VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, for a few days I am trying to Encode Video With Megui & Finally was successful . But the encoding time is too long than it should be . I know encoding time greatly depends on your Processor & RAM . My PC Hardware is * OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate * CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.00 GHz * RAM: 4079 MB Total (1774 MB Free) * VGA: ATI Radeon HD 5450 *Main board:MSI Global 760GM-P34 (FX). Even-though its not the best PC out there I asked someone who uses 4 core AMD processor & 8 GB RAM he said it takes him 20-30min to encode which takes me about 1hr to encode. Is it possible that such a big difference in time happening just because of RAM. Plz help

PS: I couldn't find any suitable Thread for this post so I posted here . Don't know if I broke any rules
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Pleaese give some more information.

1 hour to encode what? What is the running time?
    Encoding settings? HD resoultion/frame size, video codec, 2-pass, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  3. preset slower --tune animation --crf 24.0 --bframes 8 --ref 11 -- Adaptive B-Frames :2 -- Adaptive Quantizers : Mode 2 -- Look Ahead: 60 --M.E Range: 16 -- M.E Algorithm: Multi Hex-- Subpixel Refinement : 9 -- Trellis: 2 .... I think that should be all the Info
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try preset ultrafast and see how much faster it is. Maybe a bit bigger output file size.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In Ultrafast The Video itself took about 15 min. There were two audio in the file each took about 3 min
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bluergost View Post
    I asked someone who uses 4 core AMD processor & 8 GB RAM he said it takes him 20-30min to encode which takes me about 1hr to encode.
    That's the perfect opportunity to use sarcasm.....something like "That's wonderful, you are wonderful, your computer is wonderful and you are my hero."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by bluergost View Post
    I asked someone who uses 4 core AMD processor & 8 GB RAM he said it takes him 20-30min to encode which takes me about 1hr to encode.
    That's the perfect opportunity to use sarcasm.....something like "That's wonderful, you are wonderful, your computer is wonderful and you are my hero."
    That was a sarcasm !!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. There is a 100 fold difference in encoding speed between x264's fastest and slowest settings. The properites of the video have an effect too. Bigger frame sizes, higher frame rates, more image complexity, all increase encoding time. Decoding of the source can sometimes be a limiting factor. Filtering can slow down the conversion.

So unless your friend is using the exact same source video and the exact same settings your comparison isn't indicative of a problem.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!