VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just purchased an LG 50LA6200 3D TV that supports every 3D format under the sun - Frame Packing; Line Alternative; Field Alternative; Side by Side; Side by Side Full; Top & Bottom; Checker Board - except for Field-Sequential. A long while ago, I bought a Virtual FX FS system and over the years built up quite a library of titles to go with it. When I finally traded in my rear-projection TV for LCD TVs, of course the device was obsoleted. I would love to be able to watch these again on my new TV.

Is there any hardware that can convert the FS format on the fly to something compatible with this set, or if not, is it possible to convert the video through software?

Thank you in advance...

---edit---

I should add that I run Linux, so any software would need to run under that. I suppose I could find a Windoze computer if I had to, but I owuld rather not.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's simple in AviSynth:

Code:
    SeparateFields()
    StackVertical(SelectEven(),SelectOdd())
    You might have to reverse the order of SelectEven() and SelectOdd().
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does that save the video as a new file or does it simply convert it on the fly? I use a Raspberry Pi to server videos off a Linux server to my TV, so I would really need to convert and save to a new file.

I was hoping maybe Avidemux could do it, or a similar program.
    Last edited by rebeltaz; 5th Apr 2014 at 23:13.
    Quote Quote  
  4. MeGUI opens AviSynth scripts (you'll need to add a source filter to the above script to open the source video) and lets you save the video. You can play AviSynth scripts in most media players (for realtime playback). If you use ffdshow you can run AviSynth scripts within any media player. AviSynth only runs on Windows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Bino is a free stereo3d media player for Linux. It ought to be able to do the conversion. I know it explicitly supports some/most of the output formats your TV likes. A little murkier is the input formats: it says it supports "Line Alternating" format. Some interpretations allow this to include fields, some don't.

Try it and see.

Of course you could always try running AVISynth in WINE.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Perhaps Vapoursynth can be used directly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Bino is a free stereo3d media player for Linux. It ought to be able to do the conversion. I know it explicitly supports some/most of the output formats your TV likes. A little murkier is the input formats: it says it supports "Line Alternating" format. Some interpretations allow this to include fields, some don't.

Try it and see.

Scott
    I downloaded Bino and looked at it. I'll have to rip one of my discs and see if the Even/Odd Rows or the Odd/Even Rows input mode works, but this is still an on-the-fly converter with no option to convert and save. If I cannot find a way to save the output, Bino may work - I'll just have to connect my laptop to the TV. It would just be SO much easier if I could convert and save so I could stream these videos the same way I do any others - through the Raspberry.

I don't understand why there are option to transpose on-the-fly but not file to file. I would think that THAT would be the easier of the two options... eh...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
    I don't understand why there are option to transpose on-the-fly but not file to file. I would think that THAT would be the easier of the two options... eh...
    Because re-encoding will reduce quality.

You can create a file from an AviSynth script by opening it in any editor or encoder that supports AviSynth scripts as input. I usually use the x264 CLI encoder. But you can also use VirtualDub, MeGUI, XMediaRecode, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't get it: you asked explicitly for something that could convert on-the-fly...

I'll get back to you.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't get it: you asked explicitly for something that could convert on-the-fly...

I'll get back to you.

Scott
    I'm sorry... I see the confusion... what I asked was if there was any HARDWARE that can convert the FS format on-the-fly -or- if not, is it possible to convert the video through software. I should have worded that better. I meant if on-the-fly wan't possible with hardware, I would want to do it through software saving the file to a format I could play through the Pi. I apologize for the misunderstanding...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM

I'll get back to you.

Scott
    Hi... I was just wondering if you ever found anything?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I did spend some time checking:
    There is no decent alternative in Linux yet: VaporSynth, AVISynth 3.0, and avxsynth are all only partially completed (though maybe enough for your needs?). I believe you MIGHT be able to do it in ffmpeg, but the attempt would be complex & convoluted in order to get there.

So that leaves AVISynth->MeGUI (with x264 installed) in WINE or Virtualdub (with x264 installed) in WINE. Or payware like Vegas Pro or Cyberlink PowerDirector (also in WINE).

