VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Thread
  1. Hi everybody,

    Lately I've been trying to convert some MKV films to AVI (since MKV is not supported on my DVD player -Pionner DV-838) with Format Factory.

    A year ago I did it (with this very same software) and it worked every time. Sadly, nowadays is not the case... Every time I burn a DVD (with bunch of AVI files in it) only the sound and the subtitles appear, while the screen continues to display "Pionner" in pink letters.

    I really don't get what could have changed, since it used to worked. I tried changing the codecs (from Xvid to DivX) and nothing... the result was a lot of money wasted on DVDs.

    Does anybody have an idea of why this is not working when it used to? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong and I don't notice it.

    Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2000
    Location: Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    Have you checked so you aren't making HD avi divx/xvid? The frame size/resolution shouldn't be higher than around 720x576/480 pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Have you checked so you aren't making HD avi divx/xvid? The frame size/resolution shouldn't be higher than around 720x576/480 pixels.
    I've burned one as XVID 720p and the other as DIVX 720p.

    Should I try converting to 480p? Is it not to crappy regarding resolution?

    If not the other choice I have is AVC (720p 480p 360p)

    In any case, I really don't know if 720p is HD and Format Factory doesn't specify it.

    Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2000
    Location: Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    Most standard dvd players do not support any HD resolutions like 720p and above.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Vermont
    Search Comp PM
    I have Format Factory version 2.80.
    Import MKV, go to output settings, keep output settings at XVID, video size at 720x480 (unless you are in a 720x576 country), I use a bit rate of 2000, FPS at default, Aspect ratio at automatic, Audio at MP3, sample rate at 48000, Bit Rate (your choice) I usually use 128, Audio channels same as original.
    Click OK/Click OK again/click start. After about 10 seconds click on Output folder. Click on your video and check to see quality (this is a nice feature about FF that you can check your video while it's converting). It should be very close to the original.
    If playing on a DVD player that upscales video to HD (both my LG bluray and Philips players do) your video should look as good as the original video. It does on my Samsung flatscreen. But, the DVD player must be connected to a flatscreen throught an HDMI cable from player to TV.
    Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Oct 2004
    Location: Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Most standard dvd players do not support any HD resolutions like 720p and above.
    Dawwn - "Most" doesn't mean "55% chance it won't work, 45% chance it will" but more like "99.99% chance 720p and above won't work on your player". I want to be clear that you understand that.

    Anything above 576p is HD. Period. You don't have any choice. You've already determined that 720p won't work and we told you why. Either go with 480p if you want it to work or waste your time. Converting files to make a DVD player happy is foolish since you could just buy a media player that can handle your HD files and not have to convert anything and your DVD player will die one day, believe it or not, but you've been told what will work so it's up to you now.

    Be warned that a bitrate of 2000 Kbps, as dfisher052 suggested, is too high for some older DVD players that support AVI file playback. If you have problems where the file starts to play but has serious problems, you'll have to drop that value. And note that on some players you can't play AVI files if they are larger than 2 GB in size, so for long videos you'll also have to keep that in mind and use a lower bitrate to get the final size under 2 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Vermont
    Search Comp PM
    Every single video I have converted under 2 1/2 hours at 2000 bitrate has been under 2 GB and I have yet to encounter a DVD player made in the last few years that has not been able to play them. It's very simple to do a conversion and burn to a DVD-RW to see if it will work before doing a bunch of them and then finding out they don't.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads