VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone, I am new here and hoping your expertise can help out my family.

We are searching for a service site that can convert our Hi-8 home videos to digital files (mp4s). I search and find a ton of different sites but no idea why some are $5 and some are $50? Could anyone shed some light on the best places to go that do quality work for a fair price.

Please let me know if I should be searching somewhere within the forums. Thanks so much for all of your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How many tapes do you have?
    One of the purposes of this site is to learn how to D.I.Y.
    Some cheap fly-by-night operations simply run off your tapes without regard to the audio being in sync.
    Quote Quote  
  3. We have roughly 60 tapes give or take so that's why we are looking for a service to complete our work. I definitely wanted to go the DIY route, however in looking at scanning in old pictures as well, these processes are extremely time consuming. And with 2 little ones to tend to we are looking for the best possible options for transfers. It looks like we have focused in on iMemories.com to see if they can transfer, but we didn't know if others offered better quality and/or better prices. Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Doing a quick search shows that the going price is about 13.00 US for one tape. That does not include any editing. Add postage and do the math. Your local Walgreens may do it for less. I think even Walmart does it cheaper.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zellmert View Post
    ...It looks like we have focused in on iMemories.com to see if they can transfer, but we didn't know if others offered better quality and/or better prices....
    IIWY I will not be involved with any entity whose name starts with "i".
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you belong to a Costco in your area, you might want to check them out. They have excellent quality and dependability and their prices are no higher than anywhere else. They have pretty much complete photo converting services because they are a family-oriented store and guarantee the results to their members. My sister-in-law is converting all our hi-8 films taken over 50 years and I am impressed with the result. Costco runs "deals" fairly often so wait for a promotion and you will save some money (that's what she does). Trying to do yourself what you need will entail a huge investment in time, and you will need a very dependable movie projector (not easy to find anymore). There are outfits that advertise setups that they will sell you but you are taking your chances. My brother bought one of those once and finally gave up; the results were less that desirable, and that is when he could even coax any results from the contraption.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi8mm and 8mm are video formats easily confused with the earlier 8mm and super8mm film formats requiring a projector
    But I agree...At least use a place that has some sort of guarantee.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    confused with the earlier 8mm and super8mm film
    Ooops, I think you are correct. I was young at the time and didn't pay much attention to my brother's home movies. I still don't know anything about film movie cameras.
    Quote Quote