VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I recently bought a JVC HM-DH40000U DVHS deck, assuming that it could output old vhs throught it's firewire/iLink output to my PC, on windows 7. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem do be the case at all. The only thing I could manage to do was playing a vhs a few second, then it stops by itself (on the Cyberling Power director capture & editing software). I tryed on adobe premiere pro, but it doesn't detect the device at all. So I'm left with no options at all.

Any ideas ? Aside of doing analog capture with s-video+rca cables and passing them through mini-dv camera so I can use the firewire port to output (without problems) ? I use sometimes a capture card, but the image quality is much better through a mini-dv+firewire combinason.

Thanks to answer
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I have an idea. By any chance is this "PC" of yours actually a laptop? And are you using some kind of USB based firewire card? Because if that is what you are doing, having it not work is exactly what you should expect. The only way you can ever get firewire capture working on a PC is that you have to have a true firewire card and not some USB add on, which means you need either an older laptop where it was actually built into the motherboard or you need a PC tower where you can add a firewire card to the motherboard if the motherboard doesn't come with a firewire connector.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As Jman98 says, but if you do have the right equipment, I would say drop capture tools offered by editors and just use the free WinDV for DV video transfer.

Let great editors be great editors. They shouldn't be video acquisition (ex:capturing) or even video delivery apps (ex:encoding), which are stand-alone sciences on their own and serve only as an afterthought token feature on most editors.

WinDV is focused on DV transfer and nothing else, which makes it good at it.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. 1- It's not a laptop. 2- It seems to be a driver issue, as showed in the device manager. As for Windv, it says "Error. Can't find DV output pin". Any idea ? I work all the time with a mini-dv cam with a firewire pci card and have no problem usually.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It appears that deck will output a 720p HDV signal via firewire. Make sure your project is set for that. WinDV won't work, it's SD only. Try capturing with HDVsplit or Adobe Premiere Pro.

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027070&pathId=50&page=3&archive=true
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, didn't realize it was HD, was thinking typical VHS, should have better looked at the D part.

Yes, HDVSplit is very much like the HD version of WinDV. I still would prefer that over an editor doing it.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I just tryed HDVSplit and premiere pro in HDV mode. On HDVSplit, it captures only 3 seconds of video (even if I try to capture longer than that). On premiere pro, even if I hit the record button and that it previews the image, that's all it does without capturing at all.

Also, i have this error message on HDVSplit: "ERROR: HDVSPlit can't find MPEG1 audio decoder. Try to install and configure ffdshow.
    Audio is turned off".
    Quote Quote  
  8. You could try installing ffdshow, as it says, but if it stops after three seconds it could be something else as well. Make sure your audio bitrate is set properly and that you allow HDVSplit or Premiere to ignore timecode breaks.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by monks19 View Post
    Also, i have this error message on HDVSplit: "ERROR: HDVSPlit can't find MPEG1 audio decoder. Try to install and configure ffdshow.
    Audio is turned off".
    That doesn't matter - it's just for the preview window. You don't have to preview at all. It doesn't change what's captured.

HDVsplit stops after 4 seconds if it doesn't think there's a signal there.

Cheers,
    David,
    Quote Quote