VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I have a VIDEO_TS folder for a DVD9 title, is there a way to 1) locate the current layer break, and 2) manually change it to the correct location? I used to do this with IFOEdit and GEAR Pro Mastering, but I no longer have GEAR so I need to find another method.. Suggestions? This is the guide I used to follow:
    http://www.gearsoftware.com/howtoguides/dvdvideobreakpoint.php
    Quote Quote  
  2. Imgburn will automatically tell you if there are layer breaks available or not. If not, it will tell you specifically where to insert one in order for the disc to play correctly.

If I make a DVD that's missing a layer break for whatever reason, I open it in VOBBlanker and split the cells where Imgburn advised me too. Then, once you open the files in Imgburn again, it will allow you to choose from a few different layer break points.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm ok, but will imgburn, or that other program allow me to remove a layer break if it's in the wrong position from the authoring program I used?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well the layer break won't really be in a "wrong" position. Imgburn will either list the available layer breaks you can choose from, or it will popup with an error message telling you there are no layer breaks and where to insert one.

This is the error message you'll get if there are no layer breaks available:

http://forum.imgburn.com/uploads/monthly_03_2008/post-20-1205692833.png

If you get that popup, you'll open your dvd in a program like vobblanker and go to the appropriate PGC and cell as shown by the error box and split the cells.

You can then open the dvd back up in imgburn and it will now show you a list of layer break positions to choose from.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So the "layer break" is not an actual bit of code in the IFO file? It's only set at the time the disc is burned? Do I understand that right? It doesn't make a lot of sense because I built my VIDEO_TS folder from an old version of Adobe Encore CS3 and it "sets" the layer break automatically which led me to believe that it hard coded something in the IFO file to indicate a layer break.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's not based on software or ifo setting,it's based on the best spot on the disc where the layer break should be placed.Adobe placed it without asking you which isn't that good of a program to do.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's not set at the time the disc is burned. But imgburn gives you advanced control over how your dvd is burned as opposed to Adobe Encore which simplifies things and does everything for you behind the scenes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sdsumike619 View Post
    So the "layer break" is not an actual bit of code in the IFO file? It's only set at the time the disc is burned? Do I understand that right? It doesn't make a lot of sense because I built my VIDEO_TS folder from an old version of Adobe Encore CS3 and it "sets" the layer break automatically which led me to believe that it hard coded something in the IFO file to indicate a layer break.
    I exclusively use the Adobe Encore CS5 to author DVDs with, resulting in an *.iso file that is burnt by ImgBurn2.5.8.0. Any and all actions I take in Encore concerning layer breaks seems not to have any effect in ImgBurn, which still always opens up the layer break dialog box to suggest possible layer breaks, with color-coded stars that say how accurate that chosen layer break may be. After choosing a particular layer break from (hopefully) a range ImgBurn presents, you are given a chance to preview the video at that point. Within a range of green and blue stars, there should be a break that's least flaky. It also helps to check "seamless".
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the additional input, especially with regards to Encore. I was under the incorrect impression that the layer break was actually written into the file. I think I'll go with imgburn since it's updated regularly and if there was some bug I'm with layer breaks, I'm sure it's addressed by now...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I opened the video ts folder in imgburn, and this is what came up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	layer-break-option.JPG
Views:	1300
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	24497

This is a full DVD with less than 20MB free space, so I guess it makes sense that there's only one option for the layer break?

Another question - Does anyone know of software that allows you to create two DDP DVDs? This is also something that GEAR was able to do. I figure there's got to be other software that can do this??
    Last edited by sdsumike619; 14th Apr 2014 at 19:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a full DVD with less than 20MB free space, so I guess it makes sense that there's only one option for the layer break?
    Be thankful ImgBurn gave you a choice. Take that. After selecting, preview the break, check seamless, burn.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sdsumike619 -- If you're trying to use Imgburn to set a layer break for materials you are sending out to a replicator, you're just spinning your wheels. From your mention of using Gear and requiring DDP DVDs, I gather you are shooting for DVD-9 replications services. Imgburn only sets the layer breaks for discs you are BURNING with Imgburn on your DVD drive -- not for mastering materials that you would send out for replication services.

If you no longer have access to authoring software that properly preps the appropriate masters for replication, you may wish to have the replication service company do the authoring for you. Or else, reevaluate your programming length to see if you really need DVD-9 instead of DVD-5 replicated discs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Imgburn only sets the layer breaks for discs you are BURNING with Imgburn on your DVD drive -- not for mastering materials that you would send out for replication services."

But if the layer break is set for that particular disc and I use that disc to send to the replicator, would not the layer break be the same for every disc that is replicated?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Imgburn only sets the layer breaks for discs you are BURNING with Imgburn on your DVD drive -- not for mastering materials that you would send out for replication services."

But if the layer break is set for that particular disc and I use that disc to send to the replicator, would not the layer break be the same for every disc that is replicated?
    What replicator will accept a master on a DL (dual layer) burned disc? All of them that I am aware of will ask you to submit a separate DVD per layer.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!