VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

I have this video which is flickering. What I mean by flickering is that its changing brightness on and off as the video is played. Is there any quick way of removing the flicker using easily available software? I do have after effects but I couldn't seem to find the right way to use AE for this purpose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. I did try deflicker using virtualdub but didnt get the result. Any other software is recommended for this purpose?
    Quote Quote  
  4. "Flicker" can mean anything from auto gain adjustments to field order judder to fluorescent light strobing to macrovision to any number of other issues. Please be more specific and/or post a short sample.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Its basically screen flicker. One frame the video is bit bright and the next frame, the video is getting darkish and this keeps on alternating frame after frame till the end.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sonia123 View Post
    Its basically screen flicker. One frame the video is bit bright and the next frame, the video is getting darkish and this keeps on alternating frame after frame till the end.
    Goodbye.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If it's every other frame it sounds like it may have to do with a cyclical light source such as florescents. What is your light source, what is your frame rate, what is your shutter speed -- or please post a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can help you with that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can help you with that. Post a sample. I whipped up a script specifically-tailored for flickering AND you will keep your details.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The frame rate is 15 fps and it would be helpful if you could please share some tips related to your script. I did try Premiere Pro CC and even that isn't getting me anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  11. AE and PP don't have internal deflicker filters, but there are 3rd party ones availiable such as BCC deflicker, RE:VisionFX DE:Flicker, Granite Bay Deflicker , a few others. Some of them are geared for specific types of flicker.

So what is the flicker caused by? eg. Projector flicker ? Is it global or localized flicker? What is the cycle ? "changing brightness" really isn't a good enough description. The specific type of flicker determines what filters, software , settings and approaches you might use

If you post a sample, or do a better job describing it you will probably get better suggestions. There might be some avisynth/vdub solutions as well
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is the video an older 8mm transfer?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Remember, if we don't get it in 20 guesses you have to tell us the answer. Or post a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  14. @poisnondeathray: is BCC v8 free since I'm really not getting it online. I have exactly a similar case as the original video described in here: http://www.borisfx.com/videos/BCCAVX/Remove-Flicker.php
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Sonia123 View Post
    @poisnondeathray: is BCC v8 free since I'm really not getting it online. I have exactly a similar case as the original video described in here: http://www.borisfx.com/videos/BCCAVX/Remove-Flicker.php
    It's $1000.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    @poisnondeathray: is BCC v8 free since I'm really not getting it online. I have exactly a similar case as the original video described in here: http://www.borisfx.com/videos/BCCAVX/Remove-Flicker.php
    It's $1000.
    So is there any other of way of removing the flicker from these kind of videos?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You still haven't gave a sample so we can't help you.That video doesn't help since it's not your video.
    Quote Quote  
  18. After Effects has an effect called color stabilizer. I did not mention it before because I've never gotten it to work on anything other than an absolutely static shot -- and even then it was difficult and less than ideal.

Please do post a sample. The video on YouTube flickers in a 3-5 frame cycle, which is not the same as what you've described.

Its basically screen flicker. One frame the video is bit bright and the next frame, the video is getting darkish and this keeps on alternating frame after frame till the end.
    Quote Quote  
  19. My video is too large and hence I'm unable to upload in here but it does has the same flickering effect as shown in the link.I did try vdub deflicker and even that didn't give the result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't have to post the entire movie just do a sample of say 1 minute that shows the problem.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  21. Okay so I have only focused on part of my jacket where the effect was really apparent and the remaining part is filled with 3 people around where the flicker isn't that significant.
    So what do you guys think about it?
    Last edited by Sonia123; 2nd Apr 2014 at 23:38.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Since you're not willing to post a short unaltered unre-encoded sample then nobody will help or listen to you anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  23. We just released an AE/Premiere/FCP plugin, Flicker Free, that deals with exactly this type of problem. You can get more info and a free trial version at:

http://digitalanarchy.com/Flicker/main.html

It's simple to use, but works extremely well on most types of flicker. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

cheers,
    Jim Tierney
    Digital Anarchy
    Quote Quote