VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I'm glad I found this forum!

I'm having issues with Virtual dub and and MKV files. At first I thought it was H264, but then I noticed I had an avi clip encoded in H264 and vDub had no problem opening it. So I'm left with thinking it is messing up trying to open mkv files. It's able to load mp4 files perfectly fine however.

But, when I load a 264 file, it comes out blank, as in pure black.

I have the latest version of vDub, along with the plugin pack that's been floating around on the internet. I also have a mastrota plugin from a few versions down, and a few other random ones. So far,
    here's the plugins I have:

1. AC3.vdplugin
    2. DShowInputDriver.vdplugin
    3. FLIC.vdplugin
    4. FLV.vdplugin
    5. FLVInputDriver.vdplugin
    6. Matroska.vdplugin
    7. MPEG2.vdplugin
    8. QuickTime.vdplugin
    9. WMV.vdplugin

I've installed and reinstalled ffdshow like 3 times, and vDub can never pick up the decoder for it, even though i explicitly tell it to select virtual dub in the options. I've taken out plugins to ensure nothing is causing conflicts, but nothing works. I've tried telling vDub to let me decide the encoder when I load a h264 file, but it only gives me the option of using internal decoders for motion Jpeg and DV (wouldn't this mean it isn't detecting ffdshow in the first place?) Anyway, I'm at my whit's end. I use this program all the time! If anyone could give me some advice I'd be SO appreciative.

If anyone can help, it would help me a whole ton. Thanks so much for any help!

Michelle
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have no trouble importing mkv into Virtualdub. I have the ffinputdriver installed and that's what Virtualdub uses in my case.

http://code.google.com/p/ffinputdriver/
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Several things make VirtualDub a little resistant to importing certain formats. First make sure you are setting the FFDshow VFW codecs not the decoder codecs, Its the icon with the Olive drab color. You can also set them both to be sure.

As far as selecting the encoder within FFDshow, the FFDSHOW encoders were removed long ago in later versions. These are only used if you are going to select ffdshow as your compression choice I believe. You can download the older versions with the codecs from https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow/old-versions (ffdshow_rev3507_20100707_clsid) but that shouldn't be the problem anyway for decoding and viewing.

Sometimes Virtualdub SEEMS to load a black or a green screen when you first load a video but plays and edits fine anyway so make sure that isn't the case. Also, go to file Information and see what Virtualdub thinks the video is and what it is using to decode.

You might also add the FFInputdriver.vdplugin plugin, which racer-x suggested which uses ffmpeg and works very well.. Usually, if VirtualDub does not load a video, selecting FFMpeg input or DirectShow input from the drop down 'Files of type" when you select 'Open video file ' from the file menu will allow the video to load..

Lastly,, when you have everything set how you think is correct, you might try rebooting. I know you shouldn't have to but I have had cases where that fixes the codec problems with VirtualDub once you get it set correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was going to mention the VFW configuration but Bud beat me to it.

Also, I was reading in the Virtualdub forum and it seems you have to use at least version 1.10.0 (which anyone using Virtualdub should be doing anyway) with the new input drivers. Matter of fact, this thread is sounding exactly like the thread on the Virtualdub forum...

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=22267&
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use VD 1.10.4 AMD64 version and no problem opening MKVs. I do have ffdshowX64 installed, along with Haali Media splitter.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks so much for all the help! I'm using Virtual Dub V 1.10.4. I usually just install the Combined Community Codec, and I'm trying to remember if ffdshow came with that.. or if I downloaded it separately when I realized virtual dub was having problems...

I looked at the info, and the vdub is saying the decompressor for the mkv is ffdshow Video Codec (AVC1)...

Do you think I should uninstall ffdshow? I have Hali Media Splitter as well, it came with the Combined Community Codec pack. Matroska is selected in the file extensions under my options for the combined community codec. This might sound stupid... but is there a way I can tell virtual dub what decompressor to use? Is that an option I would set in the combined community codec pack... or somewhere else?

Sorry... I've never had this problem come up. I've also run across the blank/green screen before... I tried saving the file as an avi to see if it recorded anything... but it was just a black screen with sound.

Also,do you guys use a codec manager? Just curious.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

edit: I wanted to say that the avi file also lists the video decompressor as ffdshow Video Codec (AVC1), just like the mkv file... so for some reason virtual dub opens mkv files as black screens...
    Last edited by CherryBelle; 13th Apr 2014 at 14:47.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You still need the mkv input plugin to open mkv files with the help of ffdshow VFW set to open H264 with libavcodec (unless you are using the directshow input plugin or ffmpeg input driver) .

Here is the updated link to all of fcchandlers plugins. I would install them all. Some have both 32bit and 64bit installers...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fcchandler/files/?source=navbar

...and of course, the newest version of Virtualdub 1.10.4 (or 1.10.5-test4).

EDIT: Sorry. I thought I posted the link....
    Last edited by DarrellS; 15th Apr 2014 at 04:01.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks! I have the mkv plugin installed, so it can open it. I managed to fix it somehow by uninstalling all my codec packs, and installing the shark advanced codec pack. Now it loads and works perfectly! Thanks everyone!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Or you could use an avisynth script.
    Those plugins are good hacks at best and give lots of errors.
    Something like:

LoadPlugin("...\ffms2.dll")
    vid=FFVideoSource("sample.mkv")
    aud=FFAudioSource("sample.mkv")
    audiodub(vid,aud)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anytime you use Avisynth or the directshow input driver instead of using the intended codec and the correct input plugins that you call junk (I wish fcchandler was here to defend his plugins but I fear that he may not be with us any longer) then you have to re-encode the whole video instead of using smart render or direct stream copy. I just used the overlay filter in blend mode with the curve editor to change a small segment of an mp4 video and saved the file with the x264vfw encoder in smart render mode to create a x264.avi which I then used ffmpeg to copy into an mp4 container. This all took a couple minutes where it would've taken at least a half hour to re-encode the whole video if I had used Avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I second what DarrellS said above There doesn't exist a more-secure way to wrap VC-1 in AVI than using the WMV and MKV input plugins
    Quote Quote  
  12. Smart rendering AVC in vdub still doesn't work properly. Often there are glitches, green frames, frames out of order at the affected frames, especially at the ends (real bitstream problems, not AVI container issues) . But it does work fine for MPEG4-ASP
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    Anytime you use Avisynth or the directshow input driver instead of using the intended codec and the correct input plugins that you call junk (I wish fcchandler was here to defend his plugins but I fear that he may not be with us any longer) then you have to re-encode the whole video instead of using smart render or direct stream copy. I just used the overlay filter in blend mode with the curve editor to change a small segment of an mp4 video and saved the file with the x264vfw encoder in smart render mode to create a x264.avi which I then used ffmpeg to copy into an mp4 container. This all took a couple minutes where it would've taken at least a half hour to re-encode the whole video if I had used Avisynth.
    I'm not saying his plugins are junk, they are in fact quite useful.
    Just buggy in the ways poisondeatharray pointed out above.
    Green screen, crashes, frame inaccuracy etc. make me rather avisynth.
    Anyway the op solved her/his issue so that's the important thing.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!