VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Been using Zorin Core 64-bit 8.1 (based on Ubuntu) for about two weeks now. Overall, excellent. Have not gone back to Windows on this PC even once during this time.

However, running into my first big problem using kino to import DV video from my Canopus DV-100 and VCR. I run it as Administrator to avoid a bug detecting my firewire port. Problem is, about 15 seconds into starting a capture, Kino freezes, stops responding to the mouse, and goes grey. I have to force quit and the type 1 avi it created during that time is not readable by any program, even VLC.

I posted about this on the Zorin support forums and was advised to make sure my nVidia drivers were up to date.

Did the procedure for updating nVidia drivers "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings" then rebooted in recovery mode and ran dkpg. Restarted the PC (forgot to restart with the 3-finger salute, but did a complete restart after that).

Not only did this not help, but now when I'm in Thunderbird mail, then switch over to Google Chrome to do something, the Thunderbird window goes completely black. It's apparently still running because when I mouse over and click Thunderbird again, Thunderbird comes back (if I happened to click an unseen command, like changing the active folder, while the screen was black, it executes that command).

Meanwhile, after exactly 15 seconds of capturing DV, Kino still freezes, then goes grey, not responding to anything until I click the X in the title bar and force quit.

Suggestions, anyone? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using firewire for capture and is it on a USB device? If so you'll never get it to work, not even under Windows. For firewire capture to work, you have to either use something built into the motherboard or a true add on firewire card in a PC tower. The USB based "solutions" never work. If you're not using firewire, then ignore this post.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
    ... Been using Zorin Core 64-bit 8.1 (based on Ubuntu) for about two weeks now. Overall, excellent. Have not gone back to Windows on this PC even once during this time.
    As a ubuntu user, I'm not surprised. I rarely use windoze anymore. Not too familiar with Zonin though ... it seems to based upon ubuntu 13.10.

However, running into my first big problem using kino to import DV video from my Canopus DV-100 and VCR. I run it as Administrator to avoid a bug detecting my firewire port...
    You're still stuck in windoze think since "I run it as Administrator" makes little sense in linux, where permissions actually work. I can't say much about running this device in linux. Never tried it, and my suggestion would be to look at the ubuntu support sites like ubuntuforums or askubuntu or just google "ubuntu + ..."

I posted about this on the Zorin support forums and was advised to make sure my nVidia drivers were up to date.

Did the procedure for updating nVidia drivers "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings" then rebooted in recovery mode and ran dkpg. Restarted the PC (forgot to restart with the 3-finger salute, but did a complete restart after that).

Not only did this not help, but now when I'm in Thunderbird mail, then switch over to Google Chrome to do something, the Thunderbird window goes completely black. It's apparently still running because when I mouse over and click Thunderbird again, Thunderbird comes back (if I happened to click an unseen command, like changing the active folder, while the screen was black, it executes that command).
    Sorry, but it looks to me like you got typical crap forum advice. Even the ubuntu support sites ... which are the best linux ones for noobs, period ... have lots of bad advice. And from a quick read of the Zorin forum I'd say it much worse than any I've seen.

I'm not saying not to use Zorin, though it wouldn't be what I'd have recommended, but in the future I'd suggest searching the ubuntu support instead. And learn the commands for finding out what hardware you have.

Suggestions, anyone? Thanks!
    First you need to fix the video driver issue that some clown on the zorin forum apparently caused you to screw up.

Read this ...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/72766/how-do-i-find-out-the-model-of-my-graphics-card

... and find out what drivers you should be using.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Are you using firewire for capture and is it on a USB device? If so you'll never get it to work, not even under Windows. For firewire capture to work, you have to either use something built into the motherboard or a true add on firewire card in a PC tower. The USB based "solutions" never work. If you're not using firewire, then ignore this post.
    It's a motherboard firewire port, never had a problem with it in Windows (Vista).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    However, running into my first big problem using kino to import DV video from my Canopus DV-100 and VCR. I run it as Administrator to avoid a bug detecting my firewire port...
    You're still stuck in windoze think since "I run it as Administrator" makes little sense in linux, where permissions actually work. I can't say much about running this device in linux. Never tried it, and my suggestion would be to look at the ubuntu support sites like ubuntuforums or askubuntu or just google "ubuntu + ..."
    Actually what I like about Zorin is it deliberately makes itself look and act like Windows as much as possible. It's been making the Windows to Linux transition much easier (until now, that is). It actually has an option for running programs called "run as administrator," which is no doubt a Windows friendly way of saying "run as root."

Sorry, but it looks to me like you got typical crap forum advice. Even the ubuntu support sites ... which are the best linux ones for noobs, period ... have lots of bad advice. And from a quick read of the Zorin forum I'd say it much worse than any I've seen.

I'm not saying not to use Zorin, though it wouldn't be what I'd have recommended, but in the future I'd suggest searching the ubuntu support instead. And learn the commands for finding out what hardware you have.

