VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have been using programs like autoGK, mkvmerge, handbrake, makemkv, etc for awhile now and they have all been the 32 bit versions. I have recently noticed that most, if not all of the apps are now available in 64 bit versions. Is there any real speed advantage to using the 64 bit versions. I dont consider a 10 - 20% increase an advantage, but 50% would be awesome. Can the 64 bit versions reside on my computer along with their 32 bit cousins without any conflicts?

I use a Intel core i5 with Windows 7 64bit laptop.

Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by mpholic View Post
    Is there any real speed advantage to using the 64 bit versions.
    No. The only real advantage of 64 bit code is the ability to use more memory (more than 2-3 GB). None of those apps needs that much memory.

One place where I do see 64 bit code running (as opposed to crashing) is when using AviSynth on high definition video and using memory hungry filters like McTemporalDenoise, QTGMC, etc. -- especially when using more than one of them along with an h.264 encoder (which can also use a fair amount of memory.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just an addition to above reply, there is just a marginal gain in encoding speed, just marginal not big difference between x86 32bit and x86_64 64bit compiles. Where as x86 32 bit compile can run on both machines 32bit CPUs and 64 bit CPUs. Where as x86_64 64 bit compiles need 64bit CPUs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Every CPU made in last 8-9 years supports 64-bit instructions. Aside from ability to use more then 2GB memory per process, some of 64-bit applications run faster then 32-bit versions.
    If 64-bit version runs without problems there is not really any reason not to use it.
    x264-64bit CLI should be 10-15% faster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    Every CPU made in last 8-9 years supports 64-bit instructions. ...r.
    True, but you also need a 64-bit OS to be able to run those 64-bit programs.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!