos in VLC. However, the files are large up to 300GB. Doe ease of viewing I'd like to splitt the files into files around 8GB in size. I have tried x-video splitter 2, Avidemux2.6, mkvmergeGUI, all without any luck. I was able to get MKVmergeGUI to at least recognize files that I made an extension .MKV; however, none of the split video files were viewable........Any suggestions on how I might be able to split these large raw video files into smaller files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you play them without any problems using vlc?

Post a mediainfo report from one of the files. Open file, view->text.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The videos do not play perfectly, but they are working. I get some full gray screen and then the video will stop playing, if I manually run position node past the bad frames it will continue to play. Here are two of the text files you requested.

General
    Complete name : Z:\TempVid\recup_dir.4\f6839277.h264
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    File size : 21.8 GiB

Video
    Format profile : Baseline@L2.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=30
    Width : 352 pixels
    Height : 240 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 3:2
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive

General
    Complete name : Z:\TempVid\recup_dir.4\b356725842.h264
    File size : 181 GiB

Video
    Format profile : Baseline@L2.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=30
    Width : 352 pixels
    Height : 240 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 3:2
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is an example of one of the errors I get when using MKVmergeGUI.
    Error: 'C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\f440904475.mp4' track 0: mkvmerge encountered broken or unparsable data in this AVC/h.264 video track. Either your file is damaged (which mkvmerge cannot cope with yet) or this is a bug in mkvmerge itself. The error message was:
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds to me like the PhotoRec app did an incorrect job of fixing those files, adding garbage in between valid sectors.

Either you will have to re-attempt the "recovery" using a better app or you will have to fix/clean your existing, corrupt files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!