VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi people,

I just got an easycap to have a little fun, but I've been having a problem. As I record, the audio is cut midway. The video continues ok, but when I check the capture, the audio stops little after the start. Any ideas on why this is happening?

I'm using Easycap DC60 on a MAC running lion.

Thx!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have an idea, but you're not going to like it: because EasyCap is crap. A little research on this site would have revealed (before you bought it) that there is no end to the problems that device line has had (and even worse for the knockoffs).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The real one is sold on ezcap.tv, and anything else that sounds/reads like "easy" and "cap" is a fake. I agree with Cornucopia on the fact that you will have problems with these phony devices, and yes, just search and see right here in this Forum to see what others are frustrated about too after buying such a unit.

Many here will be leary about giving advice on a product that rips off a credible company and sells garbage. So, I will apologize in advance for any hostility you may receive. The truth is, your device sucks.

But, nevertheless, Ok, it may not be your fault since you didn't know, and if you want sound, try capturing through your sound card instead if your device is flaky on audio. Not sure what capture software you're using on a Mac, but I know some software on Windows, like VirtualDub, allows you to capture through the sound card with a simple setting.

Or, you can support the authors of the real thing at ezcap.tv - it's an excellent product.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since the OP is using a Mac, the selection of decent SD capture devices is limited

The ezcap116 DC60+ device sold by ezcap.tv is technically OSX compatible, but the software provided with is for Windows only. The recommended OSX compatible software for the device is VideoGlide, but it must be purchased separately.

Elgato, a respected manufacturer of video capture devices for Macs, sells a SD USB capture device that comes with OSX compatible software, the Elgato Video Capture, http://www.elgato.com/en/video/video-capture
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I purchased this device about a year ago (and now I find that it might be a clone? Due to the software bundle.) but it was put aside as the project got delayed.. but now I am in need of help, the ULEAD software that come with it does not work (I get a strange graph error) and so I tried VDub and the auto is out of sync or sounds like "Mickey Moose", (I have tried both the USB & Line/Mic inputs) I have read a number of different hints in different forums / message threads.. has anybody found a real fix/software for this device?
    CPU/AMD Athlon II 4X 645 3.1GHz
    8GB Memory
    Windows 7-64
    Quote Quote  
  6. I had a real and fake easycap they both suck but hey i still had this bookmarked any problems with easycap can be solved here they have drivers support etc

http://easycapexpertti.mybisi.com/
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It would be easier to put the sound through your line-in on your computer sound and use a program such as virtualvcr with the line-in as your sound source.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ConanEdogawa: Thanks for the link but I had already seen all that info from YouTube videos.
    johns0: I have tried to use both line-in and the USB device and I got the same sound troubles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you do get video out of it, and like its output, then forget audio altogether with it and just capture the audio separately, such as with a software app like Audacity through your sound card's Line In. Then you can mux/edit the final result together in the end.

Not sure what you're capturing, but if it's a few dozen VHS tapes, this will work. But if it's TV programs, then it's not practical, and - not to be mean, but frank - I will then tell you to forget any "fix" and get another capture device instead.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PuzZLeR: I have a stack of VHS tapes that I want to move to DVD's, I get OK video (based on the source was SLP VHS).. its the audio is a mess! and yes it will record the audio (either/or line/mic input or from the USB) when using VirtualDub, the audio will not stay in sync at all.. I watched ( or tried to watch the images were too small for my eyes) where the party spoke of install different CODEC's and setting the capture to not try to compress any of the audio.. but I could not see the CODEC that the person was using and the setting he was changing..... using the base settings in VirtualDub the audio will race ahead of the video and the stop then it will playback.....?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, that's not what I meant. Sure there's a setting in VirtualDub to capture through the sound card's Line In, but since you're having problems with that I was suggesting capturing the audio using a separate audio process that has nothing to do with your capture device, or even VirtualDub, or even video.

