VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have about 2,000 DVD's in my collection. I recently purchased a WDTVLive! and really love this thing. I have found that ripping my original commercial movies to DVD5 file set works best for me all around on this box. I've already converted about 2 TB this way and it's perfect for me. I want to do the remaining (about 6 TB) in the same format.

I've been using DVDFabHD Decrypter to rip to DVD9, and then I use DVD2ONE to compress and preserve the Audio/Subtitles that I want. DVDFab (now BluFab) has discontinued the Decryption function with it's latest update. I'm still using an older version and it works for now, but I'd like to move to something else that is still supported, and produces the DVD file structure with everything in tact.

I've tried a bunch of CRAP and nothing I've found works even 1/10th as good as my standard.

So, can someone here recommend an application that will do the trick. There are many out there that will rip to a single file, but that's not what I want. I want the full file set. It gives me all the options of the original DVD (I'm hearing impaired, and rely need the subs). The box also downloads all the album art and descriptions of the movies that way. It makes it very nice for browsing, not to mention that if the original DVD gets damaged it's a one step process to re-burn the movie since the file set is right there.

Suggestions solicited... Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Ripit is often mentioned as a good solution for Mac. http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/

But DVDFab is still going to offer decryption updates for their existing customers. Whether that includes updates for the free section or not, is still unknown. You'll just have to wait and see.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate works fairly well and includes the ability to embed subtitles. I usually set things up for H264/AAC in an MP4/M4V container. Handbrake is also fairly good although (IIRC) it requires an external .SRT file for the subtitle embed.

You won't find many fully supported apps for this on the Mac as many of us have moved away from DVD and BluRay. Others here who are true believers in the various "disc" formats may be able to provide more help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Ripit is often mentioned as a good solution for Mac. http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/

But DVDFab is still going to offer decryption updates for their existing customers. Whether that includes updates for the free section or not, is still unknown. You'll just have to wait and see.
    Actually, what happens is this - It notifies you an update is available, you yell it to update, it then tells you that you can no longer decrypt disks. If you didn't keep an installer of the previous version, you are out of luck. Since I only used the free version (which will not be serviced any longer) I didn't save the installer.

I have moved away from optical media on computers, but for TV's and my media box, the file format is friendlier (with regard to subtitles and metadata).

They load faster and never stall the box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate works fairly well and includes the ability to embed subtitles. I usually set things up for H264/AAC in an MP4/M4V container. Handbrake is also fairly good although (IIRC) it requires an external .SRT file for the subtitle embed.

You won't find many fully supported apps for this on the Mac as many of us have moved away from DVD and BluRay. Others here who are true believers in the various "disc" formats may be able to provide more help.
    I'll look into wondershare. Does it allow a standard DVD file set?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Heh, I used to just use Fairmount in conjunction with a 32-bit VLC on my Mac. It extracted everything as proper VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folders... although since I was using it with a Riplocked SuperDrive, as I mentioned in that other post, it was really, really slow.

Fairmount's been discontinued, but a fork of it can be found here. It's an extremely basic ripper, of course, but it worked decently for me.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used TimeMachine to roll back to an older version of DVDFab and it's working fine. when it quits working, I guess I'll revisit the topic and purchase something then. Thanks for your feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ripit is very good, but I now use MDRP and it does give you the option to RIP the whole disc or just the main feature.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I installed MDRP some time back but I didn't work out for some reason. I'll have another look. Perhaps I dismissed it to quickly.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!