VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

i'm trying to make an interactive video where the user can click parts of the video and be taken to related videos. sort of a choose your own adventure thing. i'm not sure what the best way to go about this is.

i'm aware of youtube's annotation features, but i don't know if i want to use youtube, necessarily. this definitely seems like the easiest method, but there are some problems with it. i would like the experience to be more seamless than what youtube provides. i don't like how borders appear around the annotation links, and i don't like how the link url appears over the an notion when the user hovers.

i know it could be done in flash, and the experience would be entirely seamless, but i don't think i want to use flash. it seems to be going the way of the dinosaur and I would like it to play on mobile units (android and IOS)

any tips or insight would really be appreciated. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe html5 video with an interactive player like http://www.cacophonyjs.com/

But the example is superslow on my samsung android mobile. And javascript interactive code is pretty complex.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your answer Baldrick I really appreciate. but I don't have any programming knowledge except for adobe flash. unfortunately this code is too complicated for me. but again, thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hi MrThejoy,

I understand your doubts about YoutTube annotations: although it is the easiest to distribute and require little to no programming skills it misses some very important points; a good design for starters.

With the rise of HTML5 there are some interactive video platforms out there that can do exactly what YouTube annotations and more without any flash. The choose-your-own-adventure style Benefit Pick-a-Path video created with YouTube Annotations and with Vidzor will showcase the differences perfectly.

Vidzor is a self authoring interactive video platform: you upload your videos and then make them interactive all by yourself with the help of interactive video apps. It is HTML5 based and the best is that you need no programming skills whatsoever. You can try it out yourself on https://vidzor.com
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!