I thought you had gotten the gist of those from the previous comments. Sorry I wasn't clear in getting back to you.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for looking for me. I tried AVISynth->MeGUI under wine and Virtualbox both, and for some reason couldn't get them to work although I don't remember why now. I'll try them again on my girlfriend's laptop with Windows. I will look into Vegas and Cyberlink as well in case the otehr doesn't work. ANyway... thank you again. Maybe I'll be able to see my old videos again soon
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
    I tried AVISynth->MeGUI under wine and Virtualbox both, and for some reason couldn't get them to work although I don't remember why now.
    You probably didn't have the right source filter for your video. Try the ffmpeg source plugin for AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know what it was now.. it kept telling me that it couln't find a decompresspor or something like that. I did install ffmpeg under VirtualBox as well as the k-lite codec pack... I know nothing about AVISynth... how do I " Try the ffmpeg source plugin..." Sorry
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your first line of your script should be your "source filter", which is the link to the input file. Using AVISynth and Virtualdub (just for playing - without encoding yet), start line-by-line, only adding lines when you know the previous one doesn't have an error.

Assuming you try ffmpeg source plugin (which you would need to have installed ffmpeg as well) the one line script would be along the lines of:
    Code:
    FFVideoSource("My Path & filename Here", other options if appropriate)
    If you have a problem with that, first make sure ffmpeg is installed correctly to where AVISynth can use it. Also make sure in ffmpeg's configuration that the codec necessary for your file (which you should find out by checking via MediaInfo) is governed by ffmpeg. Then it should be a breeze. Note that those other options may or may not apply to you - you should read the documentation to clarify.

BTW, DO--NOT--INSTALL--KLITE, or any other codec pack, unless that is your last option. Safe computing practices expect that you don't needlessly add a LOT of extra confounding garbage (which MAY or may not break other installations) to solve a more simple problem. Solve it simply by installing ONLY the needed codecs WHEN they are needed.

If you get stuck, post the DETAILED text output from MediaInfo of one of your source files, and any error messages you come across, VERBATIM.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I use this as my AVS script:

Code:
    FFVideoSource("X:\videos\Encounter.in.the.Third.Dimension.avi")
    SeparateFields()
    StackVertical(SelectEven(),SelectOdd())
    it tells me:
    Code:
    Script error: there is no function named "FFVideoSource"
    (X:\videos\avisynth_test.avs, line 1)
    When I change the first line to read "AVISource" instead of "FFVideoSource" I get the "no decompressor found" error.

I downloaded ffmpeg from the link in your post, but I could not make heads or tails out of that. I installed ffdshow instead and still get the same error with "FFVideoSource" but with "AVISource" I no longer get the "no decompressor found" error, but instead get:

Code:
    No compatible ACM codec to decode 0x2000 audio stream to PCM
    Quote Quote  
  18. Did you download the ffmpeg source plugin for AviSynth and put ffms2.dll in AviSynth's plugins folder?

For the AVI, skip the audio for now. Add "audio=false" to the AviSource() command:
    Code:
    AviSource("filename.avi", audio=false)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ffdshow is NOT the same thing as ffmpeg, nor the ffmpegsource plugin for AVISynth.

One line at a time helps narrow down the troubleshooting steps...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I removed everything from the script except the first line. I donwloaded and extracted the ffmpegsource addon to the AVISynth addon folder. I still get the same "no function" error when I run MeGUI, but when I change 'FFVideoSource' to FFmpegsource' in the first line of the script (which makes more sense to me since that IS the addon that I just 'installed') I get a different error:

Code:
    FFmpegSource: Video track is unseekable
    When i go back to "AVIsource" instead and add the "audio=false" parameter, it actually does load and seems to seperate the frames like the rest of the script asks (alhough it is doing top-bottom instead of side-by-side, but if that is the only issue my TV will accept that I believe) so I just need to get the audio working.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are 75% there. Do us a favor and post a detailed mediainfo text readout. Then we can suggest finishing up the loose ends.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I should stick with the AVIsource method? Is this the report you need:

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : X:\videos\Encounter.in.the.Third.Dimension.avi
    Format                                   : AVI
    Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile                           : OpenDML
    File size                                : 1.27 GiB
    Duration                                 : 37mn 42s
    Overall bit rate                         : 4 819 Kbps
    Writing application                      : MEncoder svn r34540 (Ubuntu), built with gcc-4.6
    Writing library                          : MPlayer

