VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally looking to get a proper stand-alone Blu-Ray player. Unfortunately, I have an older HDTV, specifically a Olevia 242T FHD 1080p. Unfortunately, this tv is only 60p native, but with support for 24p. Maybe it's just my critical eye, but I tend to notice a lot of motion artifacts.

If I'm feeding the TV a 24p signal, then I understand that it'll be using the TV's internal 3:2 pulldown technology. But, since that technology is 5+ years old, would I get a better display from a Blu-Ray player outputting 60p - thus having the (more modern) Blu-Ray player do the pulldown?

I'm assuming most Blu-Rays would have output format options, where I could possibly disable the 24p output, forcing the player to do the pulldown.

Thoughts? Any models that stand out for my purposes? Most player models don't even mention pulldown, decomb filters, etc. in their specs anymore, so it's a little difficult to research and compare. Are there any other features/specifications to look for on a Blu-Ray player to help compensate for using an older TV?

I'm fairly new to the Blu-Ray buying market, and I don't really care about 3D, "smart" internet features, streaming, etc - i just want as good of a picture as I can get on my aging display.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by akrako1 View Post
    If I'm feeding the TV a 24p signal, then I understand that it'll be using the TV's internal 3:2 pulldown technology. But, since that technology is 5+ years old, would I get a better display from a Blu-Ray player outputting 60p - thus having the (more modern) Blu-Ray player do the pulldown?
    You'll get exactly the same thing: frames repeated in a 2x:3x pattern. I'm not aware of any Blu-ray player that has motion interpolation. And that wouldn't work well for 24p to 60p anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just a word of warning - my old Samsung 1080p 60 Hz HDTV wouldn't display anything at all if I set a BluRay player to output 24 fps. Unfortunately for you, you are one of those really fussy people and to be honest with you, I don't think there is anything you can buy that will give you what you want on that TV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah well... thanks for the info!
    Quote Quote