VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

This is my first post to these forums, so let me know if this topic belongs in a different forum.

For the past few days I've been learning how to use Flash Integro's VSDC free video editor, which is very powerful but notoriously difficult to use.

I have learned how to use the Properties window to adjust the audio volume of an entire video or sound (audio) clip. But I have not figured out how to adjust a sound clip to have it fade in and/or out after the clip has been placed on a project's timeline.

Below is a screen grab of the timeline in question. The Sound2 clip is background music to run while the three images below it cause the title to fade in and out. I would like to have the music fade out at the end of its run. Worst case, I can do that editing in my audio-editing program and then place the edited file on the timeline, but I'd rather do it in the VSDC program itself.

By the way, I'm using version 2.1.3.73, which I believe is the latest version as of this posting.

Any suggestions or links to tutorials covering this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

Click image for larger version

Name:	sound_file_screenshot_for_forum_thread.jpg
Views:	4542
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	24355
    Quote Quote  
  2. Going by their tutorial for video fades, mabe you can add a dummy 2nd audio track, fade the overlap, and then delete the dummy track.

But you should consider using a real NLE. This stuff is hard enough to do without battling the software too.
    Last edited by smrpix; 1st Apr 2014 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, smrpix. I've got just about everything I need figured out, if I can solve this issue.

You said, "Going by their tutorial ... ." By "their," do you mean Flash-Integro? I've looked at the few YouTube video tutorials on VSDC. Has the developer also done some? If so, I haven't come across them. Do you (or anyone else) have a link?

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  4. I mean their help page text-based tutorials; http://www.videosoftdev.com/how-to-use-free-video-editor
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Re: "I mean their help page text-based tutorials"

Oh, yeah. Of course. Been there, done that.

I'll keep working on it. It's kind of like a Lumosity mind game, to strengthen . . . something. I love a challenge.

Anyone else, don't be shy if you have an answer. I'll report back if I get a solution.

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got your email message regarding my YouTube tutorial. The latest version of VSDC includes quite a few audio editing updates. It's easy to do what you're requesting directly from the program.

1. First click on the Sound2 bar in the timeline to select it,
    2. then click on its tab located directly above the timeline to open it.
    3. In the main Editor menu, click on Audio Effects / Amplitude / Fade out
    4. Verify "To Scene End" is selected, then click OK.

You can fine adjust this fade out from its properties window on the right, mainly adjusting its duration (length of the fadeout), and ending volume.

And as mentioned, there are a lot of other audio editing filters with the latest version of VSDC. Make sure to try them out. You apply them the same way as for the fade out.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I'll give it a try and report back.

Bill
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    t00nz843z,

Thanks a lot. Your instructions were very clear, and the process worked perfectly.

Especially for being free, VSDC has a lot of potential. Now, if they would just hire someone who knows how to write a user's manual. And preferably a version in English, written by someone with a command of the language. Versions in other languages too, of course--with the same stipulations.

When a product is as complex as VSDC, someone has to have the patience to carefully lay out the steps in a way that a layperson can understand.

At least now I have pretty much all the pieces I need to do what I want.

Bill
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Following up on the above, I see now that clicking on the tab is key to many things one might do. For example, I had been struggling with how to add cross fades after the initial wizard is closed. Sure enough, clicking on a video clip's tab and then going to Main Menu --> Video Effects --> Transparent --> Fade out; and then doing the same for the other clip, except using Fade in, created the cross fade effect I was seeking.

In looking through the developers' instructions at http://www.videosoftdev.com/how-to-use-free-video-editor, I see that the tab is mentioned. I missed that.

An excellent way to help someone learn how to use this software would be to give them a project to do, where they follow instructions to build the project, step-by-step.

I'm much more happy about this software now that I'm getting the hang of it.

Thanks all,
    Bill
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Double team spam!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    H.R.,

Please enlighten me. When I googled the term, I found it seems to have something to do with gaming. But not being a gamer (unless you count flight-sims), I don't understand the term.

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by BSquared18 View Post
    I'm much more happy about this software now that I'm getting the hang of it.
    I suspect you'd be happier still if you used a real NLE instead of this toy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix,

I don't want to discourage feedback, but, respectfully, I need to weigh what I require for my projects against what I'm willing to pay. I'm taking video clips that I've made off of a flight sim program, stitching them together, and adding voice and music tracks. Also adding some titles, which I can easily do in Photoshop and blend into the video. I don't use fancy transitions; they're amateurish. Just cross fades where appropriate. And I want to do it in wide-screen HD, which this program can handle.

If I ever need more, I can look elsewhere. But since this program does what I want, and I've invested the time into learning how to use it, why would I want to change now? Why buy a back hoe when a shovel will do the job?

The consensus among reviewers and users is that this program does a lot, especially for being free, but it is challenging to use. I've pretty much overcome the second part. But if you have the names of any free or almost-free video editors that you feel are superior enough to be considered, please let me know.

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks Bill, your response pretty much confirms HR's suspicions of double-team spam.

There's another inexpensive editor I've recommended to the point where I'm feeling like a shill. You can look up some of my older posts if you really want to know.

Happy editing.
    Last edited by smrpix; 3rd Apr 2014 at 13:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still don't know what the heck double-team spamming is! Had never heard the term before.

If the implication is that I'm acting as a shill, that doesn't make a lot of sense, since the program is free.

I started looking through your threads; there are a lot. Can you give me a hint, such as a few words in the thread's title?

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm actually doing this?
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, t00nz843z... your directions were helpful to me, too. As a user of the infamous VSDC, I was not sure how to proceed. Using BSquared18's example, I created a 5-second fade-out object on the timeline at the end of Sound1 and a 5-second fade-in object on the timeline at the start of Sound2. Then I pulled Sound2 ahead by 5 seconds (to create an overlap). Seems to work as a cross-fader for audio.

Any extensive audio editing and processing I need to do I use a separate application called Goldwave. It will certainly cross-fade 2 audio tracks into one, but doing this in VSDC means that I don't have to generate another audio track that clutters up the file folders.

By the way, it's good to know that I'm not the only one struggling with VSDC's poor documentation. The tutorial videos created by users have been absolutely essential in helping me get started.
    Last edited by Fivecorners; 6th Mar 2015 at 22:50.
    Quote Quote