VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Canon Vixia M50 and a R30. I am looking at picking up some SD cards for recording HD video. What brands and type of SD cards do you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any name brand SD (up to 2GB) and SDHC (>2GB) card class 6 or better will do. The most important thing is, inserted in a card reader or the camcorder, do not format the card, delete files in it that the camcorder recorded, or insert externally sourced files in windoze. Connected to the PC, operations on the card should be restricted to transferring/copying files off it to the computer hard drive. Disconnect the camcorder USB connection from the PC before formatting/initializing the card with the camcorder menu.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why shouldn't you delete the files on the card?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by matthewjohn23 View Post
    Why shouldn't you delete the files on the card?
    I have explained why in a few older posts, including a very recent one that involves a similar case today 6 April, 2014. Shoot video with the card, then when it's filled up, after transferring contents to the PC hard drive, disconnect and format/initialize card with camcorder menu to erase it. Never delete files in it while connected in windoze.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I 'move' files from my (cheapie, relatively) Samsung camera, have never removed the card since new. Never had any problems with this method. I use 'Graphics Workshop' for this.

I have (still! 14 years old, doesnt work, keep for nostalia reasons) a Canon powershot S100 digital Elph, ($800.00, I paid $500.00 on sale!) I tried using the included software for moving files. They ended being buried so deep in the computer I got a cf card reader & removed the card each time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. SanDisk class 10 Ultra & Extreme is all you need for 1080p avchd video (30MB/s to 45MB/s, reasonably fast and more than sufficient, and priced very well.

SanDisk Extreme plus & Pro are recommended for recording formats like Raw CinemaDNG & ProRes which shoots @ over 150Mbps.

http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/memory-cards/sd/

for shooting my 1080/50p avchd video have a 128gb Extreme card (45MB/S read & write) because i can get 10 to 11 hours of video on the card and are priced very nicely for the purpose i use them for.

for 220Mbps ProRes HQ 422 i have 4x 64gb Extreme Pro cards (95MB/s) and also use these if i fill up the 128gb Extreme card while shooting avchd.

there are other reputable brands out there (patriot are another good brand) but i just use SanDisk because everyone stocks them, and they have a great reputation.

as for dumping files and formatting the cards, well i always remove my cards from the camera, put it into the card reader in my editing pc (or laptop) and i copy the files over to my pc hdd, remove the card and put it back into the camera and use the onboard format option to wipe the card clean, i never format it using windows.
    Quote Quote  
  7. hi dear, I have sometimes got one SD Card by a brand of Renice, which mentioned it support wide temp. operation from -40c to +85c, and durability operation, SD3.0 transform , anyway it shows no big problems now. And recently we have got a promotion information from them, maybe you guys would be intersted as well. Just follow them and re-twit message. on goo.gl/o9we1A and participate the lucky draw, there would be with the chance to got like this SD Card, CF Card, ,etc..
    Quote Quote