VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MY SYSTEM SPECS
    (fairly new computer, plenty strong enough for this sort of thing)
    windows 8 professional 64 bit
    intel quad core processor
    8 gigs of ram
    new, good video card
    internal BD burner
    tons of storage space
    ripbot264 1.17.5.7

I went to the store and purchased a Bluray movie. I would like to make a backup copy of this for myself. I do not want to make another physical disk. An mp4 file on my PC will be fine.

A lot of people say good things about ripbot264. I would like to give it a whirl. I have read the tutorial on this board and I have also watched some youtube videos on this product.

However, it has been my experience that the best way to learn software is to use it and play around with it.

I have already installed ripbot264 all of the software that it told me that I need(avisynth, Haali Media Spliter , ffdshow, etc.). Everything is fine with that.

However, when I try to use ripbot to copy the video off of the disk, it does not work. It does see an m2ts file, but it does not see any chapters, or audio or subtitles.

So I guess my question number 1 is...... do I need some sort of decrypter running in the background in order for ripbot to pull the file off of this disk?

My #2 question is that it is giving me an error "cannot open file C:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job\demuxlog.txt"

I looked at file explorer and this file does not exist in this folder. Is it possible for me to create a folder with this and then download the necessary file and put it into this folder?

Thanks!

TC
    Quote Quote  
  2. Decrypt it first to the hard drive using something like DVDFab HD Decrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Ripbot264 does not include a decrypter.

If you want to convert straight from the disc, you would need either AnyDVD HD (recommended) or DVDFab Passkey. DVDFab is having issues, and US citizens may not be able to purchase their programs for the immediate future, but the trial should still be available. Run one of these programs in the background to break encryption.

If you don't mind ripping to the hard drive first, use MakeMKV to rip the main movie to an uncompressed mkv file. Then use this as input into Ripbot. MakeMKV is free to use while in beta, and has been in beta for years. You just need to install new beta keys from their forum each month or so.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick responses and the information.

For these types of projects, I do prefer to download the video file onto a hard drive, and then edit/recode/whatever.

My PC has all the executable data on the C drive(obviously) and I also have an onboard slave drive with 3 TB of storage space.

For other types of video projects that I work on I like to put the original source file on the 3TB drive, and then save the output file to an external HD. That helps to prevent thrashing.

In the past I have made backup files of DVD's before. I used to use Handbrake. I remember that it had to have a decrypter running in the background(such as DVD43). So I kind of figured that my current problem with ripbot might be a similar issue.

As far as bluray decrypters go...... I would like to get something good for free, but I do not mind paying up to 100 bucks or so if I am getting value for the money. If it costs cash in order for me to avoid adware, or watermarks, or other stuff then I will pay.

For decryption purposes, how would you guys rate DVDfab decrypter, vs MakeMKV, vs anydvd decrypter, vs audials software?

For this bluray disk, I would like the output backup file to be 1080p and approximately 3 gig to 4 gigs in size. Obviously, there will be some quality loss compared to the original, but I would like to get the best quality possible for this file size.

How will the quality be if I use Make MKV to download the original file to my hard drive, then use ripbot to make an mp4 AVC 1080p output file approximately 3.5 gigs in size?

Is it going to hurt much for ripbot to convert mkv to mp4?

Thanks!

TC
    Last edited by True Colors; 30th Mar 2014 at 20:21.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It doesn't matter so much what format the video is ripped to, as long as the video itself is just copied. It'll still be converted the same way.

I use AnyDVD for decrypting and the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor for ripping. It's also built into MeGUI (under the Tools menu) which I use for re-encoding, but the program you'd use is largely personal preference. They all re-encode using the same x264 encoder.
    Generally, I'd rip the video to MKV and then convert it. There's no reason why you shouldn't use MakeMKV for the same job though, as long as it can handle the copy protection (I'm not sure if it's updated as often as AnyDVD as I don't use MakeMKV myself).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    If you are going to rip to the hard drive first, then it won't matter which of the decrypters you use, as long as they are current enough to deal with the encryption. Ripping with AnyDVD HD, you are going to get the entire disc onto the hard drive with no compression, either in file format or as an ISO image file. MakeMKV can rip either the main movie as an mkv, or in Backup mode, it can rip the entire disc in file format.

DVDFab includes a lot more, so it is important to use the Blu-ray Copy section of the program, not the "Ripper". When you download Fab, you will get the trial for all of the sections of the program. Once you use the program, you'll only have 30 days in the trial, but when the trial finishes, the section called DVDFab HD Decrypter will still be available. Just click on Try to get into that section after the trial ends. Yes that is confusing. I think intentionally so.

