VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got a DVD of Whats Up Tiger Lily which is in the format shown.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger Lily Screen.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	24492

I've tried to back it up as an avi file, using Freemake Video Converter and played around with the settings, but I always end up with the action surrounded by a black band. Any ideas how I can re code so I get a full screen picture.

Cheers
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
  2. MP4 isn't DVD so this video's history is a bit more complicated than you're letting on. What is your source? How do you intend to view it?

FWIW that film is in TohoScope, so the proper aspect ratio is ~2.35:1. How to manage that depends on your answers to the questions above.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your quick response.

I have the original DVD which plays in the format shown. I want to rip it for two reasons, one to play it over my network at home, and more importantly to get it to fill the screen. As you can see that was an MP4 attempt, but the original looks like that and any other format I've tried to encode it into, looks the same (I've only tried MP4 and AVI Xvid).

I can do a media info scan of DVD VOB when I get home and post the result if that will help.

You are right, the cover says the aspect ratio is 2.35 to 1, but I've just looked on Amazon and the cover of the one I have looks like this, which it says is the VHS version. Have I been ripped off before I can rip the DVD?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whats-Up-Tiger-Lily-VHS/dp/B000056N3C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1...+up+tiger+lily
    Jim
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41M9Z6MW4BL.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	24495  

Quote Quote  
  4. I've had a look at the DVD and cover and they do appear to be genuine.

Here is a screen shot of what media info reports.

Name:	Media Info.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	24510  

Quote Quote  
  5. It's a 4:3 file, meaning the upper and lower black bars are hard coded in. You're adding the side ones with your encoding to 16:9. You want to use a tool that will crop off the top and bottom bars and re-encode to mp4 with square pixels. Try handbrake or MEGui.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    It's a 4:3 file, meaning the upper and lower black bars are hard coded in. You're adding the side ones with your encoding to 16:9. You want to use a tool that will crop off the top and bottom bars and re-encode to mp4 with square pixels. Try handbrake or MEGui.
    The DVD cover says its 2.35:1 but as you've said the info says its 4:3. Its like that even when I play the DVD on my PC, before any attempt to re-encode.

I've got HandBrake and I'll have a look at the links you've included.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jimprong View Post
    Its like that even when I play the DVD on my PC, before any attempt to re-encode.
    You're saying the black bars on the sides were encoded into the DVD, along with the black bars above and below? No, those side bars are added by the player, I would think.

Would you be able to post a picture from a VOB opened in DGIndex? The big bars above and below will still be there, but I don't think you'll see much on the sides.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by jimprong View Post
    Its like that even when I play the DVD on my PC, before any attempt to re-encode.
    You're saying the black bars on the sides were encoded into the DVD, along with the black bars above and below? No, those side bars are added by the player, I would think.

Would you be able to post a picture from a VOB opened in DGIndex? The big bars above and below will still be there, but I don't think you'll see much on the sides.
    When I get home, I'll play it on a DVD player and using the player you have suggested. I'll take photos of both and post.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jimprong View Post
    When I get home, I'll play it on a DVD player and using the player you have suggested.
    DGIndex isn't a player. It'll show you the VOB as stored on the DVD. Because they sometimes add black themselves, the players can be confusing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    DGIndex isn't a player. It'll show you the VOB as stored on the DVD. Because they sometimes add black themselves, the players can be confusing.
    Aye I can see that now. As you can see from the screen grab it looks as I would expect, which is also how it appears on the TV from my hardware DVD player. Its been so long since I played a DVD on a DVD player, I should have checked what it was like on there. I also only used VLC to play it on my PC, and I should really have tried other players also.

I'll try using Handbrake and post here when thats done.

P.S. I've also done a preview using Handbrake and video looks as it should.

Thanks once more

Name:	Tiger Lily DGIndex.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	24535  

Last edited by jimprong; 16th Apr 2014 at 07:24.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Keep in mind that DVDs come in only two display aspect ratios, 4:3 and 16:9. When the content doesn't match the DVD's DAR black bars are added to fill out the frame. In your case you have a ~2.35:1 movie in a 4:3 DAR DVD. Crop the black bars and resize what's left to a 2.35:1 frames size like 704x300. Or crop the black bars and encode without any resizing and set the SAR flag to 12:11.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Keep in mind that DVDs come in only two display aspect ratios, 4:3 and 16:9. When the content doesn't match the DVD's DAR black bars are added to fill out the frame. In your case you have a ~2.35:1 movie in a 4:3 DAR DVD. Crop the black bars and resize what's left to a 2.35:1 frames size like 704x300. Or crop the black bars and encode without any resizing and set the SAR flag to 12:11.
    Thank you very much for all your help. I've done a re-encode using Handbrake and all seems as it should be. I was born before D-Day, and although I think I'm pretty good for my age, I do need a helping hand now and then, and its people like you who get me through any problems I come up against. There is something to be said for keeping on working past retirement age. It keeps the brain reasonably sharp.

Name:	WUTL after Handbrake.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	24539  

Quote Quote  
  13. The other way to approach this is to resize the video before cropping. All you need to know is the display aspect ratio of the DVD, 4:3 or 16:9. Resize to a frame size that matches the display aspect ratio then crop away any black borders. That way you don't even need to know the aspect ratio of the content.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The other way to approach this is to resize the video before cropping. All you need to know is the display aspect ratio of the DVD, 4:3 or 16:9. Resize to a frame size that matches the display aspect ratio then crop away any black borders. That way you don't even need to know the aspect ratio of the content.
    I might give that a whirl next time I have a problem. One thing I've noticed is Handbrake seems to be considerable quicker than Freemake.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!