VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would you guys mind just checking me on this?

I want to back up my purchased blu-ray to a 25GB blu-ray blank. So I simply:

1. Used MakeMKV to rip/decrypt
    2. Used BD Rebuilder to shrink what MakeMKV created to fit the 25GB blu-ray blank
    3. Used ImgBurn to burn the resulting BDMV and Certificate files that BD Rebuilder created to the 25 GB blu-ray blank

Am I missing something? Seems too easy, except that it took some 16+ hours for BD Rebuilder to do its thing at the "high" quality setting.

Any input most appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I guess you used MakeMKV to output full disc to BD folder/files rather than MKV? Does the disc you made play alright on your standalone player?

For BD25, why not use "High Speed Option (BD25)"? It'll be a helluva lot faster and I doubt you'll be able to detect the quality difference. BD25 is ample space, after all. No, let me re-phrase that: You *won't* be able to tell the difference in normal viewing.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do what fritzi93 suggested and use the fastest encoding speed,your cpu is very slow for this type of work compared to the average cpu which is like mine(a 2600k).
    Last edited by johns0; 8th Apr 2014 at 23:12.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    > I guess you used MakeMKV to output full disc to BD folder/files rather than MKV? Does the disc you made play alright on your standalone player?

I guess I did output to BD folder/files because in the stream, the files are m2ts files, but I don't recall making that decision. But that part of the procedure went very fast, and it sure worked. I've copied 2 blu-rays using that procedure and they both play perfectly in my standalone player, which is a Sony-Google TV gizmo, Model# NSZ-GT1, which I love by the way because it's got a qwerty remote. Anyway, one of the 2 blu-rays that I copied was Wolverine 3D, and I didn't get the 3D effect, but what the hey.

I am trying the "High Speed Option (BD25)" right now on a new back up, thanks to your encouragement. I can already see that it'll be much faster, and if there is no appreciable degradation, then this way of backing up is excellent.

Thanks for your comment. -Lloyd
    Quote Quote  
  5. What you got from your 3D disc was 2D (the left view). The 2D version is always present on an MVC 3D disc. I don't use MakeMKV normally, but it works the same way as Clown_BD for 3D discs, evidently, i.e. it only recognizes and extracts the 2D version.

The one reliable way to back up a 3D disc is to rip whole disc to ISO image and burn to a dual-layer BD50. AFAIK nothing can produce a playable 3D encode, except for half-resolution side-by side or top/bottom. DVDFab claimed it could do it a few versions back, but I tested 2 discs and neither encode worked properly.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks fritz93 and johns0. Just got a spectacular blu-ray copy of Super 8 at the "High Speed Option (BD25)." fritzi93, dude, that was the suggestion of the month! Can you tell I'm psyched?

I really had my eyes opened here. Took reading quite a few posts, but finally got there, at least for the most part. Gotta admit to falling for DVDFab, which I still use for simple DVD's just because it's so easy and so quick. And then I fell for Blue-Cloner, which is definitely NOT ready for prime time. All I get from that is the word "FAILED." Maybe one day.

But these 3 free programs give just as good quality, probably better, and are actually faster. What a discovery!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Good going.

To elaborate a little on encoder settings in BDRB: "High" quality just means slow speed preset. It takes more time and CPU cycles than High Speed (fast) setting, for the purpose of analyzing the stream and allocating bits most efficiently.

At relatively high bitrates, this is not very important, as there's plenty to go around. If you were trying to squeeze a Blu-Ray onto, say, BD5 (single-layer DVD), there's scant bitrate available, and you'd want to allocate bits as efficiently as possible. If you were to insist on doing a BD5, you'd be best advised to use the slowest preset you can stand.

I use a slower preset now simply because I have a fairly powerful computer and am not in a hurry. (High Speed Option takes ~ 45 minutes, start to finish, including analysis and rebuild). I probably don't buy more than one new Blu-Ray a week, on average. Though I still have a fair number of backups made a few years ago using high speed option, it would be silly for me to re-do them.

Hope that helps a little. Your high speed BD25 encodes are fine.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again fritzi93. It really helps to get a bit of a grip on things by having some insight as to what is going on. I appreciate your shared understanding.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    fritzi93
    LloydS

Check BD_RB's latest version. I think it does MVC 3D encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll give it a whirl gonca. Thanks for the heads up. That was gonna be my next quest....3D back ups onto BD25's.

We are so fortunate to have the good folks here, MakeMKV, Slysoft, Doom9, BD Rebuilder and several others who never stop their quest to make it possible for us to simply back up what we have purchased. Many thanks to all!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LloydS View Post
    I'll give it a whirl gonca. Thanks for the heads up. That was gonna be my next quest....3D back ups onto BD25's.
    !
    We're not really sure how good backing up 3D and shrinking it is right now. There are tools that claim to do it, but the quality must suffer some. Whether it's enough to be an issue for you or not is a question only you can answer.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gotcha jman98. I was just hoping the new BD-RB, ver 0.47.04, might have come up with a good solution with their latest beta.

Actually some weeks back, I got a 3D back up of "The Great Gatsby" using DVDFab, the only 3D back up that has been "successful" for me. But in retrospect, the 3D doesn't seem as "correct" (if that's the right word) as it should be.

Plus, I've switched from DVDFab to my new "MakeMKV/BD-RB/ImgBurn" procedure in reproducing my back ups that has worked just perfectly so far. I'm so pleased with that procedure that I just had to contribute.

But back ups of 3D still may be an elusive objective, eh? Well, I'll keep on the lookout for a solution, and I'm guessing it'll be mentioned here on VideoHelp.

(I did just search on the topic and found your post concerning Disney 3D's)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    BD_RB doesn't use SSIF pointers. It uses in-mux MVC, apparently more efficient on the size / bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    BD_RB doesn't use SSIF pointers. It uses in-mux MVC, apparently more efficient on the size / bitrate.
    So gonca, does that mean that BD_RB might actually do a good job with 3D files? Or are you telling us that since the compression is different, that it will not do a good job? Or perhaps your point sailed over my head?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    It should do a good job since it can use the space more efficiently. However, consider using a BD-RE for testing
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    It should do a good job since it can use the space more efficiently. However, consider using a BD-RE for testing
    Gotcha. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!