VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    could some one please guide me through on how to convert my avi movies to get 5.1 sound, i'm not a pro so would appreciate your help
    thank you kindly
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If your "avi's" only have 2.0 or stereo audio you will never convert to a true 5.1 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Load the avi into audacity and export as ac3,make sure you have Ffmpeg For Audacity installed and in the edit/preferences/import/export have custom mix checked and when you click on export there'a an option box where you can set the bitrate,after you do that in the next setup use the slider to 6 channels and click the channel boxes you want to map to the extra channels.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah but that's not going to make true 5.1 audio, that will just be the same audio in all channels, there will be no true separation as in true 5.1.
    Or at best a "sudo" or fake 5.1 and I have never heard a truely good 5.1 audio made from a 2.0 source.

I remember that audio filter or plugin, can't recall the name right now, even though it made a good sudo 5.1 it was not that great.
    Have tried this 1000 times if once with every filter and software out there, nothing is going to give you a true 5.1 audio track like an original 5.1 audio track
    that is mixed from the original multiple audio recordings like an official or "real" 5.1 audio track on a store bought dvd/bluray, PERIOD!!
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 7th Apr 2014 at 22:00.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ya i know,the op wanted 5.1,i tried doing this way before but you have to fine tune the audio in each channel cause it will sound wonky with too much bass or too much center or not enough,too much work for me,keeping it stereo is much easier and it will sound fine going out 6 speakers for what is.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Noahtuck - Dude, come on. That's "pseudo" and not "sudo". "sudo" is a program to give elevated permissions under Linux and Unix. "psuedo" means almost, approaching, trying to be, not real, and so on. You're smart enough to know how to spell "pseudo".

I don't object to the OP being told that 2.0 can't be magically converted to 5.1, but let's be brutally honest here. The people that ask this kind of thing don't care about the reality of the situation. Just getting them going with some kind of fakey 5.1 that doesn't have any channel separation beyond the original source will probably meet their needs just fine and they'll go away happy, mistakenly believing that they have "improved" their audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Noahtuck - Dude, come on. That's "pseudo" and not "sudo". "sudo" is a program to give elevated permissions under Linux and Unix. "psuedo" means almost, approaching, trying to be, not real, and so on. You're smart enough to know how to spell "pseudo".
    LOL!!!

Give me a break!!!
    I am like 99% into a pint of straight bourbon!!!
    (that avatar is not there just because it looks pretty)
    LOL!!!
    I knew it looked wrong but at that/this moment I did not care as I was just trying to get my point across
    On top of doing 20 other things at the moment

I have the filter or plugin on my PC but I can not remember the name even though I have seen it, read it, wrote it, at least a thousand times over the years!!

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I don't object to the OP being told that 2.0 can't be magically converted to 5.1, but let's be brutally honest here. The people that ask this kind of thing don't care about the reality of the situation. Just getting them going with some kind of fakey 5.1 that doesn't have any channel separation beyond the original source will probably meet their needs just fine and they'll go away happy, mistakenly believing that they have "improved" their audio.
    Yep!!

HEY!!!
    I am now getting sound out of all of my 6 speakers!!!!!!
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I truly don't even understand the point in this kind of request. With my not-so-new Yamaha surround receiver, if I have a 2.0 signal and want to hear it in semi-decent 5.1 surround, all I have to do is press a few buttons on my remote. That's going to sound just as good as anything you can wrangle with software.

What a waste of time!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thing is you can convince people with simple logic,they will ignore your advice and still want to do things that they asked for.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!