VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a name for this particular type of noise?

Does anyone know if there is a specific cause?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you talking about the diamond shaped pattern or the vignetting? You should post the full frame with no resizing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's hard to tell with that small pic - as Jagabo says, a full frame would help. A small clip would be even better.

It looks like a form of herringbone, but it's way too blurry to tell what caused it for sure whether it's composite crosstalk, tbc's signal thrown off, cable/electrical interference, or any number of other things.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Cause of Noise
    Too many beans & beers ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by magikarp99 View Post
    Is there a name for this particular type of noise?
    Pattern?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Are you talking about the diamond shaped pattern or the vignetting? You should post the full frame with no resizing.
    The diamond pattern. The frame has been cropped, not resized. I will try and find a larger frame to demonstrate the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You need to provide some background information too. What is the source? Did you capture this from a VHS tape? Is it an off-the-air recording? Cable broadcast? DVD? Since you're in the UK it must be PAL. If this is your own video capture -- what type of cable did you use? Composite? S-video? SCART? Was that part of the picture moving or standing still? Does the pattern change from frame to frame? Does the pattern repeat every 4 frames?
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Apr 2014 at 08:31.
    Quote Quote  
  8. read here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl

edit:
    Actually it looks more like herringbones (thanks PuzZLeR)

to get rid of it use f1quiver (you'd have to tweak it a bit):
    F1Quiver(last, "gn", 336, 10, test=false)

http://www.avisynth.nl/users/vcmohan/FFTQuiver/F1Quiver.htm
    Last edited by themaster1; 12th Apr 2014 at 12:44.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The tapes I am looking at are PAL. They are not recorded by me. One is a mass-produced tape, and others from from post-production studios.

The deck I am using is a JVC BR-S525E with TBC cards installed. I am using Y/C video output, but the noise is also present on the component output.

I think that the noise may be recorded onto the tapes themselves as I don't think that all my tapes are affected. At the very least, some tapes are affected much worse than others.

The pattern moves from frame to frame.

It does look like it might be the herringbone noise that was mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Does it show up on grey parts of the picture? If not it's probably dot crawl artifacts -- the result of incomplete removal of the chroma from the luma signal when separating composite video. It's much blurrier than the usual PAL dot crawl pattern so it must be on the tape. Ie, a composite signal was recorded onto the tape (where it is separated into separate chroma and luma signals) then played back as s-video. PAL dot crawl has a pattern that repeats every 4 frames. So if you use SelectEvery(4) in AviSynth you should see a pattern that doesn't change in otherwise static parts of the picture. Though with VHS there's always some time base jitter so it won't be perfectly still.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So here are two video clips that demonstrates the noise well. I've cropped one of them down to reduce file size.

Using SelectEvery(4) does not freeze the pattern.

Greyscale clips within the tapes do not exhibit this noise.

noise.avi
    noise2.avi
    Last edited by magikarp99; 13th Apr 2014 at 07:09.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!