VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want black/grey border, with my subtitles. I cannot find any type of subtitle program which can provide this type of effect. I am free to use any software if any software could provide the border that, i posted in the picture below.

Please list some subtitle editing software, which could do this type of border. I am bound to use .ass files for subtitles, so please give relevant software which could play this. But still you are free to list other software too.

Please help!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Uploaded.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	24388  

Quote Quote  
  2. Your best bet is to render your video with a black bar at the bottom -- so the subs will be rendered in the black bar.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you wish to have it EXACTLY like the above example , you can do it with AviSynth.

1. Create a black? band the width of your video. In my case it was 640 and I made it 640x50 for 2 lines height. I saved it as image1.jpg
    2. Create the aviSynth script:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll")
    v = FFVideoSource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\aCommercial HD.flv")
    A = FFAudioSource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\aCommercial HD.flv")
    ab = AudioDub(V, A)
    ac=ImageSource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\Image1.jpg",p ixel_type="RGB32")
    ad=Overlay(ab,ac,x=0, y=290,opacity = 1.0,mask=ac.ShowAlpha())
    #Opacity runs from 0.0(transparent ) to 1.0 (fully opaque)
    Return ad

3. Load the script into Virtualdub or whatever you are going to use for subtitle addition.

I used ffms2 because I've had some problems with Directshowsource and avisource but they may work for you as well. in which case use:

ab=directshowsource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\aCommerc ial HD.flv")
    ac=ImageSource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\Image1.jpg",p ixel_type="RGB32")
    ad=Overlay(ab,ac,x=0, y=290,opacity = 1.0,mask=ac.ShowAlpha())
    #Opacity runs from 0.0(transparent ) to 1.0 (fully opaque)
    Return ad

You should receive

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_59 Apr. 06 10.19.jpg
Views:	1114
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	24390
    Quote Quote  
  4. @Thankx Budman 1.
    Yes, i want the same style as you created above. But can you please elaborate the whole process slowly. Moreover, i am using Ageisub for my subtitles. Please repeat the steps in easy manner. above steps just confused me.

Again Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can also do something like this:

Code:
    YPOS=384
    HEIGHT=72

ffVideoSource("vid.mpg")
    darkbar=last.Crop(0,YPOS,-0,HEIGHT).ColorYUV(gain_y=-128, cont_u=-128, cont_v=-129, opt="coring")
    Overlay(last,darkbar,0,YPOS)
    TextSub("vid.ass")

Name:	darkbar.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	24399
    Quote Quote  
  6. @Jagabo.
    Do i supposed to run all this in avisynth? If yes, then please go step by step, as i am totally new to this. Please explain, it would be of great help.
    Or you can give me the reference where i can learn, avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You don't need to use AviSynth for this. You could use any NLE to add a dark bar then render subs on top of it.

But if you want to learn AviSynth: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page#New_to_AviSynth_-_start_here

In my script YPOS is the vertical position of the top of the dark bar. HEIGHT is the height of the bar. You can control the brightness of the bar within the ColorYUV() filter. I set the brightness (gain) to -128 which represents a 50 percent reduction of brightness. You could set it to -256 for a totally black bar.
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Apr 2014 at 13:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using Aegisub for creating your subtitles is fine but this process will be used in the one where you create the video with the black band ready for the display of the subtitles. Also, you must have AVISynth installed to use this method.

1. First you must create a small image that is just the black band that you will overlay on top of your video at the point you wish. Since my video was 640x360, I used a graphics editor (paint shop Pro)to create an image 360x50 and filled it with the color black.

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	24396

2. Now that you have your overlay image, you create the AVISynth script you will use in place of the actual video. Use a text editor and create the lines of the script as mentioned above and save with the extension AVS. Example: "video Name.avs"

3. In my case I played the AVS file with Potplayer and selected the subtitle file I wanted it to use. The avs file did as the script tells it to. Display the video, overlay the black image1.jpg, 290 pixels down the screen (290 + 50 in height = 340, leaving 20 pixels of video at the bottom of my 360 high video). This is only to PLAY the video with the subtitle band displayed.