I've always found AnyDVD HD to be the best of the decrypters. It is updated quite often, and you don't often run into issues. They also respond to questions in their forums. It is relatively expensive for the lifetime version of the program.

MakeMKV sometimes lags behind in updates, but for free, you cannot complain.

You won't see any difference in the converted files starting from the mkv file produced by MakeMKV vs the full movie ripped to the hard drive by AnyDVD HD or DVDFab. But reducing a 30+gb Blu-ray down to 3-4gb...you're losing a lot of video quality in this, no matter what program you use. And you'll need to use a much smaller, inferior type of audio. The DTS HD MA audio streams found in Blu-ray are often times as large as your intended target size, all by themselves.

Edit: And I'm beaten to the punch for the second time in this one thread.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also with DVDFab you can rip just the main movie to hard drive, I don't think you can with AnyDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My method for RipBot264: I use AnyDVD HD to rip my BD to a hard drive. Then I access that with RB.

I convert the audio to AC3 surround sound, 640 Kbps, usually from the DTS HD audio.
    I use the MKV container as a output format. The video I set for 2 pass, with a target size of 7900 MB.

This gives me a finished size of about 8100 MB, which fits perfectly onto a DVD DL disc or three onto a BD 25 disc. That's for backup purposes in case of HDD failure.
    The encoding time is about 3 - 4 hours, but the quality is very good. Just run the encodes overnight if your PC is a bit slower.

I agree, 3 - 4 GB will give you poor HD quality, not much better than DVD. 8 GB will look good with 2 pass encoding and AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again guys.

Just so I am understanding correctly, AnyDVD(HD) serves two primary purposes.....

1) It breaks the encryption on BR disks and DVD's
    2) Converts the full size source file to mkv and saves this on my hard drive

Does it have any other significant functionality, or is it mainly just these two things?

Also, I notice on the AnyDVD website they offer a 21 day trial..... are there any limitations with the trial versions, other than the 21 day time restriction?

TC
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    AnyDVD HD will break encryption on Blu-ray and DVD's. It will not rip to an mkv file however.

You have two choices of output when using the built-in ripper within AnyDVD HD. You can rip as files (Blu-ray or DVD video structure), or you can rip to an image of the disc in an ISO file. Some encoders can access the video within the ISO, others need the ISO to be mounted in a virtual drive.

AnyDVD HD does offer other capabilities, one of which is to break Cinavia detction in software players, but that is outside your original question.

The only limitation that I know of in the trial is the time restriction.
    Quote Quote  
  11. AnyDVD will both remove the encryption or it'll rip the disc itself. The former means any program can access the disc as though it has no copy protection as long as AnyDVD is running in the background. You could open the disc directly with a conversion program if you were using one capable of doing so, as long as AnyDVD was running.

Not that I do. I rip the disc first and then convert. AnyDVD mightn't rip the video to MKV itself, but with AnyDVD running in the background the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor will. It'll also convert the audio to another format during the process if you want it to. ClownBD is another program similar to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor. I think it extracts to m2ts rather than MKV.

Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I agree, 3 - 4 GB will give you poor HD quality, not much better than DVD. 8 GB will look good with 2 pass encoding and AC3.
    I've got lots of encodes here which seem to indicate otherwise.
    You wouldn't be able to squish much 1080p video down to 3-4GB without compressing it a bit hard, but if you resize to 720p you certainly can. And given you can generally resize to 720p with negligible (if any) loss of detail, especially if you use noise filtering which removes a bit of fine detail anyway......
    I usually create a script or three at different resolutions, then open each with MPC-HC and run them fullscreen on my TV in order to compare them. If resizing doesn't rob me of much (or any) detail then I encode at a lower resolution. Sometimes that's 720p, sometimes it's 900p, and occasionally I keep the video at 1080p.

True Colors,
    The x264 encoder has a single pass, quality based encoding mode. Instead of picking a file size and hoping for the best in terms of quality, you pick the quality and hope for the best in terms of file size. I generally use the quality based encoding method with the same quality each time (CRF18 up to 720p and CRF20 for 1080p). Because no two video compress the same, and because I encode at different resolutions, the resulting file sizes vary quite a bit. Anything from around 3GB to 8GB or so. If you want 3-4GB file sizes, it'd pay to resize to 720p. The difference is generally negligible, if you can see one at all. Often I keep any AC3 audio (it's generally much smaller than DTS) or I convert the DTS audio to AAC.

As you can see, we all do things a little differently. How you decide to do it is of course up to you.
    Quote Quote