Video
    ID                                       : 0
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L3.0
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
    Codec ID                                 : h264
    Duration                                 : 37mn 42s
    Bit rate                                 : 4 598 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate                         : 5 198 Kbps
    Width                                    : 720 pixels
    Height                                   : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
    Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
    Standard                                 : NTSC
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.444
    Stream size                              : 1.21 GiB (95%)
    Writing library                          : x264 core 120 r2151 a3f4407
    Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=5198 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AC-3
    Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness              : Big
    Codec ID                                 : 2000
    Duration                                 : 36mn 1s
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 224 Kbps
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel(s)_Original                      : 6 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Delay relative to video                  : 67ms
    Stream size                              : 57.7 MiB (4%)
    Alignment                                : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration                     : 503 ms (15.08 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration             : 1000 ms
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
    When i go back to "AVIsource" instead and add the "audio=false" parameter, it actually does load and seems to seperate the frames like the rest of the script asks (alhough it is doing top-bottom instead of side-by-side, but if that is the only issue my TV will accept that I believe) so I just need to get the audio working.
    If your TV accepts top/bottom I suggest you stay with that. Going with side-by-side will lose resolution. But if you want to try it:

Code:
    AviSource("filename.avi", audio=false)
    SeprateFields() # 720x240 fields
    LanczosResize(width/2, height*2) # 360x480 fields
    StackHorizontal(SelectEven(),SelectOdd()) #720x480 frames
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I concur. You are at 1/2 vertical resolution already (but full horizontal rez where it really matters in 3D) with your source. This level of quality is maintained by going to TaB/OU layout, but you'd lose again 1/2 your horiz rez (and not gain back any REAL vertical rez) if you went with SbS, even though they are more common.

I notice you have DD (aka AC-3 aka A52) as your audio codec. If you don't already have it (which it sounds like you don't), you should DL & install a copy of "AC3File" directshow source filter. This should fix your audio problem with AVISource, with the added benefit of allowing AC-3 decoding in ALL your Directshow encoders/players, including even stock WMP.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I concur. You are at 1/2 vertical resolution already (but full horizontal rez where it really matters in 3D) with your source. This level of quality is maintained by going to TaB/OU layout, but you'd lose again 1/2 your horiz rez (and not gain back any REAL vertical rez) if you went with SbS, even though they are more common.

I notice you have DD (aka AC-3 aka A52) as your audio codec. If you don't already have it (which it sounds like you don't), you should DL & install a copy of "AC3File" directshow source filter. This should fix your audio problem with AVISource, with the added benefit of allowing AC-3 decoding in ALL your Directshow encoders/players, including even stock WMP.

Scott
    Oh I don't mind the Top/Bottom. The 3d is all that matters to me, not how it gets there.

I downloaded and installed this - http://www.ac3filter.net/wiki/Download_AC3File - (I hope that is the correct file) but I still get the same "ACM codec" error

I can convert the video from the original DVD to a different audio format if that would help.

----

I installed Bino and the Bino plugin on my Raspberry Pi / RaspBMC, but I cannot for the life of me get the plugin to play (or act on) the video. If I could get that to work, all of this would be unnecesarry, since Bino works just fine. meh...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My mistake, I jumped the gun. What you want is actually the "AC3 ACM Codec", not the AC3File DS filter (though it doesn't hurt to have that installed also). The former uses the ACM (VfW) architecture, whereas the latter uses Dshow/DMO architecture, both of which are usually present on Windows computers.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol... that's cool. I am now encoding, so... all seems to be good.

Just out of curiousity, is there a way to use the original ISO as input to MeGUI through AVIsynth or do I still need to encode it to an AVI first?

I appreciate all of y'alls help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    An ISO is just a disc image. Mount the ISO, extract (rip) the VOB/MPG from the disc (assuming it is std DVD-Video disc). Instead of AVISource, you could use DGIndex / DGMPEGDec (their site has a pretty clear tutorial on how to use the plugin as an AVISynth source filter).

Yes, that would save you one generation of quality loss (and time).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An ISO is just a disc image. Mount the ISO, extract (rip) the VOB/MPG from the disc (assuming it is std DVD-Video disc). Instead of AVISource, you could use DGIndex / DGMPEGDec (their site has a pretty clear tutorial on how to use the plugin as an AVISynth source filter).

Yes, that would save you one generation of quality loss (and time).

Scott
    OK... cool. Thank you. I'll try that.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... OK, so maybe not. After letting this work last night, I just checked the results. The first thing I noticed is that, while the video still shows the 30+ minutes length, the actual video only plays to the halfway point (in full) and it does that at double speed. The audio is wonky, too. This is hard to explain, but I guess the best I can describe it is that it sounds like it has been processed through a karaoke filter with the center channel sound removed. grumble....
    Quote Quote