4. If you wish to make a permanent video with the band PERMANENTLY embedded over your video, you will need some kind of video editor that accepts AVISynth files such as VirtualDub, FFmpeg, and many others. When you finish you will have a video with a black band across it. If you play it and select your subtitles, they should show up in the band. You may have to adjust location if your subs are ASS or SSA. I used SRT as default location. I used FFMpeg as command line with the line:

ffmpeg -i "C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\sub line2.avs" -acodec copy -crf 20 -vcodec libx264 "C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\Commercial.flv"

5. Optional : If you are going to embed your subtitles as well, then use a program such as VirtualDub, load the AVS file into it and add your subtitle filter and create the finished video in one process.

You can PM me if you have more questions on THIS procedure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo
    Love that one!
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    According to the SSA/ASS specifications, "BorderStyle=3" gives you an opaque box around each subtitle entry.

IMNSHO, this would be much better than a dark bar screwing the picture during the entire playback time...
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 6th Apr 2014 at 13:39. Reason: ...
    Quote Quote  
  11. @Budman & Jagabo! You guys rocks!

Thanks for your support on this. Really appreciate your help.
    Quote Quote  
  12. El Heggunte is absolutely right. Having a black bar in the lower part of the video and all the way across for the whole time is ridiculous. I'm not even a big fan of rectangular boxes when the subs are on (as YouTube does it these days), but at least it's only on when there's a subtitle. Is there something wrong with using the traditional black outline? If the idea is to make sure the subs are readable and not annoy the hell out of the viewer, that's the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I agree the black box is annoying. But I don't care what people want to do to their videos.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I agree the black box is annoying. But I don't care what people want to do to their videos.
    Sure, I'm not criticizing you. You always help people to do what they want, no matter how ill-advised. Me, I don't mind providing an alternate point of view. He's from India (where many such silly requests originate). They're so used to seeing butchered videos on their televisions, VCDs, and DVDs, they don't know that the things they see and want to do themselves aren't the norm in other parts of the world. When he sees something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ttNUkI1-8

he might be excused for thinking it's cool and want to do something like it himself. So I'm just here to say it's not okay. This is 'videohelp.com', not 'videoruin.com'.
    Last edited by manono; 6th Apr 2014 at 23:15.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    he might be excused for thinking it's cool and want to do something like it himself. So I'm just here to say it's not okay. This is 'videohelp.com', not 'videoruin.com'.
    You can't force people to be happy especially when they understand by "happy" something else than you...

bellow example ffmpeg syntax (it is not even close to perfect but good to start improving it)

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i %1 -vf "scale=480:272 [xxx]; color=c=0x22882240:s=480x32 [yyy] ; [xxx] [yyy] overlay=0:238, drawtext=text='text_you_like - can be substituted by subtitle':fontfile=font_you_like.ttf:x=32:y=246:fontsize=20:fontcolor=white [xxx] ; movie=logo_you_like.png [yyy]; [xxx] [yyy] overlay=W-w-16:H-h-64, scale=480:272" -c:v libx264 -preset fast -tune film -profile:v high -level 4.1 -x264opts "bitrate=2000:vbv-maxrate=5000:vbv-bufsize=1000" -crf:v 20 -b:a 128k -acodec ac3 "%1_overlay.mp4
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One final note here if this is for a video such as a demo or lecture or some video where you wish the attention a bar gets, You can have the ASS subtitles extend all the way across the screen to simulate a black bar by using the border style El Heggunte pointed out, dummy characters, and color attributes. Ass style works best because you can specify not to wrap a line if it is too long and makes the preparation of the subtitles easier. Just a note in case someone else would like... or not...Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_59 Apr. 08 12.05.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	24422

Name:	ScreenHunter_60 Apr. 08 12.05.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	24423
    Quote Quote  
  17. @Budman1:
    Yes i want this black bar for some type of lecture, where i don't have to bother about animations or effects. Since Black border gets attention of the viewer, that's y i opted for black bar. Yes, i am working with ASS files and i applied some effects. The idea for wrapping the lines is nice, surely i would try all tips with my file.

Thanks all for your support on this!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just because something has a black border does NOT always mean it grabs their attention. What it does is provide a strong visual contrast enough so that the text/subs are clearly legible.

This SHOULD work in favor of increasing one's attention, but it doesn't necessarily have to do that, particularly if the bar is constant. Then, it becomes almost a non-entity.

Similar how most (but NOT all) artwork in an art gallery is framed to separate the "ART" from the "non-ART".

@jagabo, I really like your reuse of the clip itself as the bar! Very economical, as well as simplifying the sizing & colorspace compatibility.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!