VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, I'm trying to rip this old DVD and I don't have a very good ripping program, so I decided to simply copy the VOB files from the DVD, convert them to AVI and append them.

But I can't seem to convert them correctly. MPC says they're 350x240 but GSpot says they're 720x576. Several pieces of software say they're 25fps but they're clearly far smoother so 50fps seems more likely.

No matter what program I use I get a bad result.

On top of that, VirtualDub won't read one of the VOB files (for some reason), and Handbrake won't read directly from the disc..

Bah. What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Never just copy the vob files. Copy the ENTIRE video_ts folder. But if it's a commercial dvd then use a decrypter. It might work with the old dvddecrypter or dvd shrink. Or get a background decrypter like anydvd (free trial).

Then open the video_ts folder in mpc or the converter like handbrake.

If it fails then post the details from the first big vob files. Use mediainfo, open file, view->text.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Track View Post
    But I can't seem to convert them correctly. MPC says they're 350x240 but GSpot says they're 720x576.
    They can't be 350x240 (or even 352x240) for PAL, so they're probably 720x576.
    Several pieces of software say they're 25fps but they're clearly far smoother so 50fps seems more likely.
    50fps for DVD is also impossible. Maybe interlaced 25fps. Would you like to post a sample?

And yes, follow Baldrick's advice and use a decrypter on them to get them to the hard drive. Today seems to be a day for messed up DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Time to remove this spammer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!