First you need to fix the video driver issue that some clown on the zorin forum apparently caused you to screw up.
    Seem to have fixed the Thunderbird blacking out issue (rebooted in recovery mode, then ran DPKG, then rebooted with the 3-finger salute rather than using the menus). In other words, I finally ran the procedure correctly that they recommended for fixing the Kino issue. Oddly enough, that seems to have fixed the newer Thunderbird problem apparently created by my screwing up the procedure the first time.

But it didn't fix my original issue. Kino still crashes 15 seconds into a DV capture, like clockwork. And when it does, it won't restart unless I reboot the whole PC.

Read this ...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/72766/how-do-i-find-out-the-model-of-my-graphics-card

... and find out what drivers you should be using.
    I'll see if there's anything there that will be helpful. Thanks!
    Last edited by Robert Simandl; 4th Apr 2014 at 19:14.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
    ... Actually what I like about Zorin is it deliberately makes itself look and act like Windows as much as possible. It's been making the Windows to Linux transition much easier (until now, that is). It actually has an option for running programs called "run as administrator," which is no doubt a Windows friendly way of saying "run as root."
    I understand the appeal of making things look like Windows, but that's going too far. Linux doesn't work quite like windows, and the permission levels are a prime example.

Linux/unix actually has robust permission permission levels, and this is largely why there are NO linux viruses out in the wild.

Note: this does NOT mean a linux/unix system can't be hacked/owned. You still need a strong password and to make good security decisions in general.

Having good permission levels also means that a program install won't install flaky codec packs or browser search bars et al without gig red flags. That's why I used mostly linux ports in Windows 7 before installing ubuntu. Which made the switch a lot easier.

There's more than one "administrator" level in linux/unix. Your login password is NOT the root password. Read this ...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

... and absolutely do not make yourself root until you actually know what you're doing. If you're using gksudo to edit config files always make a backup copy first.

Actually if I were you, since it's a ubuntu 13.10 based system, I'd probably end up installing one of the ubuntu desktops and purge the one you're using. Their support forum is just pitiful.

Which ubuntu desktop you'd want depends on your hardware specs. Unity (package name ubuntu-desktop) needs as much power as windows 7. I had it once on my i3 4Gb laptop and found it too slow. It's also not that windows like.

KDE (kubuntu-desktop) is considered heavy but it can be sped up considerably. I think it'd be fine in 2Gb ram or more. It's more windows like.

XFCE and LXDE (xubuntu-desktop & ubuntu-desktop) are a lot lighter and simpler. In 1Gb or less, definitely one of the 2. I use Kubuntu on my i3 based laptop and Lubuntu on my 1Gb netbook.

The people at Zorin aren't going to like me much for this but I don't care. Their forum support is just wretched and linux noobs need it.

I tried Linux Mint for a while and I don't think they like me much either. But after seeing noobs with wireless problems (definitely not unheard of in linux though it can almost always be fixed) on their forum I don't care about that either. There didn't seem to be anyone there with real expertise and there's some shell script in mint that doesn't even give useful info ... like which wireless driver you're using . Not that I don't like Mint per se but for noobs? No.

Actually going to the ubuntu support sites for a non ubuntu distro (which I recommended) is something I did in Mint. My netbook wireless isn't that well supported in linux but they're getting there. I was using Mint 16 which is also 13.10 based. It was mostly working mostly OK but it turned out I needed a backport. After a quick look at the mint forums I just went and found it on the ubuntu forums.

Which is why I'm back to ubuntu.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This linux distro stuff is a bit OT. For your original problems jman's post is on the right track. I suspect firewire or usb support problems rather than video drivers.

Also I did a search for "Canopus DV-100" and there doesn't seem to any model by that name. When you're searching this stuff you need to get that stuff exactly right.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Robert - Your card is likely the Canopus ADVC-100. Dude, you have GOT to get this stuff right if you want help, as Hoser Rob points out.

This isn't a solution, but you should at least consider what I say. I make my living support Linux servers and only Linux servers for a US based Fortune 500 company. I have worked with Macs some and I am writing this right now on an iMac. I don't like Microsoft or Windows very much. Want to know what I run at home on my PC? Windows 7. It's where the tools are. I don't do anything on the Mac more complex than surf the internet and read email. I tell people all the time that EVERYTHING is harder on a Mac because of the lack of software tools. Usually on a Mac you have one or two choices and if they don't work for you, well, it sucks to be you. But I'd advise anybody to use a Mac for video capture and processing before I'd use Linux. If you want to do video work under Linux you usually have ONE choice and if it doesn't work for you, there's no alternative. You admitted that it worked fine under Vista. Sorry man, but I have a feeling that you're going to be waiting a LONG time for help under Linux. Most Linux people don't do the kind of work you do want to do so the Firewire stuff has probably barely been tested. Maybe it works a lot better under a different version of Linux. If you get really desperate to get this working, you may just have to go with whatever Linux variant Canopus recommends.

I never even heard of Zorin before this thread. I gave up long ago keeping up with the various different releases. Every month or two somebody comes along with a new variant that is supposedly better for Windows users than any of the ones that came before. Heck, that's basically the reason that Ubuntu got made in the first place.
    Quote Quote