VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I completed ripping the minDV tapes.
    I'm wanting to rip the Hi-8 tapes in a lossless format though, if possible. Since I have the Hi-8 camera going through the minDV camera, is this even possible, or do I need to attach the Hi-8 camera in some other way to be able to make this happen?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT: Made an Error comparing S-Video to DV Video (appearently FCPX previews DV and ProRes422 differently!) Please see next posts below.

ck42: I have been in the process of capturing some old Video8 and Hi8 Tapes for the last few weeks. I had a Sony TRV 480 and TRV 120 Camcorder to use.

I tried the s-video out of the TRV 120 using a Panasonic DMR and going through HDMI to an Blackmagic Intensity Pro.

The Best Picture Quality is with the TRV 120 and DV out (Firewire) in the tests i did.

I am wondering if an Digital8 Player _always_ digitizes even if i connect it to s-video. That might explain the bad results i got via s-video compared to Firewire Output on the same Camera.

Here is an album containing the comparision of TRV 120 DV, TRV 480 DV and TRV 120 S-Video (both with TBC/DNR on and off)

http://imgur.com/a/yVLIc#0

Digital8 Camcorder which can play Video8/Hi8 through Firewire seem to be the best choise. I havent tried with an analog only Hi8 Player, that is still on my toDo List.

The odd thing i encountered is that the TRV 120 Camera does a better Job delivering Video over Firewire, Sharpness and Color is better. TRV480 oversatturated imho. Odd because the 480 is a few years newer than the 120.

I would highly advise against using a Camcorder as a Analog->Digital Passthrough Device. I have tested a few MiniDV and these Digital8 Cams in Combination with a S-VHS Player. The Resulsts are not that great (useable, but not nearly as good as using a Panasonic DMR & HDMI BM Intensity Pro)
    Last edited by Opticum; 27th Apr 2014 at 13:17. Reason: made an error comparing s-video to dv video
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for sharing. Which Panasonic model? Why not S-Video straight from cam to card?

Try taking screenshots using VirtualDubMod. Your "S-Video" shots appear to be utilizing blend deinterlacing, which would ridiculously bias the comparison.

You can attach them to the forum using "Upload Image" instead of offsite linking that can die eventually, by the way. (The forum allows sample videos too, up to 500MB.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I don't have a DMR and don't plan on buying one....so, still wondering about all this.
    Just wanting to know the best/reasonable solution to extract lossless video from the Hi-8 tapes.

Can I even do this by using the miniDV camera as a passthru? If not, what are my options?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Panasonic DMR-575

It seems that FCPX previews DV and ProRes differently. I compared both Videos in VLC and the Capture over S-Video is better than over DV! Colors are better (i think that is due to the way color is done on NTSC and DV is not optimal for NTSC)

attached are the screenshots. I will provide Video samples as soon as i am done recapturing all 6 tapes over s-video (3rd times the charm, eh?)

Above is DV, below was captured via S-Video, Panasonic DMR-575 -> HDMI -> Blackmagic Intensity Pro -> ProRes422
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	trv120-dv.png
Views:	302
Size:	717.7 KB
ID:	24829  

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled04.png
Views:	364
Size:	823.8 KB
ID:	24830  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ck42 View Post
    extract lossless video from the Hi-8 tapes. Can I even do this by using the miniDV camera as a passthru?
    If you mean lossless in the sense of compression, no. Your miniDV camera will compress 5:1 and use 4:1:1 chroma subsampling. An ADVC will do the same thing. It seemed from the last page you already understood this.

Originally Posted by Opticum View Post
    Colors are better (i think that is due to the way color is done on NTSC and DV is not optimal for NTSC)
    So you're not capturing PAL? Any idea why the bottom shot is vertically masked and resized?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    So you're not capturing PAL? Any idea why the bottom shot is vertically masked and resized?
    no, i am capturing ntsc because the tapes i have are ntsc. I am curious about the masking aswell, i will try to find out why it does that. I used blackmagic media express to capture from the intensity pro. (and put all on ntsc / sd / interlaced)

EDIT: It seems that analog capture of NTSC VHS/Hi8 etc. wants 720x486, DV NTSC / DVD is always 720x480 or so i understood.

Here is a link on that topic: http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25015

or just google for "ntsc 480 / 486", lots of hits.
    Last edited by Opticum; 28th Apr 2014 at 07:27. Reason: NTSC 486 vs. 480 lines
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by ck42 View Post
    extract lossless video from the Hi-8 tapes. Can I even do this by using the miniDV camera as a passthru?
    If you mean lossless in the sense of compression, no. Your miniDV camera will compress 5:1 and use 4:1:1 chroma subsampling. An ADVC will do the same thing. It seemed from the last page you already understood this.

Yep, I do understand. What I am/wasn't sure about though is whether or not there was some way to setup the miniDV camera so that it acted as a true passthrough, and would take the Hi-8 data to the computer uncompressed. It sounds like that's not going to be an option.

So....back to the original question then. What's a recommendation for a lossless capture of the Hi-8 tapes that doesn't require some really expensive setup? (Wondering if I should just send the tapes to a service to have this professionally done)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some of us are more than happy enough capturing analogue sources via DV.

The perfectionist route of capturing fully uncompressed is potentially better, but some people seam to find it a real headache, and the improvements range from small to invisible.

Of course, you can get problems capturing straight analogue via DV too.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    Some of us are more than happy enough capturing analogue sources via DV.

The perfectionist route of capturing fully uncompressed is potentially better, but some people seam to find it a real headache, and the improvements range from small to invisible.

Of course, you can get problems capturing straight analogue via DV too.

Cheers,
    David.
    Okay...well, this is good feedback then. If I can be convinced that the results are only slightly better but that the effort/costs are a major factor, then that would probably be enough to sway me away from that route.

For the sake of discussion though, what would be a typical setup to make this happen (for average home user)?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using s-video in of a Panasonic DMR-575, connected via hdmi to a blackmagic intensity pro.
    Quote Quote