VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i do some baseball swing analysis i typically pull clips from website for swings. live hd broadcast are much clearer and not as compressed as websites. is there a way to ( record thru dvr) then record off the dvr to playback on computer to get the high quality? i want to take a game take clips of swings from lets say a recorded espn game. how would i do that to get the highest quality?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course you can record live tv to a dvr. What do you think a dvr is for ?

Of course you can, with the right equipment capture that recording from the dvd to your computer. That is the essence of 'Capturing'

This forum will tell you what equipment you need beit it a hdmi splitter, (possibly) a hdcp-stripper and a HD capture device.

Whether it is legal to re-use broadcast material in this way is an entirely different matter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. yes i understand what a dvr does just trying to capture what i record and convert to a file that i can play back. sorry that i did not make my self to clear
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I do this all the time, but my DVR (provided by a cable company) has component video out and my Hauppauge Colossus card can record component video. If your DVR only supports HDMI output then you may have to spend even more money and get a device that can remove HDMI encryption. Such devices are technically illegal in the USA (because of the DMCA) so they are sometimes sold without any mention of this capability and sold as something like HDMI splitters. We've had threads on them. So what you propose is possible but it depends on your DVR, what kind of output it uses and what your video capture card or device can do.
    Quote Quote