VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new here, but I did some video editing years ago, and now I'm trying to get back up to speed, with various new tools.
    I'm making a home video, and I'd like to insert a short clip from a DVD, to add some humor. Nothing long or substantial; think Clark Gable saying, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
    I extracted an M2V and AC files from the disc, and I used Bandicut to isolate the few seconds I want. The filename (generated by Bandicut) says it is an avi file, but GSpot says it is "FFmpeg MPEG 1/2". Now I'm trying to get it into Premier Elements 11.

There are a lot of codec packs that have lots of dll files. If I copy a well-chosen dll file into some file folder, in my PrE program folder, will that solve my problem? If so, which dll file, and which PE folder?

If not, is there any other good answer?

I don't want to have to convert my avi/mpeg file into something else; I would simply like to be able to add it to my list of video assets, in a project.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    An avi file with mpeg2? It's possible but most editors may have problem with it.

Post the details from from mediainfo. Open file, view->text and copy everything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why not just rip the disk and use the vobs as your source? Fewer steps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Smrpix - Hey, I didn't know Premier 11 would work with VOB or M2V files. Many thanks for that info!
    Still, the underlying logic is, I'd rather let Premier handle smaller chunks (such as 100 Mb or less)
    rather than forcing it to have 20 different files lined up and ready, with each one nearly a full gigabyte.
    Baldrick -
    Here's what I got. It's just a standard store-bought DVD (but fairly old, in 4:3 format).
    Ripped to M2v with DVD Decrypter,
    Extracted -- lossless, I hope -- to avi, using Bandicut's "fast, no recoding" mode.

General
    Complete name M:\DECRYPTED-1\test1.avi
    Format AVI
    Format/Info Audio Video Interleave
    File size 214 MiB
    Duration 6mn 29s
    Overall bit rate mode Variable
    Overall bit rate 4 600 Kbps
    Writing application Bandicut 1.0 (Lavf54.29.104)

Video
    ID 0
    Format MPEG Video
    Format version Version 2
    Format profile Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP Yes
    Format settings, Matrix Custom
    Format settings, GOP M=3, N=15
    Codec ID mpg2
    Codec ID/Info (MPEG-1/2) FFmpeg
    Codec ID/Hint Ffmpeg
    Duration 6mn 29s
    Bit rate mode Variable
    Bit rate 4 588 Kbps
    Width 720 pixels
    Height 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio 3:2
    Original display aspect ratio 4:3
    Frame rate 59.940 fps
    Original frame rate 29.970 fps
    Standard NTSC
    Color space YUV
    Chroma subsampling 4:2:0
    Bit depth 8 bits
    Compression mode Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) 0.221
    Stream size 213 MiB (100%)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try remux that avi to mpg with avidemux. Open avi. Under video and audio choose copy. Save as a new mpg(mpeg2 ps). Or maybe nothing will open it...

Or use dvdshrink in the reauthoring mode cut out the clips you want from a dvd. Save/Export. Import the vob in Premiere Elements.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey, that DVD-Shrink approach is perfect. BIG THANKS!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!