VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have downloaded a lot (about 40) of short flv clips. Some as short as 2seconds. They're science animation clips and microscopy clips.

Many are very short but some are quite long. The longest goes for 23 minutes. It has a sound track, too. And was recorded too bright. It could use some editing to darken it a little.

Also have a few .webm and .mp4 amongst the collection.

As you can imagine it's very tedious and distracting starting each clip so I'd like to join them together at least. Make a movie out of them. Maybe even a DVD.

There's no audio on many of them and no subtitles and no title page - so I'd need to add something, text or talk, probable best if both, to explain what we're currently looking at.

Could I solicit some advice as to what software I should use and what procedures, what I should best aim to do with them?

A bit of googling has wasted most of the evening already with dead ends and scams. But I learned that many folks denigrate .flv. Well, too bad, that's all I have. I didn't choose it. That's what I got. And happy to get it really.

p.s. perhaps should mention that while I want to look at the finished product the real purpose of tidying it all up and making a 'good' presentation is so's my children can see it.
    Last edited by abrogard; 9th Apr 2014 at 07:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IMO you wouldn't make it past joining a couple of clips without running into at least audio sync issues. 95% of .flv files are absolute CRAP.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can't join clips that are mismatched as far as framerate, raster size, codec , audio tracks. You can convert them to DVD format (mpeg2, AC3 audio) and author them in something like avs2dvd. Depending on the exact nature of the flv, they may or may not import correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A large number will be identical for they're from the same source. But there are a number of sources so not all will be identical.

I would like to get them all together in one place, either a playable file or prog on the pc or a dvd.

So it begins to look like I should convert the format first?

I have Super v2012 which I've only ever used for very simple tasks but I know it can do a lot. Will it convert framerates, raster size, whatever?

The DVD format is just that, is it? mpeg2, AC3 audio?

I'll attempt to run a few of them through Super and see how I go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    SUPER as always been a last-resort tool, and it has recently become a trojan, virus infested last-resort tool. If this v2012 you mention is a newer version, I'd strongly suggest running some antivirus and anti malware software.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    'Last resort' ? Well, what's the 'first resort', that's what I'd be asking?

v2012 is version 2012 I think - i.e. the version produced in 2012. They seem to be at v2014 now.

I scanned with Avira and it could find nothing wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you want to play them end to end, why not just create a playlist in a player like MPC-HC, VLC or even iTunes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Joining them all together means they have to be all the same, as mentioned earlier. That would be one program to do that. Then you mentioned adding text so that would be subtitles and that would probably be another program because you have to edit and time them to the video as well as embed them,.
    Then to add audio, as you mentioned, would be another whole audio dub/record thing.

FFMpeg would probably work for all these utilizing AVISynth as well as it's own filters but just the prep work, like making the text for subtitles would not be a quick job.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!