I was referring to capturing the tape twice - one for the video since you do get video you seem satisfied out of it, then run the capture with a completely independent capture process just for the audio, without using your capture device, but instead using only an audio method, such as an RCA/composite to 3.5mm cable to your sound card's Line In, and with audio capture software like Audacity (free) and to 48KHz/16bit/stereo wave. Focussing on just the audio in the second capture will be less conflicting with other features you're running while trying to capture video, or with video capture software.

Then mux/edit the resulting streams together, encode/author to MPEG-2/DvD after. (You can even encode the audio afterwards to AC-3 for better compression for your DvD.)

I know it's more work capturing twice beforehand, but keep in mind, it's one of the few workarounds most of us here can suggest with a - proven - problematic device like yours without saying to get another one.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PuzZLeR: Thanks for the suggestions, while I only have one maybe two VHS tapes that would be worth going to that much trouble, with the fact that this 'clone' item is still being sold through many sellers you would think that a single software fix would be out there... ...If one was going to purchase a different Windows 7-64 / 8.1 VHS -> USB capture device what is the one you would recommend? avid
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Multiple captures aren't that much trouble when it's just unattended work, and most likely you'd have to edit anyway. But I understand.

As for your device, it's a farce. "Clone" is a complement. It's a complete ripoff of the real thing, and badly designed, and packaged with outdated, buggy, and likely pirated software, and I'm not surprised if there's no "fix" or any real support at all. So, I say forget it. It probably wouldn't do good work anyway, and likely give you more problems down the road with capturing or even damage your PC.

As for good VHS->USB devices that work in said systems, you can buy the real one at ezcap.tv. Good product.

Another good choice is Hauppauge USB-Live2.

Many of us here like the ATI 600 USB, but unfortunately it's been discontinued years ago, and likely will either not work in modern systems, or will be problematic with them, so I only recommend this unit if you have an older XP machine you can use for capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DavidEC View Post
    PuzZLeR: Thanks for the suggestions, while I only have one maybe two VHS tapes that would be worth going to that much trouble, with the fact that this 'clone' item is still being sold through many sellers you would think that a single software fix would be out there... ...If one was going to purchase a different Windows 7-64 / 8.1 VHS -> USB capture device what is the one you would recommend? avid
    What you don't understand is there are several completely different devices sold under the "EasyCap" name, so you never know what you are going to get when you buy one of the knockoffs. I say different devices, because they have different hardware inside their enclosure. So, no a single software fix does not exist, and sometimes good drivers for newer Windows operating systems hard to find because they are knockoffs, and consequently there is no manufacturer support.

As stated above, PuzZLeR has tried the real ezcap.tv product and says it is good, while others here like the Hauppauge USB Live 2.

The ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB (also sold under the Diamond and Visiontek names) is also a very good capture device for VHS and frequently recommended on this website, however has been discontinued for a few years, although they do turn up on ebay from time to time. I have one, and while the device does work with Windows 7 or Windows 8.x, you have to install the drivers manually and you need to know which drivers to install. The manufacturer's Catalyst Media Center software does not always work with Windows 7, and even if it does work initially, it may stop working at a later date.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st May 2014 at 11:00.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand that there are many devices by the same name.. and they sell on ebay for as low as $2.50 to $160.00 ..all with the same case look.. mine came packaged in even a blister pack with a stamped driver disc, but the software was Ulead.. and Windows tells me it is the SMI device which I understand is not a true 'EasyCap' device.
    Does anybody have any comment on the "Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus" package?
    avid
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand that there are many devices by the same name.. and they sell on ebay for as low as $2.50 to $160.00 ..all with the same case look.. mine came packaged in even a blister pack with a stamped driver disc, but the software was Ulead.. and Windows tells me it is the SMI device which I understand is not a true 'EasyCap' device.
    The SMI chipset is probably the worst one, especially for audio, but very common. However, other chips have been used in the knockoffs. Your Ulead software is very old at this point and probably unlicensed too. Ulead was bought by Corel in 2006. The final Ulead products were released in 2007, and you probably got an earlier version of their software.

Does anybody have any comment on the "Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus" package?
    avid
    By most accounts Roxio does not make great capture products.
    Quote Quote