VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The files seem to be all around the same resolution but slightly off. For example, Dark City is 1920 x 814

I want my rips to be exactly like the original in terms of resolution / aspect ratio. Is it that the original movie may be not exactly 1920 x 1080p?

I'm currently using Anamorphic / strict - not sure if it should be none for a straight rip?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Disable cropping.

Most theatrical movies are not 16:9 (1.78:1) , but have a wider AR like 2.35:1 . So they have letterboxing (black bars on the top and bottom) because BD specs only support 1920x1080 at 1920 width (not some cropped height resolution).

Many people choose to crop the black bars when making their backups, but you will still see black bars on a 16:9 display (the display will put them back on)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    The files seem to be all around the same resolution but slightly off. For example, Dark City is 1920 x 814

I want my rips to be exactly like the original in terms of resolution / aspect ratio. Is it that the original movie may be not exactly 1920 x 1080p?

I'm currently using Anamorphic / strict - not sure if it should be none for a straight rip?
    In general, I just ignore the second number and know that 1920=1080p/i and 1280=720p

It's confusing for someone new. I don't know why they named it the way they did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by AndyD View Post

Your rips are exactly like the original in terms of resolution / aspect ratio, at least the part which consists of the actual picture. Handbrake's cropping has removed the black bars, but even if you disabled cropping and encoded the black bars too (so you're encoding 1920x1080) the actual picture within is still being encoded the same way.
    If you're not resizing the picture then anamorphic none and anamorphic strict should give you the same result. Anamorphic none resizes the video to square pixel dimensions but Bluray uses square pixels anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm ok with black bars. I expect them. I had some cases ( Game of Thrones Season 3 ) where I got videos in...

1864 * 1080

That lead to black bars on the side. If it's due to cropping, how do I disable it? I don't see a way of disabling cropping. I just see automatic ( what I have it on ) and custom.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    If it's due to cropping, how do I disable it? I don't see a way of disabling cropping. I just see automatic ( what I have it on ) and custom.
    Set cropping to Custom. Set the four cropping values to zero.

But either way, you will see the same thing on the screen when you play the video on a 16:9 screen. If you disable cropping the black bars are part of the picture 16:9 picture. If you crop the player will add black bars to fill the 16:9 screen. You will see differences when playing in a window. The cropped video will not include black bars, the un-cropped video will.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I'm ok with black bars. I expect them. I had some cases ( Game of Thrones Season 3 ) where I got videos in...

1864 * 1080

That lead to black bars on the side. If it's due to cropping, how do I disable it? I don't see a way of disabling cropping. I just see automatic ( what I have it on ) and custom.
    I'd remove the black bars when encoding. With the black bars included, the total aspect ratio (picture plus black bars) is always 16:9 yet the picture area is (in your case) around 2.35:1. What happens if in a few years time, wider aspect ratio TVs are the latest craze? Will you be happy when you're watching a 2.35:1 video with black bars top and bottom because you didn't remove them, and as a result you also have black bars down each side?
    If you encode the black bars you're stuck with them. If you remove them and encode just the picture, the player adds black bars as necessary according to the screen aspect ratio. So it's "stuck with a 16:9 frame" v "encode just the picture". Doesn't seem like a competition to me.

I don't know what happened with your Game of Thrones encodes. Handbrake normally only crops black bars when encoding, so the cropping shouldn't have lead to black bars on the sides. Auto-cropping isn't perfect though. Handbrake may have cropped more than it should have, but given you started this thread with virtually no understanding of cropping and the effect on aspect ratios, you might want to post a couple of "before" and "after" screenshots before assuming your conclusion is the correct one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    the picture area is (in your case) around 2.35:1. What happens if in a few years time, wider aspect ratio TVs are the latest craze? Will you be happy when you're watching a 2.35:1 video with black bars top and bottom because you didn't remove them, and as a result you also have black bars down each side?
    Yes. That's why I always crop the black bars.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so it sounds like I should let the automatic work.

I just re ripped Skyfall and got 1916x800 (2.40-1)

That's ok?

Also, my old rip had CABAC 4 Frames and new is CABAC 5 Frames. The new file size is 3gb lower too even though both have Master Audio. Could the cropping be the reason? Is 4 frames better than 5?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by AndyD View Post

Also, my old rip had CABAC 4 Frames and new is CABAC 5 Frames. The new file size is 3gb lower too even though both have Master Audio. Could the cropping be the reason? Is 4 frames better than 5?

Cropping won't be a big reason. It might only result in a few % difference . The reason is pure black bars don't consume much bitrate if they are clean (if they contain "noise", it's a different story)

5 Ref frames provides slightly more potential for higher compression than 4 Ref frames . If you used "quality " rate control (CRF) , it's not going to make a huge difference either

You can check with mediainfo(view=>text) on what settings were used on each video. If I had to guess you used a different rate factor
    Quote Quote  
  11. 5 reference frames might be a problem for some Blu-ray players (that play media files). The number of reference frames you can use at profile High@4.1 depends on the frame size. For a 1920x1080 frame it's 4. But with the smaller frame you're using it's 5. But some Blu-ray players will use a 1920x1080 frame internally while decoding and won't have enough memory for 5 reference frames.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks guys. I'm not too concerned about playback since I use an HTPC

It won't make a difference quality wise if there is more compression allowed?

CRF is set to 18 as I remember reading that any lower wouldn't make a big difference and someone else recommended the setting as well
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!